connecting users of the CorelDRAW family of products

Default Outline Properties

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

kingloo Posted: Wed, Aug 26 2009 19:11

I wanted my outline properties to default to Behind Fill and Scale with Image. So I tried setting the default of Graphic, Artistic Text, and Paragraph Text to have those defaults, but with No outline fill.  Something weird happened, so now when I create text, it defaults with no outline, BUT whenever I resize the text it adds an outline. Even if remove the outline, and the resize, it again adds the outline.  so odd.  do you have ANY idea of how i can just put this back to normal?

Top 50 Contributor
St. Albert Alberta Canada
Male
No ideas, but SP-2 for X3 introduced a bug that does exactly what you say for text (only, as I recall) that had ever  had an outline--and the added outline was gigantic as I recall. I do know that it was tightly tied to scale with image as well.

Sounds as if it is an offshoot of the same problem. It is fixed in X4, but was never fixed in X3.

kingloo wrote:

I wanted my outline properties to default to Behind Fill and Scale with Image. So I tried setting the default of Graphic, Artistic Text, and Paragraph Text to have those defaults, but with No outline fill.  Something weird happened, so now when I create text, it defaults with no outline, BUT whenever I resize the text it adds an outline. Even if remove the outline, and the resize, it again adds the outline.  so odd.  do you have ANY idea of how i can just put this back to normal?

http://community.coreldraw.com/forums/p/15788/65970.aspx#65970

Paul McGee St. Albert, Alberta, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Uruguay
Male
CorelDRAWMaster
Ariel replied on Wed, Aug 26 2009 19:47

This is not logical If you set the Default Graphics and text as "Without outline" you can speclify ate the same time "Behind Fill" and "Scale with Image".  You must use different Styles for each, and if you want, add a shortcut for each one

Ariel Garaza Díaz

Top 25 Contributor
Southeast Texas, USA
Male

I cannot duplicate the problem in my version of Draw X3 XP2 (Version 13.0.0.739) running under Windows XP Home Edition SP3 starting with  new blank page and setting you describe properites, Are you setting your outlne properties from a new blank page before creating any text?

If I start a new page and the create text, then try and set the properties you describe I get the same results you do. It appears that if you set from existing text the anomally is created. At least on my computer.

Jack

Lately, I have too much month left at the end of the money!

Top 50 Contributor
Houston, Texas
Male
It's a known bug that won't be fixed in X3 but it was fixed in X4. If
you create a new style for each text type (artistic and paragraph), you
can put a button for that style on the toolbar using the customization
menu. If you want your already created text to be normal, just give it
an outline then turn off the scale with image option and take off the
outline. Then it will act as normal again.

Steve
www.brutefish.com

kingloo wrote:
> I wanted my outline properties to default to Behind Fill and Scale with
> Image. So I tried setting the default of Graphic, Artistic Text, and
> Paragraph Text to have those defaults, but with No outline fill.
> Something weird happened, so now when I create text, it defaults with no
> outline, BUT whenever I resize the text it adds an outline. Even if
> remove the outline, and the resize, it again adds the outline. so odd.
> do you have ANY idea of how i can just put this back to normal?
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> http://community.coreldraw.com/forums/p/15788/65970.aspx#65970
>
Top 50 Contributor
Jacksonville, Florida USA
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

Looks like you got your answer Lou.  Sorry I didnt get your email until just now. Def a BUG from X3.

thanks everyone for your help.  looks like i will be upgrading soon. also, removing the scale with image is a great idea. i think that solved the issue.  thanks!

Top 50 Contributor
Jacksonville, Florida USA
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

once you make your change don't forget to click Tools / Save Settings As Default.

It might be me and my system, but with this particular bug, Save Settings as Default doesn't make a bit of difference. The settings just won't stiick.

The only work-around, that I've found,  is doing exactly what Steve described.

I still use X3  on one of my XP computers (only have X4 on Vista)..............so unfortunately, I run across this issue daily.

It's okay, though. As soon as it happens, clicking off the Scale with Image squashes the bugger.

Diane Jersey Girl
Top 50 Contributor
Houston, Texas
Male
wOxxOm used to have two macros on his site that deal with this. One to
turn off "scale with image" from all outlines in a document and another
to turn on "scale with image" from all outlines. I created two buttons
for them on my toolbar and use them often. They aren't included in
wOxxOm's tools package from Macromonster so maybe Jeff has them as
freebies. You should try sending him an email to ask about them. If he
isn't offering them commercially I can share them through email (with
wOxxOm's permission of course).

Steve
www.brutefish.com
Top 10 Contributor
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Male
TAG - MacroMonster.com

Brute-Fish:
They aren't included in wOxxOm's tools package from Macromonster so maybe Jeff has them as freebies.

attached here for the moment... ;-)

Now, can you upload your 2 icons?

Top 50 Contributor
Houston, Texas
Male
I never made true icons. I just used the simple image tool under the
appearance tab in the customization. Are those kept in a file somewhere
that I can export them as icons? It would be nice to transfer some of
them to my home computer.

Steve
www.brutefish.com
Top 10 Contributor
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Male
TAG - MacroMonster.com

Hi,

They must be in DLL somewhere, but not easy to extract for mortals...

What you can do to save your icons:

1. do a print screen of whole Draw UI,  with your custom icons seen in your workspace
  2. open PP
  3. file | new from clipboard
  4. crop to your overall icons to clear away most of Draw UI
  5. save file as BMP or 24 bit PNG
  6. proceed to isolate your icons and save them to single bmp files

when next ver of Draw arrives, you can have familiar icons ready to go. Or... take to your home system now.

Brute-Fish:
I never made true icons. I just used the simple image tool under the appearance tab in the customization.

Are those kept in a file somewhere that I can export them as icons? It would be nice to transfer some of them to my home computer.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.