Vinyl Print/Cut with Corel Draw X3 help

Hi folks, new to the forum & hope you can help.  Just a little background about me, I'm a high school teacher and my classes use an Epilog Laser Engraver, Roland GX-24 vinyl cutter, and a Roland VersaCAMM VP-300 printer/cutter.  My question revolves around preparing a graphic to cut using the VP-300 printer/cutter.  I'm sure there's a simple solution for this, but it's been stumping me for a while now to the point where I wanted to see if I could just ask someone that has a greater skill than I do.  We use CorelDraw X3 as our design software.

Let's say that we are creating a vinyl sticker as a class project.  For simplicity, let's just say the project is for the student to create a sticker that is their first name.  So we use the text tool and create the text and give it a fill color - let's say red in this case.  We also use the outline tool to give the text an outline - let's say the color is black.  The problem I'm having is getting an outline color around the black outline that is the CutContour color needed so the VersaCAMM can identify the cut line.  Everything I have tried produces the cutline on BOTH sides of my black outline color.  I want my cut line to be around the outside of the black outline of the text, so the end result is just red letters with a black background.   Most everything I try involves converting the outline to an object, but like I mentioned, it gives me an outline on both sides of my existing black outline, which is no good.

I realize this may be hard to visualize.  I'm not sure if the attachment will come through or not.  If it shows, you can see how the cut line (blue) surrounds my original outline and that's not what I need.

What am I missing?  Thank you in advance!

Marquis Songer

Parents Reply Children