A Newbie needs HELP with Corelx5 countour cut setting for Roland

We are very, very new to the cutting of a corel design with my roland. I have letters that consist of a block letter with an 8 pt black outline as the back layer with a block letter and a 4 pt white outline as the top layer, making the shadow effect.

I convert curves and add my countour cut line, but it keeps appearing INSIDE the black outline and cuts the black out.  The image cuts out fine and the one color part of the letter does, but the black and white outline shadows are cut out.

I've tried boundary and countouring every way I can figure. Obviously there is a setting/trick I don't know that someone does.

Please HELP!

• Hello Robert; When you do the "Contour" you should ungroup or brake apart the line that you want to use, and there is a setting in the Contour to outline or inline the object.

George

• Robert Weiland said:
    I convert curves and add my countour cut line, but it keeps appearing INSIDE the black outline and cuts the black out.

When you say you convert curves, do you mean "Convert to Curves" or "Convert Outline to Object"?
    They are both in the Arrange menu but treat objects differently, and the result when cutting will be much different.

Convert to Curves will change objects like Text, Rectangles, Ellipses and so on, into editable objects. If these objects have outlines, they will still be just outlines with a width but these outlines are not cuttable (take a look at your drawing in wireframe mode, which doesn't show any outlines). Cutting will take place along the line you see in wireframe mode, not the outside of the outline.

Convert Outline to Objects does just that. The outline for selected objects will be converted to objects that look like the outline did, but you can cut them. Again, look in wireframe mode.
    Then you need to make sure you get the cutter to cut only the lines you want, and there the Boundary (Arrange > Shaping) command can be useful.

There are many other ways to create the curves you need for cutting, and you need to really get to know Draw to get the most out of it.

Good luck.