Corel Draw and keeping up with operating systems.

I've been using Corel Draw X5 and now realize after buying a new PC it is not compatible with Windows 8.1.  Corel says Win 8.1 didn't exist when they were designing X5.  Fair enough.  So, I'm thinking of upgrading to Corel Draw X7.  However, I've heard that Windows 10 is on the horizon.  If I upgrade to Win 10, will I then expect the current  version of Corel Draw to not be compatible?

• I've done some limited testing of X7 in the windows 10 preview and not seen any problems so far. But microsoft could change things before release, so there could be some last minute problems to be fixed.
  • I'd wait. I made the mistake of updating to X7 for the same reasons and it's been a nightmare. I really only had issues with PhotoPaint X5 with effects blowing up in Windows 8.1 but Draw X5 seemed to work OK.

X7 will only frustrate you with how buggy it is. If you're counting on bugs from X5 being fixed in X7 think again. Most still exist.

Some other new bugs/annoyances:

• The fill dialog is MUCH slower and clunky. I.e. it has to make a connection to the internet every time you access it on a new drawing or the fisrt time in a newly opened file. Also, the color picker box can completely overlap the gradient fill dialog.
    • Some fonts can cause issues in X7 that worked fine in X5. I.e. I have some X5 files that I cannot save in X7.
    • Saving takes much longer and the Save Icon is misleading in X7 as it turns gray before the file is actually saved.
    • File sizes can balloon for no apparent reason.
    • It crashes far more often then X5.
    • The standard tool configuration is odd in that the pen tool is missing from the standard toolbar (You can add it back but why should you have to?)  
    • Other tools are missing as well. I.e. the flip options are missing from the mesh object tool bar.
    • I have also noticed that the mouse focus is off as sometimes in that I have to click 3 or more times on a color in the palette before the color is selected/applied.
    • The powerclip tool is annoying in that powerclip objects try to suck in any object you drag over them.
    • In the mesh tool, even the all colors in the mesh are RGB and the default document palette is RGB the color picker will often try to use CYMK.  

If you're lucky, *maybe* they'll have fixed some of the problems with X7 by the time Windows 10 ships. 

• Our goal is to always support the current versions of the Microsoft operating systems with the current version of CorelDRAW Graphics Suite. As Windows 10 is expected to launch later this week and CorelDRAW has been historically on a 24-month cycle, I do expect that X7 will officially support Windows 10 with an update later this year. It will really come down to when we will be able to have a final version of Windows 10 to do our compatibility tests and get the official certification for the OS. But I would expect at this stage that the update we plan to release in the fall will have Win10 compatibility included.

Gérard @ Corel

• Thank you for the reply.  I might be stuck on this issue.  After several tries, I can't get X5 to run on my new computer with Windows 8.1.  Based on my reading, that's not an uncommon problem and Corel doesn't seem to be very supportive.  I was hoping X7 would get me up and running as well as retrieve some of my old projects.  By the time I get my devices and other apps set up, I don't expect to jump into Win 10 any time soon.  
  • Hi

This year and next are going to be significant change years with windows 10. I hope both x6 and x7 will run on it. X6 six runs great in win 8.1 for us. Corel do a pretty good job of keeping up with Op Systems, think of all the issues for the folks writing macros. Corel may have a super opportunity this year because it seems Adobe are finally going to support touch screens and allow interface adjustments by users. Mac users don't have touch screens so they may switch to pc I have had a lot of crashes on an early release of win 10 with Cs6 so adobe may finally be cloud only to run well so actually buying software may not be possible from adobe. Mybe some mace users will look at Corel

ross blair