Total Ink Coverage in Offset Printing Process

My printing supplier has a limit of total ink coverage of 240%. 
As I read from web resources, some may accept up to 260% or even 280%.

I wonder how it is possible to print something with TIC as high as 350%?

Recently I have received an artwork from a client with a background black color of  C86 M85 Y79 K100.
I requested him to change the black to either K100 or a combination with TIC < 240%.

However, he insisted to use the exact color value as "its a quality control color and stuff".

He said his existing printer has been printing his previous jobs with these color values.

I wonder how practical is it to do so.

• The answer is really complex but don't worry about it just send it to the printer. It will be fine if they are a quality printer, postscript and or ICC color management will handle it. I answer the question and many more in my books on CorelDRAW color management at www.graphictechnology.com

• MT Studio said:
    I wonder how practical is it to do so.

This depends on many things: how much rich black ink coverage on the page, the type of paper, the speed of the press, reverse print on the rich black with small text - registration could be a problem

• Hi Michael here is a site that has a variety of profiles and explanations. You have to remember that process printing inks are transparent so area of coverage is not an actual density value. some offset printers with custom inks and really fine stochastic screening can produce excellent detail at very high areas of coverage. I have seen some very deep tones at 320 tic with good detail.
    Gravure inks will run into the 300 plus range as they are not as dense as offset inks and the printing process has better control of density

http://colormanagement.org/index_en.html

ross blair