Application Recovery Manager

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

Top 150 Contributor
Frisco, TX
Male
kumorigoe Posted: Wed, Oct 15 2008 9:29

Here's one for the Corel employees.  What can cause an ARM on an otherwise completely stable system?  And why do they seem to be completely random?  Happens to me when I try to save files. 

Core 2 Q6600 ~ 4GB DDR2 ~ nVidia 8800 GT Superclocked ~ 150GB 10,000 RPM Hard Drive
Top 10 Contributor
Uruguay
Male
CorelDRAWMaster
Ariel replied on Wed, Oct 15 2008 13:15

The most common reason of the ARM is in Windows, not in CorelDRAW. The CorelARM alerts when detect a problem, such as few free memory, less system resources, and much more. If the SWAP file of Windows is full, it also causes a conflict. Some programs, like a some antivirus or memory-resident software, also can cause errors. Sometimes, the auto-backup feature causes a problem, because you can save at the same time that the auto-backup. Too much fonts is one of the most common reason of the ARM. And, remember that any step is stored as a "temporary file" for WIndows, so if you have a file of 10 Mb open, and 20 levels of Undo, you will have 200 Mb of temporary files. The compression when save is other reason, because first create a temporary file in the primary disk, then compress the file. if you disable the file compression when save, the file size will increase, but it will be faster to open and save. Also, remember to allways activate the "save presentation exchange (CMX)" when save

Ariel Garaza Díaz

Top 10 Contributor
Murrieta, California, U.S.
Male

Small amount of free disk space, plus highly fragmented files, are the most probable cause.

Start by emptying your trashcan, then deleting all the file in your system %temp% directory, and then empty the trashcan, again. This should give you more working disk space.

HuMJohn aka Hugh Johnson

Top 150 Contributor
Frisco, TX
Male

I have 4GB of RAM, and 105 GB of free space on my hard drive.

I think it's most likely the saving at the same time as the backup is made. 

Core 2 Q6600 ~ 4GB DDR2 ~ nVidia 8800 GT Superclocked ~ 150GB 10,000 RPM Hard Drive
Top 10 Contributor
Uruguay
Male
CorelDRAWMaster
Ariel replied on Wed, Oct 15 2008 14:36

kumorigoe:
 I have 4GB of RAM

You or your computer???Big SmileBig SmileBig Smile

kumorigoe:
 I have 4GB of RAM,

... but your Windows version does recognize the 4 Gb??? Most of Windows can't handle more than 2 Gb

kumorigoe:
I have 4GB of RAM, and 105 GB of free space on my hard drive.

the problem is not the amount of memory or disk space. This is a common error. If you have 105 free but you swap file of Windows only use 10, your free resources only have 10 Gb avaliable. If you have a lot of memory, but some programs are using it in the background, you reall don't have all this memory. Windows take it portion of memory when stars, then all resident software, such as some printer drivers, antivirus (and also virus and trojans, of course), video card software, messenger, and a lot of software. So, when CorelDRAW starts, only have a little part of the memory, but most important than this... is how many free resources have you in your system

Ariel Garaza Díaz

Top 10 Contributor
Uruguay
Male
CorelDRAWMaster
Ariel replied on Wed, Oct 15 2008 15:11

try this software (free)

Autoruns

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

PageDefrag

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897426.aspx

CCleaner

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Ad-Aware

http://www.lavasoft.com/single/trialpay.php

Ariel Garaza Díaz

bitra replied on Mon, Jun 15 2009 23:22

Ariel:

The most common reason of the ARM is in Windows, not in CorelDRAW. The CorelARM alerts when detect a problem, such as few free memory, less system resources, and much more. If the SWAP file of Windows is full, it also causes a conflict. Some programs, like a some antivirus or memory-resident software, also can cause errors. Sometimes, the auto-backup feature causes a problem, because you can save at the same time that the auto-backup. Too much fonts is one of the most common reason of the ARM. And, remember that any step is stored as a "temporary file" for WIndows, so if you have a file of 10 Mb open, and 20 levels of Undo, you will have 200 Mb of temporary files. The compression when save is other reason, because first create a temporary file in the primary disk, then compress the file. if you disable the file compression when save, the file size will increase, but it will be faster to open and save. Also, remember to allways activate the "save presentation exchange (CMX)" when save

Thanks Ariel, for my case the availability of free memory seems to be the problem. Available RAM on my computer is 894 MB, previously I put 25% of maximum memory usage (223 MB), which I think causes the Application Recovery Manager window appear, and I can't access both the original .CDR file and the backup file. Then I change it to 40% (357 MB), and thank god the file can be opened as usual.

I hope it will always works well... Thanks again! :)

Top 10 Contributor
Uruguay
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

bitra:

Thanks Ariel, for my case the availability of free memory seems to be the problem. Available RAM on my computer is 894 MB, previously I put 25% of maximum memory usage (223 MB), which I think causes the Application Recovery Manager window appear, and I can't access both the original .CDR file and the backup file. Then I change it to 40% (357 MB), and thank god the file can be opened as usual.

I hope it will always works well... Thanks again! :)

less han 1 GB is not enough, you neeed at least 2 GB of free memory

You can change to 100% of the memory en CorelDRAW options

Ariel Garaza Díaz

Not Ranked
Ikeja

i have a corel draw file i have been working on for weeks almost 2gb file, now i cant even open it again, yet i could stil see the content inside bt stil i cant open it, wat can i do to recovery the file, cos i cant start all over again.....

Top 10 Contributor
Uruguay
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

try to open with CorelDRAW X6 under Windows 7 64 bits

Ariel Garaza Díaz

Top 25 Contributor
Cave Creek, AZ
Male
TAG - Mediamarketplace (Foster)
I’ve written a post about Recovering Corrupt CorelDRAW Files at http://graphics-unleashed.unleash.com/2012/04/recovering-corrupt-coreldraw-files.html that gives you several suggestions. To be honest, the likelihood of salvaging your file is very small as it is too big. I explained why you shouldn’t create massive files at http://graphics-unleashed.unleash.com/2010/07/dont-create-massive-coreldraw-files.html

i'm really frustrated the corel arm randomly hits my system, i've already tried to follow all the tips above, reset to factory default, disable all background app, ccleaner, defrag the hard disk, all of thoses thing still can't solve my problem.

ps. corel x6, intel dual core, ram 2gb, hd 1tb, winxp.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.