Export Efficiency question

Hi everyone, first post here.  I've been working in CorelDraw for almost a year now and am still learning a lot (aka: I don't know what I'm talking about).  As an entry level designer at a sign shop, I do equal measures of design and print setup.

Exporting has become especially frustrating to me because it takes so much time of my day.  Our file system is set up on two separate servers.  On the design side, it looks something like this: Design > A > Alpha Company > 2012 .  (The 2012 folder would contains a "draft" CDR file, a "concept" CDR file, and an exported PDF or JPG of the concept file.)  The printer server looks something like this: Exchange > 2012-05-week1 > Project 1.tif.

In a typical day, I'll export between 5 and 20 unique files, with about half of them being TIFs for print, and half being PDFs that I send to the client.  As a result, every time I export something, I have to navigate to the opposite side of the file tree.  I can totally understand the logic behind Corel setting the default export location to "same as previous," but it's very rare I get to export two files in a row to the same folder.  You can see how this becomes very time-consuming, especially when the company has hundreds of clients.  I've learned to navigate quickly, but it still feels very wasteful of my precious time.

Basically, I'm looking for a way to tell CorelDraw that when I export a PDF it should go in the document's containing folder, and when I export a TIF it should go in the Exchange folder.  Is there a way to do that?  Or at least, is there a way to add shortcuts to the export dialog?

Parents
  • Andrew,

The macro is definitely an option to explore. Another may be to move the files outside of CorelDRAW. Export EVERYTHING to the same folder. Then move those files in Windows Explorer. Since you can have multiple Windows Explorer windows open, you can have the generic export folder and the desired destination open for a quick drag and drop.

Unless your bitmaps need to be CMYK, Iā€™d also recommend PNG rather than TIF. Just a personal preference.

Reply Children
No Data