connecting users of the CorelDRAW family of products

.dst file extension???

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 4 Followers

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

Monaliza Posted: Wed, Jul 11 2007 8:47

Greetings!  A friend needs a graphic file in .dst format for embroidery.  My question is, how does one accomplish this?  I have Corel 12 suite.  Can't find that option anywhere.  Not in Photoshop (don't dis me!) either.  Any clues, anyone?

Thanks!

and are therefore most dangerous.”  ~Queen Victoria

Not Ranked
Pittsburgh, PA
Female

a .dst is a stitch file made by embroidery software (such as DRAWings).  You do not have the ability to generate such a file with Corel DRAW alone.  There are also other embroidery softwares available, some extremely expensive.

Susan

Thanks, Susan!  The company that is doing the embroidery is charging them $120 to convert a jpeg to a dst file.  Yowzer! 

Monaliza

Top 25 Contributor
Jacksonville, Florida USA
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

There are tons of digitizing comanies out there. Just try a google search. If you need a good digitizer I can refer you to one in South Cartolina. Goog guy, great digitizing and has 75 heads I believe.

Not Ranked
Pittsburgh, PA
Female

I use Corel DRAWings with some excellent results.   I have a few issues - but I can work around them.  I have not had the necessity to send anything "out" in the past 2 years.  (We like to be in control around here).

Susan

thanks Richard!  Is $120 a fair charge to convert jpeg to dst for embroidery?   .dst is vector based, correct? 

Susan --

Do you export from CorelDRAWings to a .dst?  If so,  I'll download the trial version of CorelDRAWings and see if the "export as .dst" is available.  Thanks!

Not Ranked
Pittsburgh, PA
Female

it's not as simple as that.  there is actually a process.  the image must be vector (can use "corel trace") and then you need to have some knowledge of the understitching, compensations, stitch types....and so on... that's why it is expensive.  shop around and you will probably find a digitizer for less than you were already quoted.

Susan
Not Ranked
Pittsburgh, PA
Female

I just wanted to thank you for posting here, because... i followed your link and found a (program) extension that i have been looking for forever! (Oberon Fit Objects to Path) a big THANK YOU.

Susan
Top 25 Contributor
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

thanks Richard!  Is $120 a fair charge to convert jpeg to dst for embroidery?   .dst is vector based, correct?

Depends on the design being digitized. Normal rates are $10 per thousand stitches with a good digitizer. You can find it cheaper yet most of the time you get what you pay for 

chappel:

it's not as simple as that.  there is actually a process.  the image must be vector (can use "corel trace") and then you need to have some knowledge of the understitching, compensations, stitch types....and so on... that's why it is expensive.  shop around and you will probably find a digitizer for less than you were already quoted.

Thanks, Susan!  I had a feeling that the jpeg would have to be vectored first (personally, I LOVE tracing bmps in CorelDraw -- I'm a bezier-freak!). I know that can be time-consuming, even using CorelTrace (cuz you often have to "fix" things :)  Since it is not as simple as "simply hit export to .dst", I can understand the $120 charge.

~Monaliza

Richard, thank you for the info.  I will pass that on to my friend.  You are absolutely right about getting what you pay for.  Often, time and convenience also justify paying more Smile

~Monaliza

Top 25 Contributor
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

essentially digitizing is going in and pointing and clicking where each stitch goes. Definently an art in its self

chappel:

I just wanted to thank you for posting here, because... i followed your link and found a (program) extension that i have been looking for forever! (Oberon Fit Objects to Path) a big THANK YOU.

Smile Susan, do you mean the "embroidery" tag link?  Or Richard's "unleash.com"?  Wink

I want to thank both You and Richard your time and responses.  This is my first time using the Corel Forums and I'll Be Back! 

~Monaliza

Hi all,

The short answer on DST files is that they are are the embroiderers eqiuivalent of the PDF. However, conversion is not always simple between embroidery machines and softwear programs. We use Wilcom and yes it's VERY expensive. It's the Rolls Royce of design softwear for embroidery and will mport and export almost all stitch formats.

Don't even think of trying to import it into corel or any other drawing program. the design concept is Vector in nature but the output file is purely mechanical in nature. Remember that the final product contains stitches and the art of a good designer is not only to have the design look good it also has to minimise cuts on the threads, allow maximum machine speed, minimum thread changes and no puckering or distortion of the design.

We charge $99 Aust to make the stitch file for the customer but we also supply a stitchout for approval and allow colour / design changes before going ahead with the job. All in all you get your moneys worth from us. 

Wilcom have a free product call True Sizer. You can manupulate a stitch design size only but it also allows you to view the stitch file and print it to a PDF.

Tim C

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.