connecting users of the CorelDRAW family of products

Cutter/Plotter software

This post has 13 Replies | 4 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS

Top 500 Contributor
Lapeer, MI
Male
Ronald Bastian Posted: Thu, Jun 25 2009 15:05

I know there are several high priced software solutions out there for the cutter. Is there a third party software that can take what is on the CorelDRAW Screen and sent it to the cutter with one click of the button. Something that does not open another program or that I have to import the design to. I want to simply click a button and start cutting.

Please let me know what software you are using, How much you paid for it and what you like most about it. I am looking to increase production in the shop and if the design is all ready to cut, IE no overlapping lines, sized properly, etc. then why can we just send it to the cutters. Right no I have FlexiSign and hate the time it takes to Export, Import, Fix, then send to cut. The transition from a CorelDRAW file to that program drives me nuts and I just cant find a good filter to use that does not make me fix something that is just fine in CorelDRAW.

Anyone else frustrated? Or is it just hot in here.

Ron Bastian

Top 50 Contributor
Houston, Texas
Male
Depending on what version of Flexi you are using, Flexi can open some
CDR files and CMX. We had more luck with the CMX files than saving the
CDR down to version 9 or 10 (I can't remember which version our Flexi
supports).

We looked into a few solutions. CoCut is a plug-in style program. It
adds a cutting icon on your toolbar. You select what you want to cut and
hit the icon. It brings up a window (actually the cutting program but
that's splitting hairs) and you set up your cutting options. It's
basically the same process as printing something. Click the button, set
up options and hit GO.

There are a couple of different programs that work the same way but
CoCut was the only one I personally tried. I'm sure there are a few
other guys here that will chime in.

Steve
www.brutefish.com

Ronald Bastian wrote:
> I know there are several high priced software solutions out there
> for the cutter. Is there a third party software that can take what is on
> the CorelDRAW Screen and sent it to the cutter with one click of the
> button. Something that does not open another program or that I have to
> import the design to. I want to simply click a button and start cutting.
>
> Please let me know what software you are using, How much you paid
> for it and what you like most about it. I am looking to increase
> production in the shop and if the design is all ready to cut, IE no
> overlapping lines, sized properly, etc. then why can we just send it to
> the cutters. Right no I have FlexiSign and hate the time it takes to
> Export, Import, Fix, then send to cut. The transition from a CorelDRAW
> file to that program drives me nuts and I just cant find a good filter
> to use that does not make me fix something that is just fine in CorelDRAW.
>
> Anyone else frustrated? Or is it just hot in here.
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Ronald Bastian (I hope this helps Yes, Let me know)
>
>
> (586) 218-3292 Direct Line ~ support@garmentgraphicsnetwork.com
> email ~
> www.CorelDRAW.ning.com Help Web Site
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> http://community.coreldraw.com/forums/p/14612/59064.aspx#59064
>
Top 10 Contributor
Uruguay
Male
CorelDRAWMaster
Ariel replied on Thu, Jun 25 2009 16:55

for several plotters you don't need more than CorelDRAW. I use for example a Graphtec plotter and I sent directly to the plotter, as any printer. The object must be vector, with black hairline outline, and without fill. That's all. Of course, you must install the drivers, and you will have all the options available. Is more easy, fast and flexible than other programs such as FlexiSign

Ariel Garaza Díaz

Top 200 Contributor
Pottstown,PA
Male

Me too. I cut right from Draw using your parameters. Also, if I may add, objects must be clean, i.e. no crossing lines and no pieces of clipart made up of NUMEROUS objects. That kinda stuff drives my Roland nuts and usually results in messed up vinyl wherever the knife cuts more than once. - Scotty

Top 25 Contributor
Cave Creek, AZ
Male
TAG - Mediamarketplace (Foster)
Ronald,

Some of the cutters have a driver that will allow this. I'm not in the cutting business, but I would definitely go for the "other program" since they tend to offer lots of other options for optimizing the output.

FWIW, Corel sells both CoCut X4 and CoCut X4 Pro on their Web site. If I was buying, that's where I would start.

I cut directly from Corel using an ancient version of DrawMate.

Just click the little icon.................send to cutter.

Done. Simple. Easy cheesy.

Downside is that it ONLY works with Corel 7...........so, in essence, I actually have to save the X3/X4 back down to ver.7 for it to work.

When my XP computer bites the dust, I'm going to get crazy.

I'm not a fan of 'cutter' software. Sorry, guys, but Co-Cut drives me up the wall.

I don't want bells & whistles.

A simple "send to cutter" icon is just my cup of tea.

Diane Jersey Girl
Top 10 Contributor
Lancaster, PA USA
Male

Ron what version of FlexiSign do you have?  I use a Roland that requires an outline be applied and the CutContour color be assigned to that outline.  This seem to be the case for many other applications.  I would also like to hear all the details of a Draw direct solution.

David Milisock

Top 10 Contributor
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Male
TAG - MacroMonster.com
Hi Ariel,

I sent to 2 units:

Roland Camm-1
Roland SP540-V

Camm-1 is simple Windows print driver I access from Draw print engine. Similar to Graphtec it seems... hairline only, no fills. Easy, fast, productive.

SP540V is cutter/CMYK wide format. I think it's possible to access through driver also, but for some reason I import EPS's into Versaworks instead. I must ask myself why I take the extra step... :-P

<Ariel> wrote in message news:59070@coreldraw.com...

for several plotters you don't need more than CorelDRAW. I use for example a Graphtec plotter and I sent directly to the plotter, as any printer. The object must be vector, with black hairline outline, and without fill. That's all. Of course, you must install the drivers, and you will have all the options available.

Top 10 Contributor
Uruguay
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

Jeff Harrison:

Hi Ariel,

I sent to 2 units:

Roland Camm-1
Roland SP540-V

Camm-1 is simple Windows print driver I access from Draw print engine. Similar to Graphtec it seems... hairline only, no fills. Easy, fast, productive.

SP540V is cutter/CMYK wide format. I think it's possible to access through driver also, but for some reason I import EPS's into Versaworks instead. I must ask myself why I take the extra step... :-P

Hi, Jeff. I also send files to a Roland Soljet plotter using Versaworks altough it requires to use a special color named CutContour and export as EPS. Also, a milling machine uses a very similar system and options, you must send as eps (no matter what color do you use) and send to cut. CorelDRAW is the best for this

Ariel Garaza Díaz

Top 10 Contributor
Murrieta, California, U.S.
Male

Ronald, I, too, have CoCut X4 Pro. With a single click, I send my files to my cutter and the cutting software(CoCut) allows me further manupulation, if I wish, or I can cut the vinyl, directly, with one more single click of the mouse. The nice thing about CoCut, is that it handles many cutters from different manufacturers. I have been using CoCut since Ver 11, and I love it.

HuMJohn aka Hugh Johnson

Top 500 Contributor
Lapeer, MI
Male

I own Flexi 7 and don't wan to spend the money upgrading that.

Ron Bastian

Now recently i use flexi sign pro 7.5 . but there r some limitations in it like  it requires old construction mother board, can not install on windows 7 etc. 

i am in search of new version of flexi sign . can u plz suggest any websites .. for it.......  it will be very nice if i get a free download site. 

if u read this plz let me know.... as soon as possible............

thank u.........   

Top 10 Contributor
Pigeon Forge, TN
Male
TAG - gdgmacros.com

Hi.

Hands down Cocut Pro! Big Smile

If you are a small shop with only 1 cutter you might be able to get away with using only CorelDraw as Ariel suggested. If you have many cutters and want to drive them all at once Cocut is essential for a nice productivity boost. I run 4 cutters several hours daily all at once using Cocut from a single Machine. The same machine simultaneously drives a large format printer cutter too!

Cocut makes it easy to manage jobs, determine what machine is cutting what job, and easily resend a job that was sent in event of a problem. Keep your Flexisign just for the Contours, quick Shadows, and handy Envelope Tools but other than that retire it from cutting.

Oh, and never save any designs in FlexiSign format. Once you get many it will be tedious to convert them one by one if you ever decide to make a change. CorelDraw offers many batch operations and the ability to add on macros that can out perform Flexi in many ways.

Good luck!

~John

Visit me at my GDGMacros website anytime!

Join me on Facebook to stay up to date with GDGMacros, Tips and Tricks for VBA Automation in CorelDraw, Discounts, specials, Free code and macros, and more cool sometimes not so relevant posts!

Top 10 Contributor
Virginia USA
Male

Hello Ron; One thing to think about when buying a cutter or cutting software is the limit of the cutter, a cutter could have a 60" length limit so you wouldn't have to have a software that would cut a 150' roll without paneling, Also you wouldn't want a 60" limit software to hold a unlimited length cutter back.
  The other thing to keep in mind is what do you want the cutting software to do, do a shadow in Corel takes a little extra work to get it to look GOOD when cut, where as SignLab is the best software for it that I have found, ( But is it worth the extra money? ) Corel can make any type of sign design that you could want, the longer you use it and the better you get to know it the less time it takes to get a job ready for cutting. Printing and cutting vinyl are not always done with the same layout, ( No blending of colors with vinyl unless you are willing to use a air brush ) The vinyl makes a longer lasting sign. ( It doesn't UV as fast ) If you need a sign to last the longest stay away from red's They sun fade first.)

George

TheSignGuy

Computer i5 Intel 2500K 4.0 mh, 16 gig Ram, SSD Main Drive, 1T WD Black, 1T Segate, 2 gig DDR 5 G Force Video card, Windows 7 Utl. 64 bit, ASRock Extreme 4 Mobo

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.