connecting users of the CorelDRAW family of products

Why does Corel Draw Graphics Suite X5 feel more like beta software?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 35 Replies | 7 Followers

Page 2 of 3 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

formula409x@gmail.com posted on Sat, Apr 10 2010 1:26

Iv been a Corel user since 1994 and the last version I bought was 11 and have used it happily. I moved to X5 for the new features and multi core support.  Iv had to redo so much work as a result of using Corel Draw X5. To clarify, I do have the boxed retail edition of X5 and never had the demo running the aft mentioned machine.

I would say I have a fast and capable enough machine to run X5. I have a Corei7 920 running at 4.3Ghz , 6Gb's of RAM, a ATI HD5770 and im running Win 7 64bit. Its a fresh install. The overclock is solid and have torture tested running two instances of Prime95 pushing all cores, 8 threads to 100% for 25 hours with no errors. Memory tested with Memtest 15 hours with no errors. Windows 7 is fully updated, No Anti Virus installed, and the only other Applications installed are After Effects CS4 and Cinema4D Studio R11.5. I had many of the same issues in the Corel X5 trial on my WindowsXP SP3 machine.

Yes i have had the same results not overclocked. After Effects and C4D have been Solid.

Uninstall and reinstall shows no improvement in the issues faced. Safe mode=no change, F8 on PP startup= no change.

1. My issues are mainly concerning Photopaint which iv spent the most time in.
  2. When Using the drop shadow tool, If i split the shadow from the object, 95% of the time there is a crash. even if thats the first thing done as soon as i start up PP.
  3. Copy and paste objects with drop shadow, i would say 6 out of ten times causes an error or crash.
  4. seems to be a memory leak, having Photopaint open and system manager open i can see a rise in the use of memory just doing nothing. it takes time but PP starts to eat memory all by itself. 
  5. minimize, maximize and close buttons disapear after a bit from all image windows in PP.
  6. Autosave popping up while manulay saving can cause a crash 
  7. quite a few out of memory errors even though i have several gigabytes free.
  8. if using PP for say more then 10 minutes and sometimes less, many times when i go to save or export, all thumbnails in the explorer view of the save dialog are missing and pressing save does nothing. clearing all memory from Edit>Purge menu item will sometimes bring the ability to save the project back.
  9. The errors happen with any size file, any type of file. I can reproduce the same errors over and over.
  10. Of course Corel Connect is a known offender of doing nothing but crashing Photopaint.
  11.  Some other things like ungrouping  layers or combining lays can cause an crash.

LIke some of the other Corel versions I had, i had to wait for service packs and patches to have a solid running copy of Corel. But in a professional setting, using software that has this many issues seriously hurts productivity and is a time and money waister. Iv read numerous posts here and in other forums of people having issues like mine or worse with X5.

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Stockholm, SWEDEN (Europe) Illustrator & Artist
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

Anyone using CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X4 should download the service pack 2.
I am working professionally like Ariel does on a daily basis, and after the service pack 2 came out for X4, I never, I mean NEVER had any bad related issues. That siad, of course people work differently, and small things always slip through the net when beta testing a product. But in general I would say that X4 is a brilliant and stable version.

The new X5 will get a service pack as well, no doubt, so when that comes everyone should download and install the service packs.

What people consider professional or not is a matter of taste, but facts are that CorelDRAW Graphics Suite is a professional suite. It is rediculous to claim otherwise.

If I would complain on every bug I hear about regarding Adobe Creative suites 2, 3, 4 from other freelancing collegues in my line of business, I would most definitly claim that Adobe CS versions are predominantly made for hobbyists.

Top 25 Contributor
Cave Creek, AZ
Male
TAG - Mediamarketplace (Foster)
Chris,

I run X5 on Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate and don't have the problems others are reporting here. Don't interpret this that X5 is without bugs as it has them. Just not the crazy instability others are reporting.

Top 10 Contributor
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Male
TAG - MacroMonster.com
I run X5 on Win 7 Home 64. I see the occasional quirk, but nothing disastrous.
<FosterCoburn> wrote in message news:84290@coreldraw.com...
I run X5 on Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate and don't have the problems others are reporting here. Don't interpret this that X5 is without bugs as it has them. Just not the crazy instability others are reporting.
Top 10 Contributor
Murrieta, California, U.S.
Male

I run X4 & X5 on Win 7, both 32 bit and 64 bit, Professional. I have not experienced anything like what some people are reporting. I do find some quirks with X5, but nothing that I can not put up with, and yes, I am awaiting the Service Pack for X5, for more stability. But that does not mean I do not perform most of my work on X5, I do use X5 as my main graphics workhorse.

HuMJohn aka Hugh Johnson

Top 10 Contributor
El Paso, TX
Male
TAG - gdgmacros.com

Just a quick note. Aren't all versions of CDGS the same concerning stability and issues until service packs are released. Most even have 2 service packs. Even cdr9 had it's issues.

After both service packs, and you learn the program well inside and out, including learning any small barely inconvenient  workarounds needed, the suite really performs.

I'm guessing x5 will be the same and eventually be the winner it was designed to be. It's gotta be next to impossible to release perfect new version of any program, especially one with millions of lines of code, anyways.

-John

Visit me at my GDGMacros website anytime!

Join me on Facebook to stay up to date with GDGMacros, Tips and Tricks for VBA Automation in CorelDraw, Discounts, specials, Free code and macros, and more cool sometimes not so relevant posts!

Top 500 Contributor
Adelaide, Australia
Male

I find some of these replies almost offensive (see Ariels post)... stop denying that there are major issues here, it doesn't help - pointing out that someone incorrectly called Corel studio or suite is wasting my time!

As a massive Corel fan, and a user since version 9 I feel comfortable to say version x4 and x5 are really disappointing in the way or reliability and performance.

My company still hasn't upgraded to x4 due to the issues we have had since day 1 - the service pack made no difference.

I have trialled x5 for a day and will be uninstalling and re-trialling again when the service pack is released.  This is so frustrating!

I love Corel, please help me so I can continue using the program I love!

I couldn't open 2 out of the 3 files I tried to test Corel x5 on.  They weren't complicated files by any stretch.

Corel guys need to drop this defensive attitude, we are here to help improve the software.  I'm not bagging it, I just want to help solve the issues that hold me back.  I use Corel 12 - 16 hours a day.  A repetitive issue can cost me hours!!

Specs
Using a SONY VGN-AW35GJ with Windows Vista 64-bit.  Relatively new install.

Brett

Not Ranked
Australia
Male

I will take you all on a trip down memory lane ( pardon the pun). I started with Corel version 5 in the 90's. It was a stable rock solid performer under Win 3.1 Windows 98 saw me on version 7 and still all good. Forward to 2003, XP and version 11. Now you guys say there is problems with X4 and X5 and 11 was a little beauty. Well I am the exact opposite. Version 11 was the version from hell. It brought down my brand new PC at the time- totally. I won't bore you with a long winded discussion on why but it was the culprit in the end. It finally decided to behave after much tweaking and patching but my love affair with Draw took severe damage for a long time after. I have tried to install 11 on several other pc's since that original installation as I have upgraded but it refused to run. Funny thing was that RAVE the animation app that came with it runs flawlessly and had many of the same tools as Draw but draw itself would fail to run on these newer machines. Forward to late 2009. I thought new machine so forgive Corel and give X4 a go. This is where the story ends. It runs perfectly and I am very happy with it. So we each have our own experiences with Corel products. The point is we should all have the same experience. And that would be a happy and stable one. I must say. Corel --get your act together. You could have had it all. Now Adobe owns the world. You know it. I know it. Change that. Draw is the best--we all know it. It deserves better.

Top 25 Contributor
Stockholm, SWEDEN (Europe) Illustrator & Artist
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

Brett:
Corel guys need to drop this defensive attitude

If I dont view CDGS to be a program for hobbyist, why then is it offensive if I or anyone else react towards someone who claim it is?
If someone claimed Adobe CS versions to be for hobbyist I would react the same way.

Brett:
we are here to help improve the software

Thats what I have been doing when  being a beta tester, report, report, report all possible bugs found.

Brett:
I just want to help solve the issues that hold me back.

Best way is to report the issues you are having. If you are not a beta tester, then try to become one, if you still arnet a beta tester, then report the issues you are having. I am certain that if you are experiencing bugs and files you cant work with, then if Corel will get notified about it and can duplicate your bugs, the for sure it will be solved. But unless bugs are reported and explaind exactly how in a manner people can replicate/duplicate your bugs, then its difficult to for example me as a user like you are, to confirm its a bug that must be fixed.

Its one thing to simply say that something isnt working, without telling in detail whats happening, what people like to accomplish and the end result and soo on.

Brett:
stop denying that there are major issues here, it doesn't help

I just re-read and saw that user in here DO acknowledge that issues, bugs are there. No one have denied it. Simply not having the same experience as the original poster.

Being a Beta tester myself, I know that things are being reported, but because I dont know your specific issues you are encountering, its in all fareness rather difficult to understand what, more than simply understanding that you have an issue. So in all fareness nr 2. dont hesitate to make a pedagogically understandable report. Send it to some of the Corel employees you see on this forum, and write something on this forum, so other users around the world can see if they experience the same thing.

Top 25 Contributor
Jordan
Male

Brett:
Corel guys need to drop this defensive attitude, we are here to help improve the software.

I agree, and I believe Corel does listen and does appreciate your help, and builds on our reports. We should keep reporting and keep trying to solve the reported.

Here on my machine (specs below), I have a stable CorelDRAW X5. But I do feel that it performs slower than X4. Rarely and I don't know when and how to reproduce it, CorelDRAW shows a slow response even when selecting a tool; I click on a tool and have to wait until CorelDRAW switches to that tool :(

Windows XP Home (Service Pack 3)
Dell Dimension DXP061
Intel Core2 CPU
6300 @ 1.86GHz
1 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE, 512 MB
ESET Smart Security 4.0.314.0

Latest on my gallery: Cycling and Sunset

Ahmad Ajlouny:

Brett:
Corel guys need to drop this defensive attitude, we are here to help improve the software.

I agree, and I believe Corel does listen and does appreciate your help, and builds on our reports. We should keep reporting and keep trying to solve the reported.

Here on my machine (specs below), I have a stable CorelDRAW X5. But I do feel that it performs slower than X4. Rarely and I don't know when and how to reproduce it, CorelDRAW shows a slow response even when selecting a tool; I click on a tool and have to wait until CorelDRAW switches to that tool :(

Windows XP Home (Service Pack 3)
Dell Dimension DXP061
Intel Core2 CPU
6300 @ 1.86GHz
1 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE, 512 MB
ESET Smart Security 4.0.314.0

Hi Ahmad, everyone I have a PC simular to Ahmad but a generic graphics card and it is slow but I do not have a crash for some time as a retired person I do not push as hard and as fast as a professional user  and so less problems.

I am a new betta tester this time and I am amazed at the time and effort that most testers have put into this x5 version I have been using Corel since v2

and i have not seen half of what Draw and Photo Paint could do until I became a tester this group of testers have put them selves up to long hours of testing and discussion and also working their day job and spending untold hours on different forums helping users and of course they have been payed a large amount  Your help in telling them what is wrong and your thanks that is all they  get or ask for.

I personally have learnt so much from them as a group and I thank them for their advice.

Have any of you really thought about how manny different PC and hardware and different software products their is and the different versions and all the XP and windows 7 versions that combine to make Corel Draw X5 work 

Yes their is bugs every program has them let us find them and repair them.

I think that the Corel team of programers are absolutely up their with the best and I thank them as well.

Now you the user who comes to these forums help the people who are trying to help you at no cost only because they want to help

Explain your problem in a clear way description of what went wrong and remember they are not getting payed they are just trying to help and sometimes the correct reply is not comming forward that you want to hear.

I call these people my friends and you should also

enjoy

Joe

Top 50 Contributor
Croatia
Male

As I see it, lots of people here missing the point - It's not about CD is bad program; It's good program,  but when you paid for it you expect some security for your work. Point is that there are lots of things in Corel that shouldn't be there - you didn't pay for that.

Someone can be mad, angry or whatever but Adobe is far more stable than CD.

My experience says that version 10 was catastrophic (several times exe file just disappeared; couldn't repair it - had to uninstall it and than install it again) .

Best earlier version was 7. The most stable version ever.

And now I'm on X4 and have no complaints - CD working perfectly...

Top 10 Contributor
Uruguay
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

wache:
As I see it, lots of people here missing the point - It's not about CD is bad program; It's good program,  but when you paid for it you expect some security for your work. Point is that there are lots of things in Corel that shouldn't be there - you didn't pay for that.

The main problem is not how much paid, if it's cheap or expensive, if you buy a program must work fine allways. I use CorelDRAW every day, and have no problems, also I use Illustrator and other program (I was teacher of Adobe software for years) and I found better results with CorelDRAW than Adobe. There's a lot of job that I do with CorelDRAW and can't do it with Illustrator or Indesign, and there's a lot of opthers that i can do obn both but I do faster and better with CorelDRAW. And there's only a few thing that I can do better wit Adobe software.

wache:
Someone can be mad, angry or whatever but Adobe is far more stable than CD

perhaps it's your own experience or your personal impression, but this is not true. Read this post:  http://community.coreldraw.com/forums/p/8273/77243.aspx#77243

wache:
My experience says that version 10 was catastrophic (several times exe file just disappeared; couldn't repair it - had to uninstall it and than install it again) .

I agree with this, v.4.0 and 10.0 were the wrost version I've seen

wache:

Well, really not. The v.8 was better than 7.0 and v.9.0 was far better, faster and stable than v.7.0.

wache:
And now I'm on X4 and have no complaints - CD working perfectly...

I know, btw some people have some problems with CorelDRAW x4,. and some people never had problems with this version. All that said some people about X5 and its problems, is the same when Corel launches x4 and x3.... but now, there's only a few problems, only a little if you compare with any earlier version. Of course, I don't want any problem, and I wish a progrma almost perfect. But believe, X5 is the better version since many years, at least since v.9.0

Ariel Garaza Díaz

Top 25 Contributor
Santos, Brazil
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

Ariel:
The main problem is not how much paid, if it's cheap or expensive, if you buy a program must work fine allways.

HIT THE SPOT!

Top 50 Contributor
Croatia
Male

Ariel:

wache:
Someone can be mad, angry or whatever but Adobe is far more stable than CD

perhaps it's your own experience or your personal impression, but this is not true. Read this post:  http://community.coreldraw.com/forums/p/8273/77243.aspx#77243

Of course that it is my personal impression (I can't speak for others).

Ariel:

wache:

Well, really not. The v.8 was better than 7.0 and v.9.0 was far better, faster and stable than v.7.0.

Again, that is my experience and I stand by it. I had lots of problems with 8 as much as with 9. For version 10 I already said everything needed to be said.

The issues im having along with some others that have posted pretty much match up so its not just a fluke. The real issue is this. Corel puts software out with some major problems the regardless if some users do not see, because for one, they may not use the same tools, file formats, image sizes or many may use Corel Draw and not Photopaint as much where im having my issues. Whay should we have to wait for a service pack to stop a retail program from corrupting files, not opening formats needed on a daily basis, or freezes or crashes. I work with large files and found several things within Photopaint causing a memory leak. I get out of memory errors frequently in Photopaint X5 even though task manager says I have 2GB's or more free memory. Its things like that. Corel needs to spend just a bit more time when making software to work the bugs out, have public betas and such with a report system so when the final product is out, most issues will be gone.

Page 2 of 3 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.