Vector Shapes in PHOTO-PAINT

Don't you think it's about time PHOTO-PAINT had vector shapes? I mean, PP already does a great job with text in this way. Why not treat shapes the same way?

I don't know who thought of it first, but Microsoft PhotoDraw 2000 boasted their combination of vector/raster features all in one program and Adobe eventually incorporated vector shapes into Photoshop as well, but still lacking features IMO.

Here's how I would propose vector shapes work in Corel PHOTO-PAINT:

1. First off, we should have all the same shapes available to us that are available in CorelDRAW! This includes the star tool, spiral tool, arrow shapes, etc.
  2. Once a shape is created within PP it shouldn't rasterize, but stay a vector shape until the user chooses to rasterize it. This way, border/fill information can still be altered and upscaling the shape won't cause pixelation around the edges.
  3. If someone has one of these vector shapes selected and tries to paint directly on top of it, a new object should be created for that paint stroke instead of prompting the user about whether to rasterize the shape. They can always merge the two objects together later if they want to, which would inevitably rasterize the shape (with a warning prompt).
  4. Even though these shapes are vector shapes, they should still be displayed at their current raster resolution (i.e. zooming in will still show pixelation). Why do I say this? Because any raster graphics editor should always show specific pixel information, especially for those working on low-resolution imagery (e.g. web graphics, icons, texture maps).