print legal size document

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

I am hoping for some help on an issue I cannot seem to resolve myself. (Well, I guess that's pretty obvious, isn't that what all the questions are about?Smile) How do I get CorelDraw to tell my printer that my document is legal-sized? Corel seems to well-aware, but somehow the printer is not getting the message.

Hmm, I guess some system info might be useful: CorelDraw X4 on Microsoft Vista, trying to print to a network printer, Xerox WorkCentre 7655.

The document itself is two pages, set to legal size by going to Layout > Page Setup. "Options" dialog box opens. Navigate to Document > Page > Size. For the field "Paper," select option of "Legal" from dropdown.

That seems great, but when I go to print, the "Print" dialog box opens, and there is always an issue of "Output doesn't fit on media." The suggested resolution is: "Suggestion: To resolve the situation, design your document to a smaller size, choose a larger media size in Properties under the General tab, or select the Fit To Page option under the Layout tab."

I have tried the suggested fix. (tab: General tab, click button; Properties. A dialog box opens for my printer's properties. Change my paper to Legal size.) This does NOT resolve the problem, and my document will print in letter size with the top 3” cut off.

Now, by poking & prodding, I think I have discovered the problem, which is that somehow Corel is telling my printer that the document is letter sized (or somehow that is what my printer is ‘hearing’). The next paragraph is why I think that is the problem, but the details are probably printer-specific, and may or may not be helpful in determining a resolution.

In the dialog box for my printer’s properties, instead of selecting Legal size paper, I can instead click an option called “Advanced Paper Selection.” A new dialog box opens. There is a field called Paper Size with an ellipsis next to it. If I click on the ellipsis, yet another dialog box opens (title = Paper Size). In this dialog box, it says that the Original Document Size is Letter. I can change this to Legal, and then a “Paper Warning” pops up, saying: “The document size is generally specified by the application. Changes made here may not apply to the printed document.”

To successfully print my legal-size document, I must change this to Legal & override the warning. Sometimes the program hangs for 20 min or more, maybe an hour, and then I can print. (This document is an invoice template with a data merge for invoice numbers, and we print 500 invoices that are two-ply, and each ply is 2-sided, so it is really 2,000 pages.) Sometimes it just will not process the data, and it hangs and then it crashes. Generally, a 2,000 page print job should not crash, so it all seems to stem from this communication between Corel & the printer, where the printer believes the document is letter-sized instead of legal.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Parents
No Data
  • The reason that you are having problems with legal size (8.5 x 14) paper printing, is simply, you are telling CorelDRAW that the page is legal size, but you did not tell the printer driver the same thing. As far as the printer driver thinks, it has letter (8.5 x 11) paper in its tray.

When you go to print, click on the Printer Settings button and then look at the paper size, set it to the size of paper that you have in the machine. You should not have to go through "Advanced Paper Selection." Just click on the Paper Size and set it.

Also, is your print driver set to start printing immediately or to spool the document(s) first and then print?

Children