Corel X4 64 Bits

Is there going to have Corel X4 in 64 Bits?

Parents
  • I think the problem with drivers on 64 bit OS is a bit overrated. Yes, the old PCs with old hardware would probably have a problem. But I don't think any modern device would have no 64 bit drivers. I'm running 64 bit OS at work and at home and have no issues with any hardware I have. On XP x64 I did have problem with my old video capture card. I did keep a 32 bit OS for that rare occasion I needed to use it. However after upgrading to Vista x64 even that was taken care of since Vista recognized that piece of... <hardware>.

And don't forget that on x64 CPU there are twice as many general purpose registers and twice as many XMM registers, which means more data can be kept in registers and out of memory which significantly boosts performance. Also x64 CPU all have at least SSE2 instructions. Moving to x64 platform means that SSE2 (at least) will be guaranteed to be there. This could be a big performnce improvement.

And having more than 2GB or RAM available to application is a good enough reason to switch to 64 bit platform. x64 also provides a different (much faster) way of exception handling, so entering/exiting try...catch block will have no impact on performance.

Now, having said that, CorelDRAW is a huge application with a lot of code which has been written long time ago. Making everything compile and work on 64 bit platform would be a significant effort and will take away from developing new features. Is there a market demand to stall development and focus on porting the application to 64 bit platform? Would you buy x64 version of CorelDRAW which has no new features since last release (x86) yet pay the full upgrade price? Most people wouldn't.

I would personally LOVE to see as many native x64 applications on the market as possible as I'm 64 bit freak myself. (By the way, I'm happy to see 64 bit shell extension in CorelDRAW X4). And I would love to have something like Flash plugin for my x64 IE browser but "for some reason" Adobe is not releasing one... I wonder why :)

Reply Children