Maintaining DPI for hi-res printing.

OK Photo-Paint users,

I thought of a question that has been bugging me for a while. Perhaps you could shed some light on this for me.

I am confused about checking and maintaining the dpi of a hi-res image.

Here is my usual situation:

I take a high-res image using a Canon 20D which shoots 8.2 mega-pixels.

A typical image size is 3504x2336 and it's between 3 to 5 MB depending on the image of course. The camera saves them as .jpg

I open it in PPX3 and do a few things to it and now I want to save it at the same hi-res it was in the first place.

Is it best to just do a Save-As and maybe choose the TIFF format, or choose .jpg with no added compression and a 4:4:4 sub-format?

How do I check what the dpi was in the original photo?

Should I be using Image / ReSample to save it?

Resample always defaults to 72dpi for web images. If I bump up the dpi setting to 300, does that have a bad effect on the image?

Anyway, what's the best way to maintain the highest resolution for printing large images?

Thanks in advance!

Parents
  • Check the maintain original size box in the re sample dialog and re sample to the resolution required for output.  You will see the physical dimension change.  The physical size that you can print for any image is dictated by the original pixel count, (image size in Corel PP) By following the above procedure you can set the resolution to that required for output and PP will automatically display and size the image to the maximum physical size for that resolution.

Always use TIF or CPT format for best quality.

All layered (multiple objects) files, duotones and spot colored files must be placed into Draw as CPT files.  The reasons are about a 10 page dissertation on postscript output.

Reply Children