connecting users of the CorelDRAW family of products

Reverse Conversion of Text to Curves

This post has 7 Replies | 5 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

Top 150 Contributor
Frisco, TX
Male
kumorigoe Posted: Mon, Jul 9 2007 8:27

I recently converted text to curves in an attempt to center them more accurately.  How do I convert them back so I can edit the text?

EDIT - I erased and retyped the text, in a bit of a hurry.  Though, if there is a way to unconvert, I would like to know.

Core 2 Q6600 ~ 4GB DDR2 ~ nVidia 8800 GT Superclocked ~ 150GB 10,000 RPM Hard Drive
Not Ranked
Alberta, Canada
Female

I'm 99% sure that Corel discards the font information once you convert to curves... I think the way you dealt with it is the only way. =]

Top 150 Contributor
Frisco, TX
Male

That's probably right =(

I'm still very new at this whole graphic design thing, but I'm learning fast.  Unfortunately, the person that I'm supposed to be learning from here isn't much of a teacher... which is why I ask here.

Core 2 Q6600 ~ 4GB DDR2 ~ nVidia 8800 GT Superclocked ~ 150GB 10,000 RPM Hard Drive
Not Ranked
Denver, Colorado
Male

I agree.  I believe that the only way to un-convert something is through our friend 'Control + Z'

One thing that I have done over the years if I'm not sure that something is going to work the way that I want, is to duplicate the object, move the duplicate over & then work with the duplicate.

Another nice thing about Corel 13 is that you can now place your text wherever you want through the 'x' 'y' coordinates at the top left of your toolbar.  Just make a little note on a scratch pad as to where the 'x' 'y' coordinates of the text are.  Convert them to curves or whatever, and then just enter the coordinates for the newly altered text.  Bada bing, bada boom.  :)

Either way though, converting the text to curves should be the final thing you do with your text once you have edited & proofread.  If you convert to curves, save the file & then close Corel - that's it.

Draw! Draw! Draw! It's the only way to be sure...

Top 50 Contributor
Jacksonville, Florida USA
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

Once a font is converted to curves you loose all characteristics of the font. The "font" is now an object or group of objects. I offered help in your post yet I did state to save a copy of the file before converting in case you needed to edit at a later date. Must have read over that post.

Just make sure you save a copy not converted or youll have a tough time later on trying to figure out hte font used, have to re typeset, etc. I usually just copy to a new page and keep all text live on the second page of the file. or save as an entirely new file.

Top 150 Contributor
Frisco, TX
Male

Love that 20/20 hindsight.  Tongue Tied

A rule I'll follow religiously in the future...

Top 100 Contributor
University Place,WA

If you don't want a lot of extraneous files, I copy everything that might change or that I may need original info, onto the drawing window (large white space around drawing page). Then I don't have to remember the relationship of the file and why I saved it, and I also have immediate access to the info by selecting the font, an object converted to bitmap, etc. 

Scott Markham Graphic Scenes

Top 150 Contributor
Lancaster, CA
Female

If you have assigned a file name, you could open the backup file and it may still contain the text. If it doesn't come back with Ctrl-Z, you have to reset the text.

Everyday's a new day, DRAW on what you've learned.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.