connecting users of the CorelDRAW family of products

What tools to use?!

Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 22 Replies | 2 Followers

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

Helps posted on Sat, Jun 30 2012 13:28

Hi guys,

Recently I started to work with Corel Draw x6. I have an idea about basic uses of some tools, but still can't figure out what to use if I wanted realistic drawings. I tried some "cartoon" looking stuff and it looks ok. I have an idea about working w/ bezier and shape tool. Now I'm most interested in drawing realistic lookin' fur. My major interest are dogs. I draw basic shape and lines, but then I'm lost with fur. I'm not sure how to work on that........ if you have any tutorials, it'd be very appreciated. I've been thinking how to achieve sth like this http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2011/314/d/f/eskimo_dog_by_gromarog-d4fp7wh.jpg or this one http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rQEvCUfVOow/TUsitC1IlnI/AAAAAAAABaI/kcyOHUc6kdY/s1600/German%2BShepherds3.jpg

Maybe if you could also link me to some tutorials, it'd be great, too.

I'm sure it takes a lot of practice, I'm sorry if my question sounds silly. I just need an idea where to start and what tools to focus on.

Thank you all :)

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Murrieta, California, U.S.
Male

Here is a place to start. You will pick up some idea of some of the tools and their application. This is not complete, but a collection of some of the tools of CorelDRAW, and how to achieve various effects.

But, for a complete knowledge of the tools, I would check out Foster's Unleash Training DVDs, which can be found here.

HuMJohn aka Hugh Johnson

Top 100 Contributor
Califorina

In addition to the links Hugh posted, have a look at Advanced T-shirts; they have some high quality and very informative videos here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/advancedtshirts

Thanks a lot for the links. I'm sure I'll find a lot of useful information there.

It's certainly a good place for the start. Though, I'm still hoping for a little bit more concrete tips - what tool(s) is used for creating realistic hair/fur.

Every idea, answer and/or link is highly appreciated, though. Thanks for your time.

Top 50 Contributor
Houston, Texas
Male
I'm not convinced the second drawing was done using a vector program.
Looks more like digital painting. It seems that realistic fur would be
easier to accomplish using PhotoPaint ( a raster editing program) rather
than a vector program like DRAW but I would suggest you look into using
the roughen brush tool. I would imagine you would need to really
experiment with the different settings and angles to get something
approaching an efficient workflow but it should help point you in the
right direction.

Steve
www.brutefish.com

Thanks a lot Steve. It looks really good and I think I can use that. I'll play around with it.

Top 150 Contributor
Cyprus
Male

Helps:

Maybe if you could also link me to some tutorials, it'd be great, too.

I'm sure it takes a lot of practice, I'm sorry if my question sounds silly. I just need an idea where to start and what tools to focus on.

Thank you all :)

Hi Helps!

Don't be afraid to ask questions! You are at the Best Forum i ever found, with a very friendly and helpful people are here to help you.

I also learned so many things here!

=> For achieving realistic vector drawings in Corel, and not Bitmaps effects you must learn to use the "Brushes" and also several Macros related to your needs. As Corel Draw evolves more with each version you can do amazing designs without using Bitmaps. But with Vectors only! :-)

You can do this fur vector effect with Brian's Amazing Macro!. ( I gave him the idea and he has developed it into a macro).

I didn't use macros before, but thanks to some Great guys here in the forum, i Love macros now and i can't live without them.

Using the Macros, You can do things you couldn't before with Corel standard tools alone.

You can see the results of those brushes and Macros in the first 2 thread posts above.

And don't forget to make a good search here in the forum. You can find real treasures! :-)

I hope this helps you.

~ Evros (CorelXpert)

Top 50 Contributor
Mexico
Male

Hi Helps.

I think this samples are good alternatives also to create hair-fur:

The more I know, the more I believe in God.

Top 150 Contributor
Cyprus
Male

Very Nice idea Jesus! Yes

~ Evros (CorelXpert)

Thanks a lot to both of you. I've been actually thinking about using artistic media tool  but dont have suitable brushes for fur. Is there a place where you can download brushes or should I try to make my own?

I'm also still bit confused about Macro .... I checked out your links but what is Macro in reality? How does it work? Is it effect or some kind of tool?

You're all so nice :)  thanks again

Top 10 Contributor
Virginia USA
Male

Hello Helps; The Advanced T Shirts is a good place to go for some video's like Boomhauer said and you could go to Foster's web site ( http://www.unleash.com ) and start from the beginning and work your way up. The videos are the way to go with learning I think, It's faster to pick things up. There is so much to learn about Corel so it makes it nice if you can go back over the items you are weak on if you have the DVD's,.

My Thoughts George

TheSignGuy

Computer i5 Intel 2500K 4.0 mh, 16 gig Ram, SSD Main Drive, 1T WD Black, 1T Segate, 2 gig DDR 5 G Force Video card, Windows 7 Utl. 64 bit, ASRock Extreme 4 Mobo

Top 25 Contributor
Cave Creek, AZ
Male
TAG - Mediamarketplace (Foster)
You can certainly get third party brushes or you can create your own. We have more than 1200 brushes available if you are interested. http://www.unleash.com/tomknight/coreldraw-brush-packs/

Top 10 Contributor
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Male
TAG - MacroMonster.com

Jesus Cota:
I think this samples are good alternatives also to create hair-fur:

Here is a nice tutorial about hair from wendelin:

Top 50 Contributor
Mexico
Male

Jeff Harrison:
Here is a nice tutorial about hair from wendelin:

Hi Jeff.

Looks interesting but I not see the tutorial.
Coincidentally I'm trying to load one on the same topic, but I have problems with image uploading that show trimmed. Sad

The more I know, the more I believe in God.

Top 10 Contributor
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Male
TAG - MacroMonster.com

Jesus Cota:
Looks interesting but I not see the tutorial.

should be there...

Jesus Cota:
Coincidentally I'm trying to load one on the same topic, but I have problems with image uploading that show trimmed.

forum might be trimming instead of scaling

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.