Photo-PAINT X5 , PaintShop Pro X3 and Photoshop CS5

I'm doing some evaluation of these 3 software packages, I may as well note that Corel Painter 11 is also be evaluated but is not being mentioned here except to say the color management is perfect as Painter 11 is a Painting program not an image editor which is more the focus of this post.

So to stir the pot as the say I will note that color management between these applications works very well.  All test images display in all 3 application simultaneously identically on the same monitor.

My evaluation is being done in a manner that reflects the mages we see on a more regular basis in production.  So called professional captures, non-professional captures and cell phone captures. These come from cameras in the price range of $5,000 down to the 2MP cell phone captures.

When the task is straighten, color correction, noise reduction, automatic correction features and basic image manipulation, Judging from the results I see for the life of me I can see NO REASON to purchase Photoshop CS5.

The better a photographer you are the less you need a powerful image editor and if the lower cost image editors are being designed to automate the tasks for lesser quality images in a manner that's better than Photoshop and clearly PaintShop Pro and Photo-PAINT are I'd say the decisions made for us.

Check out the Corel web site and price CorelDRAW and PaintShop Pro X3, you have the pre-press features that you need in Corel Photo-PAINT X5 and the automated task features in Corel PaintShop Pro.