connecting users of the CorelDRAW family of products

Corel Draw X5 - high memory usage and "Out of memory" error

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 16 Replies | 3 Followers

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

michasiek posted on Fri, Nov 4 2011 11:00

Hello

I do have problem with my newly installed CorelDraw X5. Before X5 we used Corel 12 in our company.

I have project file (150 MB) with lots of text, bitmaps, vectors - about 100 pages. File opens but I can't save it. I always get OUT OF MEMORY error. I even tried to divide this file into 2 smaller parts but still doesn't work.

What I noticed - Corel X5 after clean start (without opened project) takes about 80MB of RAM in task manager. When I open project usage changes from 80MB to 1,2GB. While saving it takes 1,6GB of RAM and it crashes.

To compare - Corel 12 and after opening same project file Corel 12 takes much less of memory - about 770MB and it works without problem.

Where from comes this memory usage difference? Any solutions? 

My PC:

Windows 7 - 32bit

4GB of RAM

Intel Core2Duo 2 x 3.0GHz

700GB free space on drive C:

Please help. I've read milion other posts about corel memory errors and noting workes for me :( I have no hope :(

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 25 Contributor
Pune, India
Male
CorelDRAWMaster
Verified by Ariel

Surely there seems to be some corrupt data that has saved with the V12 file. Check for unwanted color styles, views and unused but saved text / graphics styles. Remove unwanted data. you can remove color styles at one click only if you have installed the latest service pack. I also have seen this issue with some corrupted fonts used in the file.

Verified by michasiek

HI!

Guys I've found problem and solution !!!! Damnnnnnnnn Im so happy :)

To the point - in my corel file there was single text line filled with white color (so it was invisible) and I didn't see it.

I noticed it while I changed my view to Wireframe. I don't know why but this text line was generating lots of memory usage and deleting it solved all my problems.

Summary - in my case in each my Corel file I worked on there was invisible white text which makes my PC crash. I don't know why and to be honest I don't want to know why.. the bottom line is now it works fine.

Maybe my problem will help someone :)

BR

MIKE from Poland

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Pune, India
Male
CorelDRAWMaster
Verified by Ariel

Surely there seems to be some corrupt data that has saved with the V12 file. Check for unwanted color styles, views and unused but saved text / graphics styles. Remove unwanted data. you can remove color styles at one click only if you have installed the latest service pack. I also have seen this issue with some corrupted fonts used in the file.

Top 10 Contributor
Virginia USA
Male

Hello michasiek; You might want to make sure that you do not have any other programs running when you open a file that is that large. cut back on the things Windows uses ram for.

My Thoughts George

TheSignGuy

Computer i5 Intel 2500K 4.0 mh, 16 gig Ram, SSD Main Drive, 1T WD Black, 1T Segate, 2 gig DDR 5 G Force Video card, Windows 7 Utl. 64 bit, ASRock Extreme 4 Mobo

what suggestions given by you are not suitable.  Its consuming absolutely high memory and even files are not opening sometimes.  There is a very big problem with X5.  

Top 25 Contributor
Pune, India
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

I know it well and agree with you that this is a serious issue. My suggestions are purely based on my own experiences. I was successful in solving most of the issues, though not all, with 'out of memory' errors with the suggestions I have mentioned. This definitely does not mean that every file would open by following my suggestions. It would depend on each individual file, its contents, workflow used by the user, and in some cases the hardware.

There's no harm in trying the suggestions. Right ?

pkg_sriram:
what suggestions given by you are not suitable.  Its consuming absolutely high memory and even files are not opening sometimes.  There is a very big problem with X5.  

Top 10 Contributor
Virginia USA
Male

Hello pkg; What Anand & I are saying is that these are things that could slow down a program and even make it crash, I know that X5 is going to use more ram than ver. 12 ( it does more, uses more ram ) a lot of people run Corel on small systems, but when you start asking a program to do a lot of work you need a system that will carry the load. Windows 32 bit systems will only use 3 gig of ram and when you are letting the CPU do the video it cuts down on whats left. I use X4 on a Vista 32 bit system with only 2 gig of ram ( works fine & fast ) but I don't ask the computer to do a lot else while I'm using heavy programs. ( No gadgets, or fancy icons, or load programs with Windows start up, ect. )

My Thoughts George

TheSignGuy

Computer i5 Intel 2500K 4.0 mh, 16 gig Ram, SSD Main Drive, 1T WD Black, 1T Segate, 2 gig DDR 5 G Force Video card, Windows 7 Utl. 64 bit, ASRock Extreme 4 Mobo

Top 10 Contributor
Murrieta, California, U.S.
Male

One item that causes a lot of Out-Of-Memory messages is a crowded, over-populated system temp directory. This comes about by running the computer over a long time and not cleaning the Temp directory out. Many programs create temporary files and directories, when they run, and do not delete these files when they are finished with them. The next time you run that program, it will create a new set of temporary files. The larger the count of temporary files and directories, the more resources of the Windows Operating System will be used, and the slower your PC will run.

To solve this problem, open up your Windows Explorer (not IE) and type in the address bar, '%temp%' (without the quotes). Delete as many files and directories that you can. Windows will not allow you to delete an actively used file or directory, so you do not have to worry about that. Once you have deleted as many files as you can, close the Explorer and then empty the Trash Can.

HuMJohn aka Hugh Johnson

when I first raised this issue, everyone told me to switch to In-design for producing such large files and now I see everyone is raising the same issue because they seems interested in creating heavy files in corelDRAW. This is indeed a big problem with coreldraw x5 and it is very frustrating. I hope everyone will ask corel to resolve this in the next version.

Anand, look at my previous posts and u'll remember me.

Top 25 Contributor
Pune, India
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

Hello Bhootnath

I do remember you and most of the active members here. As you rightly say, even I won't recommend large files in DRAW. Specifically, the files with extensive text and text formatting. Reasons : DRAW does not have all the support for such formatting like there is in CorelVentura or InDesign. If you go through my older posts on this subject you can make out that it can be little more manageable if the user uses macros and follows a specific workflow. Fortunately I have my own macros programmed to handle the complicated and time consuming tasks in DRAW. Even after using such macros, one has to take more efforts while working on books or large files, than doing the job in some other app. made for doing such jobs.

Large files and more text is just one of the reasons of getting errors like 'Out of memory'. I have seen such errors with even with smaller files (even less than 10 mb). This does not happen only with the heavier file but happens with smaller files with corrupted data. Another reason I have seen is defective RAM modules or non compatible RAM coupled together. Personally I have created 2 huge books each with over 1.2K pages without any issue.

One can recommend but not impose. Even if all of the Pro users keep telling louder not to create such jobs in DRAW, the users will continue doing that. My post here was just a guideline to troubleshoot the issues.

And Yes, me too, looking forward to see even better version of CorelDRAW Xx.Big Smile

bhootnath:
when I first raised this issue, everyone told me to switch to In-design for producing such large files and now I see everyone is raising the same issue because they seems interested in creating heavy files in corelDRAW. This is indeed a big problem with coreldraw x5 and it is very frustrating. I hope everyone will ask corel to resolve this in the next version.

Top 10 Contributor
Uruguay
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

pkg_sriram:

Sorry, but I believe that this suggestion is right for 99% of the similar problems. Not all, of course, but it's the best advice for all users, no matter if they have problems or not. All people must check (and delele) if there was too much color styles or saved views. You rpogram will work fast and better.

If it's not the solution, perhaps it's relative to the operating system. You need to use the Windows Virtual Memory (the swap file) for enhance the performance, if you have a little virtual memeory you will have memory error. What you need is not only more free RAM, it's about free system rsources. Some programs (such as some antivirus) requires a lot of system resources. 

Ariel Garaza Díaz

arielgaraza.com

Thank you guys for all replies. 

Lets sum up for me and for others with similar problems what we can try to do to fix memory problem:

- install service pack

- delete views in Views manager

- delete color styles in Color styles manager

- clean up temp folder - start \ run \ %temp% 

- reduce resolution of photos used in corel project - Bitmap \ Resample

- reduce number of fonts in Windows

- change virtual memory (anyone can give hints what settings use? I've read that swap file should me max. 3x bigger than available RAM memory, but I don't know if it's true)

- install Windows 64-bit with more RAM ;)

Something else?

Now I'm fighting with small files - I try to open small 11MB file with 3 pages inside (contains text and photos) and in Corel 12 it opens OK, but in X5 it won't even open - I get condition error:

CorelDRAW X5 Condition #1002-D:/WALDO/V1500/ENGINES/CRUTL/LISTMAN-0760

I think it's not a memory problem this time - I think you may be right that file contains bad data for Corel X5 but it works fine with Corel 12. Any ideas what X5 does not like about content of this file?

Now the question - what could cause such thing? Fonts? Color profiles?

Top 50 Contributor
Wisconsin
Male

michasiek:
- change virtual memory (anyone can give hints what settings use? I've read that swap file should me max. 3x bigger than available RAM memory, but I don't know if it's true)

Hi there

If you have a system with a single hard-drive I don't think there's much point in changing the virtual memory settings, except for possibly switching from 'windows manages' to specifying a size.  The only benefit of specifying here would be to reduce a performance hit if windows decides to resize the swap file (when 'windows manages' is selected).   Not sure about how big, but 3x RAM sounds like plenty to me.  With the power of modern systems I'm not if it would be noticeable

If you have more than one HD then there can be a performance benefit from moving the virtual memory to the second drive.  Even better if that second drive is a fast one.

Hope that helps

Andy

Art for a crowded planet - your window to my art and life online

Making images of balance and harmony for a chaotic world.

Verified by michasiek

HI!

To the point - in my corel file there was single text line filled with white color (so it was invisible) and I didn't see it.

I noticed it while I changed my view to Wireframe. I don't know why but this text line was generating lots of memory usage and deleting it solved all my problems.

Summary - in my case in each my Corel file I worked on there was invisible white text which makes my PC crash. I don't know why and to be honest I don't want to know why.. the bottom line is now it works fine.

Maybe my problem will help someone :)

BR

MIKE from Poland

Top 25 Contributor
Pune, India
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

I am happy too. Good that you could resolve the issueSmile.If you have noticed, I mentioned it in my earlier post.

"It would depend on each individual file, its contents, workflow used by the user, and in some cases the hardware."

Seems that the font data was corrupted for some reason.

michasiek:

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.