connecting users of the CorelDRAW family of products

Pen Tool

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS

hoofa posted on Tue, Oct 19 2010 5:32

Brand new to Corel Draw.

Sorry about the simplistic question but can someone help me.

Recently scanned a picture, after much frustration learnt how to use the pen tool.

Completed the outlining of a magazine trophy image and then when I go to save it or move it, I only get the outline that I did with the pen tool.

This may be a simple question but if someone  would be kind enough to help, it would be much appreciated.

One day I may be able to contribute.

Thank you.

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Malaysia
Male

Make sure your traced outline is a closed curve.

Select the curve and select the image by holding down the Ctrl key, intersect the image with the curve.

Michael Teoh

Top 10 Contributor
Pigeon Forge, TN
Male
TAG - gdgmacros.com

hoofa:

Brand new to Corel Draw.

Sorry about the simplistic question but can someone help me.

Recently scanned a picture, after much frustration learnt how to use the pen tool.

Completed the outlining of a magazine trophy image and then when I go to save it or move it, I only get the outline that I did with the pen tool.

This may be a simple question but if someone  would be kind enough to help, it would be much appreciated.

One day I may be able to contribute.

Thank you.

Hi.

When you saved did you have the selected only checkbox checked?

Also when you open the document, make sure there are no other pages. The graphic could be on another page.

Also double click the magnifying glass tool. This will put all items into view.

Also try switching your view. Got to View > Enhanced.

-John

Visit me at my GDGMacros website anytime!

Join me on Facebook to stay up to date with GDGMacros, Tips and Tricks for VBA Automation in CorelDraw, Discounts, specials, Free code and macros, and more cool sometimes not so relevant posts!

Top 150 Contributor
Namibia
Male
I have really never used the pen tool. i do all my tracings with besier. Whts the difference between them. Whn would u use thm individually
Creation pcut ct 630 vinyl cutter
Top 25 Contributor
Olympia, WA, USA
Male

Cocco:
I have really never used the pen tool. i do all my tracings with besier. Whts the difference between them. Whn would u use thm individually

I guess it is a matter of personal preference -- I like using the 'Freehand' tool while others like the 'Bezier' tool.  The difference that I notice is that with the bezier tool, once you have completed a circuit (closing at the end of the start), you have to click the tool again is you wish to draw at a different location or else the line continues from the last area, while with the freehand tool, although it will draw each seperate area, there remains a continuous feeding of a line, so that you may need to pay special attention where you place each tip.

Let not the one who says it can't be done interrupt the one who is doing it.

Top 150 Contributor
Namibia
Male
The freehand tool is too difficult for me. I only use it for short lines.
Top 10 Contributor
Virginia USA
Male

Hello hoofa; To move something it needs to be secected. You can do that a lot of ways, You can select one item holld the "shift key" and select the next and so on, If you want to select all the items on the screen you can doubel click the "pick tool".

George

TheSignGuy

Computer i5 Intel 2500K 4.0 mh, 16 gig Ram, SSD Main Drive, 1T WD Black, 1T Segate, 2 gig DDR 5 G Force Video card, Windows 7 Utl. 64 bit, ASRock 4 Extreme Mobo

Many thanks for your help

Must still be doing something wrong.

Just to explain, I have scanned a page from a brochure with a range of trophy pics on it.

I then take it into Corel draw, select that section and then proceed to use the pen tool to draw completely around the object. The curve is all joined up.

Then when I go to  move it, the image stays where it is and when I cut and paste or save all I get is the outline i did with the pen tool and no image.

Any ideas.

Top 150 Contributor
Namibia
Male
U must have locked the object by accident. Right click on the object and unselect. Or right click again, choose properties and see if its nt selected as wrapped text,
Top 25 Contributor
Olympia, WA, USA
Male

I think I am beginning to see the issue.  You are trying to use the pen tool to draw around the image and then remove just the image you have drawn around.  The pen tool won't do that.  What you need to do is right click the bitmap image that you have and select "Edit Bitmap" which will take the image and re-open it in Corel-Paint, then select the 'Freehand' tool; draw around the image you want; and then you may move it wherever you wish.

Top 10 Contributor
Virginia USA
Male

Hello Again hoofa; This may not pertain to what you want, but give the "crop tool" a try on the left tool bar.( if your tool bars are like they came out of the box.)

George

TheSignGuy

Computer i5 Intel 2500K 4.0 mh, 16 gig Ram, SSD Main Drive, 1T WD Black, 1T Segate, 2 gig DDR 5 G Force Video card, Windows 7 Utl. 64 bit, ASRock 4 Extreme Mobo

I really do appreciate all the help you have all given me. I am overwhelmed by all your help

Tonight i will work through your suggestions and see what I come up with.

Once again

Thanks a million. Will let you know how I go.

Top 200 Contributor
Pennsylvania

I think you need to look into the power clip tool.

Top 25 Contributor
Olympia, WA, USA
Male

TheSignGuy:

Hello Again hoofa; This may not pertain to what you want, but give the "crop tool" a try on the left tool bar.( if your tool bars are like they came out of the box.)

George

George may have something here.  I now correct myself -- using the 'knife tool' in the crop tool pop-out allowed me to cut a piece of a .jpeg.  This may be your easiest solution.

Thanks George!! BeerYes

Top 10 Contributor
Virginia USA
Male

Hello; the knife tool will take out what you cut, the crop tool leaves what you select.

George

TheSignGuy

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.