X-5 Question

I have been using CorelDraw version 12 for years and I would like to get  X-5  but I don't  want  to download the latest version of X-5 and then have all the images I created in version 12 only open in X-5

Other then not downloading X-5 is there any other way to do this.

I understand that which ever version of  Corel is the latest version that is what normally opens all of your images.

Thanks Jimmy

• Hi.

I notice that what ever version is open at that moment will be the one that the file opens in.

~John

• Hello Jimmy; Unless you change the ver 12 files you can open them in 12 or X5. If you save a file after opening it in X5 it will be changed to a X5 file, but if you use the "Save As" under the "File" pull down and look at the bottom of the box you will see a a box with a ver. number in it ( 15 ) select that and save as ver 12 and it will open for ver. 12 - X5. It will depend on how you set " Windows" as to what program will open a file type, If you set "EPS". "Ai", "PDF", "CDR", ect. to CorelDraw 12 that is the program that will TRY to open it. I think that once you use the newer ver. you won't go back to often. you can leave ver. 12 installed and install the X5 ver. I hope this is not to hard to understand, if so say so and you'll get plenty of help.

George

• Hello Jimmy; Unless you change the ver 12 files you can open them in 12 or X5. If you save a file after opening it in X5 it will be changed to a X5 file, but if you use the "Save As" under the "File" pull down and look at the bottom of the box you will see a a box with a ver. number in it ( 15 ) select that and save as ver 12 and it will open for ver. 12 - X5. It will depend on how you set " Windows" as to what program will open a file type, If you set "EPS". "Ai", "PDF", "CDR", ect. to CorelDraw 12 that is the program that will TRY to open it. I think that once you use the newer ver. you won't go back to often. you can leave ver. 12 installed and install the X5 ver. I hope this is not to hard to understand, if so say so and you'll get plenty of help.

George

• Jimmy Hill said:
    which ever version of  Corel is the latest version ... normally opens all of your images.

To be completely correct, it is the "most recently installed version" rather than the "latest version" which will open images by default.

But there are several things you can do to change that :

1. When you install, you can choose for it not to set up file associations for some (or all) file types. So, v12 could remain the default.
    2. RunFlaCruiser's idea -- start the version you want to use and files will open in it.
    3. If you uninstall the later installed version (eg on expiry of the trial period), windows should restore file associations to the previous state. 
    4. You can change the default file association in windows -- right click on a file (eg a .jpg file), select "Open With", find the "other" photopaint.exe and check "always use this ..." before OK. You have to do this for each file type you want to change.

One thing to remember is that within CorelDraw you must not save in the later version if you want to be able to open it subsequently in the earlier version.