PDF file too big

I'm a webdesigner working with an outside designer who works in CorelDraw x7 on a PC. She has produced a PDF of a season brochure for several years, all with a file size of about 1 MB, which is good for web distribution. This year, the PDF is nearly 12 MB, which is too large. 

The designer says that she has embedded all fonts, but I see that in running my cursor over the pages, it is mostly an arrow or cross. On some headlines it changes to an insertion point and I can copy those letters. I take it that those headlines are set as text (I see in the File Properties that their fonts are all subsetted as well).

When I run my cursor over the text, it doesn't turn into an insertion point. The text appears to have been outlined, because even at extreme enlargement, the outlines remain smooth, but the designer swears that she has not turned the text to outlines.

She says that she flattens the image backgrounds before making the PDF, and I'm wondering if that affects the text

It is true that in previous years the designer used Corel x6, but she says she has tried using x6 to make the PDF, but it still produces a large file.

I work on a Mac and can reduce the resolution of the image portions of the file in Adobe Acrobat, but even converting to rather low resolution doesn't change the file size much. The problem must be in the outlines: presumably forcing the text to remain as text using embedded fonts would resolve the problem. As a non Corel Draw user, I don't know what to tell her.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Parents
  • I suspect there are a lot of settings that are being missed just prior to making the pdf. In corel you can opt to "publish as pdf" for web, prepress, editing, etc which will all produce different file sizes. You can also turn all text to curves, which I highly recommend. It's in the settings. Especially if drop shadows and/or transparencies are used. Those are better converted to raster first.

Myron

Reply Children