connecting users of the CorelDRAW family of products

ripping/printing wierdness from corel x4 to roland versaworks

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

lunanoir Posted: Mon, Nov 30 2009 7:13

hi everybody. i have an issue that is stumping me!!

i work in corel x4 and export powercliped artwork for printing on our roland xp300v using versaworks

I will do my layouts in corel to save material, then export all this as a eps file (as rgb or cmyk, depending on the type of file) and open and print in versaworks. this works wonderfully. Most of the time. Then sometimes i powerclip a jpg and do my layouts for instance 3 of the same thing copy and pasted to fit into the required width... then ONE of these will print in another colour!

i don't get it! its the same file as all the others, it cannot be the only one with another colour profile. its ONE eps file!!

i thought it might be the exporting process or the ripping process, but just now i had the same problem, and deleted the file in roland, and re-exported the whole thing from corel and re-ripped and to make the changes complete i flipped the file so the bottom is at the top.

and it did exactly the bloody same thing! the same logo, at the bottom in stead of the top printed differently

somebody have ANY idea what the heck is going on?

Top 10 Contributor
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Male
TAG - MacroMonster.com

lunanoir:
I will do my layouts in corel to save material, then export all this as a eps file (as rgb or cmyk, depending on the type of file) and open and print in versaworks. this works wonderfully. Most of the time.

In the EPS format, vector shapes with RGB fills are always converted to CMYK.

You can choose RGB or CMYK for bitmaps, but the one you choose applies to all color bitmaps in your export. So, if you have mixed modes in your document, they will be converted to the one you choose. (grayscale stays grayscale though)

I always convert bitmaps to CMYK right inside DRAW (my choice). My sp540v is 4 color CMYK only, and I'm quite happy with the colors.

lunanoir:
Then sometimes I powerclip a jpg and do my layouts for instance 3 of the same thing copy and pasted to fit into the required width... then ONE of these will print in another colour!

This seems very odd... maybe upload a small CDR here or somewhere and we can check it.

FWIW, there's no such thing as a jpeg inside CorelDRAW. Bitmaps brought into CorelDRAW simply become generic pixels.

well what i can do is take a picture of the print or scan it. i have a big job with an a4 sized print that i've set up and filled the holes and everything with smaller logos and now this happens to one of the a4 prints.I can't print 32 logos with one out of every 4 unusable.

will make a little montage tomorrow when i am at work and it happens again.

it sure has me stumped. but i will take your advice about the converting everything to cmyk and see if this has any effect. This might not be corel's fault at all, it could be versaworks ripping it wrong. This happens only to some of the powerclipped rasters and never to a vector.

I am also a noob with regards to the finer nuances of the printing process (yes i got the job because i can trace logos... meh) so any help will be appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Houston, Texas
Male
Let me make sure I'm reading your problem correctly. Are you saying that
you are opening your EPS in Versaworks. Setting the multiples (copies)
to 3 and that one of those is printing a different color? That sounds
like a RIP problem and not a Corel problem.

Or are you saying that you are setting up your graphic, making 3 copies
of it and exporting that as one EPS? This could be a Corel problem but I
would probably need to see a copy of the file to be sure.

Steve
www.brutefish.com

lunanoir wrote:
> hi everybody. i have an issue that is stumping me!!
>
> i work in corel x4 and export powercliped artwork for printing on our
> roland xp300v using versaworks
>
> I will do my layouts in corel to save material, then export all this as
> a eps file (as rgb or cmyk, depending on the type of file) and open and
> print in versaworks. this works wonderfully. Most of the time. Then
> sometimes i powerclip a jpg and do my layouts for instance 3 of the same
> thing copy and pasted to fit into the required width... then ONE of
> these will print in another colour!
>
> i don't get it! its the same file as all the others, it cannot be the
> only one with another colour profile. its ONE eps file!!
>
> i thought it might be the exporting process or the ripping process, but
> just now i had the same problem, and deleted the file in roland, and
> re-exported the whole thing from corel and re-ripped and to make the
> changes complete i flipped the file so the bottom is at the top.
>
> and it did exactly the bloody same thing! the same logo, at the bottom
> in stead of the top printed differently
>
> somebody have ANY idea what the heck is going on?
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> http://community.coreldraw.com/forums/p/17199/72847.aspx#72847
>
Top 10 Contributor
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Male
TAG - MacroMonster.com

lunanoir:
it sure has me stumped. but i will take your advice about the converting everything to cmyk and see if this has any effect. This might not be corel's fault at all, it could be versaworks ripping it wrong. This happens only to some of the powerclipped rasters and never to a vector.

OK, keep an eye out and let us know.

no i'm making my layouts as i would print them in versaworks cos i like corel more for creating this final print layout than versaworks.

its the same corel graphic, that i copy and paste and rotate to fit the width of the material, then i take this and export it out of corel as a .eps file. so its all the same graphic. then i take this single .eps file and open it in versaworks and print it. then one of these are a different colour. almost like one of them is cmyk and the others rgb. 

i export as rgb mostly.. maybe that is the problem? i will do a test and convert all to cmyk before exporting. I'll let you know how that turns out, but time is getting a bit tight now. DEADLINES LOOMING.

i have a file i can show you, but its a tad big. do you want the .eps or the corel file?

Just a wild guess, may be may be it's a Color Management related issue, David is the best person to verify that but you can try by setting the color management settings to defaults.

The only absolute knowledge attainable by man is that life is meaningless.

— Leo Tolstoy

Top 10 Contributor
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Male
TAG - MacroMonster.com

lunanoir:
no i'm making my layouts as i would print them in versaworks cos i like corel more for creating this final print layout than versaworks.

I work the sme way... much easier to control nesting. Also, sometimes I lay out as shown in animation, to reduce amount of cutlines.

One tip: for small decals, I'll set up a single row of them in Draw about the width of printable area. Perhaps 20 per row... whatever fits. Then I'll tile that in Versaworks downwards. Works great. I just completed an order for $9,200.00 this way. :-)

lunanoir:
i export as rgb mostly.. maybe that is the problem?

All I can say... I've had bad experiences with that, colors on bitmaps look totally washed out and unusable compared to CMYK with the setup I use.

lunanoir:
i have a file i can show you, but its a tad big. do you want the .eps or the corel file?

Corel file will be smaller most likely. You may need to post on a server somewhere and send a link.. Convert fonts inside to curves or embed them in the document using TrueDoc.

http://cindy.metalsoup.com/files/example_of_corel_file_with_print_wierdness.cdr

ok here is the corel file, with a pic of the actual print taken with my cell and 'n screen cap of my export settings.

hope this helps.

ok. i think i found out why its doing this

i converted al my bmps to cmyk like jeff said, and exported as cmyk and did a small test. it printed perfectly. everything the same colour

then i thought well, what bout the cmyk bmps exported as rgb and when i printed it, one of the suckers were a different colour.

Now the big question is why this happens? why export 3 out of 4 logos perfectly, but the last one has to be a different colour? why not all of them?

anywho, thanx jeff for the cmyk converting hint. Though I'm pretty sure i've had reasons why i don't bother with cmyk... probably ignorance lol

Top 50 Contributor
Houston, Texas
Male
I'm glad you got it worked out but I have no clue why the problem was
there to begin with. My workflow uses RGB but I publish to PDF for
Versaworks. I only use EPS when a cutline is involved. Happy printing!

Steve
www.brutefish.com

lunanoir wrote:
> ok. i think i found out why its doing this
>
> i converted al my bmps to cmyk like jeff said, and exported as cmyk and
> did a small test. it printed perfectly. everything the same colour
>
> then i thought well, what bout the cmyk bmps exported as rgb and when i
> printed it, one of the suckers were a different colour.
>
> Now the big question is why this happens? why export 3 out of 4 logos
> perfectly, but the last one has to be a different colour? why not all of
> them?
>
> anywho, thanx jeff for the cmyk converting hint. Though I'm pretty sure
> i've had reasons why i don't bother with cmyk... probably ignorance lol
>
>
>
>
> http://community.coreldraw.com/forums/p/17199/72905.aspx#72905
>

thank you too brute for diverting some of your brainwaves to my conundrum.

I need to use .eps cos i have only prints with cut lines for the logos we put on garments and the printed vinyl for stickers.

pardon my ignorance but what would you print on a roland with a pdf that doesn't need cutting? I've been doing this for bout 2 years and only know my little bit of the industry.

Top 50 Contributor
Houston, Texas
Male
I'm in the sign industry so the majority of my printing is for large
prints (ie. 4' x 8' project signs on adhesive backed vinyl or billboards
on flex material). I also do lots of 18" x 24" coroplast yard signs. The
kind with the little wire h-stakes that say "My kid goes to Whatever
Elementary" or "Apartments For Rent". I gang them up as 4' x 8' prints,
use the laminator to apply the whole print to a full sheet of coroplast
and cut them out by hand using an exacto. Quick and easy.

I usually set up runs that take a whole roll of vinyl (54" x 164'). My
Roland can print up to 101" in width so I rarely do anything small like
decals or stickers. It's a true production machine. I waste almost 4' of
material just loading the vinyl through the tension bars. There are so
many uses for large format printers in the sign industry that it's
ridiculous.

Steve
www.brutefish.com

lunanoir wrote:
> thank you too brute for diverting some of your brainwaves to my conundrum.
>
> I need to use .eps cos i have only prints with cut lines for the logos
> we put on garments and the printed vinyl for stickers.
>
> pardon my ignorance but what would you print on a roland with a pdf that
> doesn't need cutting? I've been doing this for bout 2 years and only
> know my little bit of the industry.
>
>
> http://community.coreldraw.com/forums/p/17199/72917.aspx#72917
>
Top 10 Contributor
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Male
TAG - MacroMonster.com

lunanoir:
i converted al my bmps to cmyk like jeff said, and exported as cmyk and did a small test. it printed perfectly. everything the same colour

excellent...

lunanoir:
then i thought well, what bout the cmyk bmps exported as rgb and when i printed it, one of the suckers were a different colour.

non-excellent...

lunanoir:
Now the big question is why this happens? why export 3 out of 4 logos perfectly, but the last one has to be a different colour? why not all of them?

shrug... no idea...

lunanoir:
anywho, thanx jeff for the cmyk converting hint.

Glad to help.

NOW... let's talk about your file. ;-)

Have a look at the difference in the below...

1. modern photo
  2. text kept as vectors for best clarity (in cdr file)
  3. more interesting color scheme
  4. no powerclip needed, only cut line
  5. corner roundness fixed

I suggest to output in high-quality mode only for small decals like this

EPS settings. No header needed. You're creating a massive one at 300 DPI when exporting. I think Versaworks renders it's own sample anyway.

Objects: send Bitmaps as: change to CMYK IMO

lol yes i know this logo bites, but this is their corporate id and i have the roland so i get files to print from our other branch so its not my job really to fix their ugly logos or her cruddy cutlines, though i do, but they had the deadline from hell so this was a real rush job and it shows.

you should've seen the other logos that went with this! low res pixelated images. squashed logos.

some times clients need to be saved from themselves eh? Smile

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.