Can't import PDF's into X4

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

Top 500 Contributor
Colorado
Male
Matt posted on Tue, Apr 21 2009 12:18

Ok, what's up?. Downloaded service pack 2 for X4 and still no improvement. I used to be able to import PDF's no problem, now non of them will import.   How do I fix this... I've searched the forum site for answers, didn't find any solid remedies.

Help.... help, help, help.

Thanks, Matt

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Brisbane Australia
Male

Try reprocessing the PDF using AcrobatPro or GhostScript first.

You can go from GS to Postscript, PDF or EPS so you should be able to get one of those to work on importing.

Unless it's a PDF that imported previously and fails now which would indicate some other issue, it might be that the PDF is an odd/advanced format that isn't understood.

You likely will have issues with import on PDF above 4.

Yani

Ned's Mother -- You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothing and we're fresh out of ideas!
( The Simpsons, Hurricane Neddy -- Season:8 Episode:8 First Aired:12/29/1996 )

Here is what I am doing to get a PDF to import, keep in mind none of the text will be editable and requires Illustrator and  the Oberon VBA to paste from Illustrator as well.

1 - In Illustrator, you need to place the PDF making sure you link the file.

2 - Click on Object, Flatten Transparency making sure you have convert fonts to paths

3 - In Draw, open a new document, run the VBA and paste from Illustrator... bingo!

I use this method just for Corel's print imposition, which could be marketed as a stand alone tool buy itself.

Craig

Craig, Does Matt have Illustrator? and is he really trying to import Illustrator made PDF? If he does have, the VBA macro is the best solution as u've mentioned. One thing to keep in mind Matt as you already might know is that Corel doesn't import any restricted PDF file.

The only absolute knowledge attainable by man is that life is meaningless.

— Leo Tolstoy

Top 500 Contributor
Colorado
Male

This is where I get left in the dust.  I've been using Corel since 1990 and unfortunately have no idea what a VBA macro is.  I do have Illustrator CS4, don't know much about it. Picked it up just to be able to open and use files I get from clients.  The PDF's I get from clients are typically 3rd party... they don't have a clue as to who made them or how.  My job is to open and utilize the artwork in the file for my clients project.  Sometime they work, most of the time they don't.   What is VBA? Where do I go to learn about Macro's?

Thanks, Matt

Matt Charboneau:
What is VBA?

vba.aspx

Once u get to know what a macro is, u'll be easily able to copy/paste from Illustrator or vice versa

The only absolute knowledge attainable by man is that life is meaningless.

— Leo Tolstoy

Top 25 Contributor
Brisbane Australia
Male

CraigH:
I use this method just for Corel's print imposition, which could be marketed as a stand alone tool buy itself.

If only we could get the Team Dev to get the hint and look at automatic gutter creep just about the simplest addition anyone has ever requested you would be looking a true professional imposition.

If you don't own illustrator that process won't be possible but GS is FREE you can export from that to EPS and import a whole document that needs no editing or to PRN/PS and use the filter to render that in Draw or PDF which in some cases removes the 'funny stuff'.

Over and over Ghostscript (GS) proves to be more capable that even Adobe Acrobat.

Did you notice the other post where Acrobat just won't deal with PDFs 200"+ created in Draw but GS opens them without an issue. It may not have the feature set of Acrobat Pro but it loves Postscript. I have never seen a valid file fail in GS. It might just be the best example of how Open Source code with many minds putting in knowledge has superior outcomes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostscript

Ghostscript was originally written by L. Peter Deutsch in 1986 for the GNU Project, and released under the GNU General Public License; later, Deutsch formed Aladdin Enterprises to license Ghostscript under a proprietary license. Ghostscript is currently owned by Artifex Software and maintained by Artifex Software employees and the world-wide user community. Current version of Ghostscript is again available under GPL but can be also licensed for use in proprietary projects for a fee.

So the history of the project is pre Draw 1.0 and long before Adobe ever started on Acrobat. Even in the very early days it was the RIP that worked when others failed.

Yani

Ned's Mother -- You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothing and we're fresh out of ideas!
( The Simpsons, Hurricane Neddy -- Season:8 Episode:8 First Aired:12/29/1996 )

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.