Crashing Corel X4 Nightmare

I've just started a new job taking over from a graphics designer who's going back to college.

He uses Corel X3 and since he has all the necessary files and images saved in that format already it made sense for me to get a copy also. So when my boss asked me what software I would require I said to get Corel Draw.

As I waited for my computer to be delivered I downloaded the trial of X4 so I could practice using it. It worked fine on my home PC, bar a couple of chokes on some large .ai files, but I'll forgive that.

Yesterday I got a brand new PC, with Windows XP Pro with 1 gig of ram, a 2 gig processer, not top spec, but more than my home PC and also certainly above the min specs written on the Corel X4 box.

Anyway, the problem that I'm having is that, first off, when I launch the programme, there's a 50% chance that it will choke when I try to open a corel file or just click on "New". If I'm lucky I can then start using it but have no guarantee that it won't then just choke when I import something or try to save. When it eventually crashes (which is the only thing I can be certain of) and I end task it and try and launch it again the same thing happens and the only way I can get the programme up and running again is by rebooting the machine.

I installed the Corel service pack, but it made no difference and also wiped the whole installation and rereinstalled it, still nothing. Having explained the situ to my boss I was told I should get on to the IT guys asap but all I got was the standard "Add More RAM" response and I honestly don't think it's that.

Just for troubleshooting purposes, I took the disc home and installed X4 on my PC here. As with the trial it seems to be working perfectly, on a less powerful PC with a rather battered and worn-out XP pro install.  The only thing is that I have Service Pack 3 on my work PC but am still on SP2 here at home. Other than some conflict with other software (Office 2007, Firefox 3, AVG Antivirus, Adobe Acrobat Reader 9, VNC) I have absolutely no idea what it could be.

Parents Reply Children