PDF Compression question

When creating PDFs for print publication, under the section 'OBJECTS '- 'PDF Compression type' I have always chosen none or ZIP. However, I have come across a small local printer recently that does not have an upload page on his website and when I delivered a file he asked me why the file was so huge?

Firstly, I checked the help files and they claim these compression types are available:

None
LZW
JPEG
ZIP
JP2

As you can see from the screenshot my choices do not include what the help shows. In any case, I have never used the JPG choice for compression because it shows High or Low quality and I have no idea how far to go with that compression and still maintain the highest quality with the smallest file size.

The help files do not expand on the properties of saving using jpeg compression, so if any of you have some suggestions or input I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks NM

• The file may be huge because first you didn't resample the images you placed in Draw and second you bitmap down sampling may not be working. Third did you convert all the fonts to curves in Draw? If so that increases the PDF file size.

Why does the printer care? If I need to transfer a file I just upload the file to my web site ans email a download link.