Major bug isolated, causes crash 100% of time - need confirmation - Anyone please test.

Hi all,

A bug I have finally isolated in CorelCAD2014 - This was causes a crash 100% of the time, with total loss of work contents and return to the OS - but I haven't been able to isolate this before - can someone please check and verify -

Details: CorelCAD2014 can both create and extrude a monodimensional mesh. This operation causes fatal failure of the application. 

To reproduce -

Step 1. Draw a rectangle, and extrude it to create a box.

Step 2. Take a 3D view and create another rectangle. click on the box corner where you first started ( use snap points )

Step 3: Click on a a corner on the upper side of a rising face of the box, so that you create a rectangle in the X/Z or Y/Z plane, rather than the X/Y plane as the CCS is placed. 

Outcome - you should have created a rectangle that appears to be a line ( you can delete the box if you need to see it, but if you click on the X/Y plane near the start point, you'll find it ). This is a 2 dimensional mesh with only 1 dimension, as the X dimension changes, but the Y dimension does not. It will always appear to be a line, but the shape is recorded as being a rectangle or a 2 dimensional face.

Step 4. Extrude it. 

Expected Outcome:  The application will crash and you will lose your work - this is expected because you can't extrude a line, and what you created is a line but is recorded as being a rectangle. 

The operation should fail, possibly the original 2D part in 1d shouldn't have even been possible, but the fact that it was, and the application crashes very badly has caused me loss of work before - but I only just realized what is causing it -

Can someone please check this bug please and confirm if it causes other people to crash?

Additional note: If you save the results, you lose the email address to send the data too from the crash report. Also, the HTML upload of the crash data does not work correctly.  So Corel doesn't appear to be getting crash data some times.

Once I can get others to verify, I'll upload the bug report -

Workaround? Just be careful you're not creating 2-dimensional shapes in the X/Z or Y/Z plane - it's an easy mistake if you haven't moved  the CCS around, and will result in a dangerous shape that will sit in your workspace. There's no solution, just be careful. 

Thanks

David

Parents
No Data
  • Hi David,

thanks very much for bringing that application error to our attention!

You are correct, it's reproducible (incl. the application crash behaviour). This is now with the development team for being analyzed and fixed.

At this point your workaround is the only recommendation we can give: Make sure you switch the coordinate system (CSS) to the intended drawing plane when creating 2D shapes that should form the basis for 3D operations such as Extrude, Revolve, Loft or Sweep (later on). That way you will avoid creating such invalid shapes.

Best regards,
    Klaus. 

Children
No Data