connecting users of the CorelDRAW family of products

Basic training for CorelDraw Graphics Suite X5

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 19 Replies | 2 Followers

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

Rog posted on Wed, Mar 16 2011 19:53

Where can i get good very basic tutorials on Working with nodes?  I have a CNC plasma cutter and use X5 for simple sign design, mostly wire frame and fonts.  I'm having trouble working with the nodes.  For example what are the red nodes or what ever they are called. I kind of understand the blue nodes, but would like to find a toutorial on making adjustments. Maybe i'm just to new or too old.

Thanks,

Rog

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Cave Creek, AZ
Male
TAG - Mediamarketplace (Foster)
Jeff's Learn to Draw tutorial sounds like it covers exactly what you are asking about.

If you want information on drawing/node editing and a lot more, you might want to look at my CorelDRAW X5 Unleashed.

Rog replied on Thu, Mar 17 2011 14:07

Thanks for the advice, I think i will order both, i need all the help i can get.

Thanks,

Rog

Top 150 Contributor
Red Deer, Alberta CANADA
Male

Rog,

I would suggest your first line of attack should be:

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/ca/en/Content/1152796556718

and check out the tutorials.

Dan W. Armeneau Sign Artist Website Sign Designs Resume

Top 10 Contributor
Virginia USA
Male

Hello Rog; I don't think you will be going wrong ordering the CD's from Jeff. It will cut off a lot of time on the learning
                  curve I'm sure. I wish someone like him was to be found when I started making signs ( there was no net to go
                  to ) Using a CD to learn from is so much easer than trying to read your way thru a job. It's a lot deferent when
                  you buy a program to play with rather than it is to make a living with it. ( You Cant Learn Fast Enough ).

These Are My Thoughts George

TheSignGuy

Computer i5 Intel 2500K 4.0 mh, 16 gig Ram, SSD Main Drive, 1T WD Black, 1T Segate, 2 gig DDR 5 G Force Video card, Windows 7 Utl. 64 bit, ASRock Extreme 4 Mobo

Top 10 Contributor
Pigeon Forge, TN
Male
TAG - gdgmacros.com

TheSignGuy:
I wish someone like him was to be found when I started making signs ( there was no net to go
                  to )

Yea. I don't remember training of any kind. Just a lot of doing and figuring it out for yourself.

-John

Visit me at my GDGMacros website anytime!

Join me on Facebook to stay up to date with GDGMacros, Tips and Tricks for VBA Automation in CorelDraw, Discounts, specials, Free code and macros, and more cool sometimes not so relevant posts!

Top 10 Contributor
Pigeon Forge, TN
Male
TAG - gdgmacros.com

Rog:

Thanks for the advice, I think i will order both, i need all the help i can get.

Thanks,

Rog

Hi.

It a great write-off.

I bought Foster's DVD for my boys. It got them off of the video games and it surprised me how fast they learned. I love seeing their creativity expressed in artwork made with CorelDraw. Highly recommeded!

I have also used Lynda.com There are good CorelDraw videos on that site too. It's $25 per month and you get access to tons of videos for many other subjects too.

-John

Join me on Facebook to stay up to date with GDGMacros, Tips and Tricks for VBA Automation in CorelDraw, Discounts, specials, Free code and macros, and more cool sometimes not so relevant posts!

Rog replied on Fri, Mar 18 2011 12:25

I looked at Lynda.com when i started with X3, just the demo was very helpful.  I up graqded to X5 but i don't see any tutorials for X5 on Lynda.com.

Rog replied on Fri, Mar 18 2011 12:33

I down loaded Jeff's Learn to Draw and love it, it does assume you already have a fair grasp of operating in Corel Draw which i don't, but by watching it several times i have made a great advance in what i can do with Corel Draw

Thanks

Rog

Rog replied on Fri, Mar 18 2011 12:36

If unleashed is as much help asJeff's Learn to draw is i should be set.

Thanksfor the help,

Rog

Rog replied on Fri, Mar 18 2011 12:46

I had been on the Corel tutorials, however i feel like they skip to much of the basics. I 'm very new to this so still figuring out the simple stuff they assume you should know.

Thanks,

Rog

Rog:

I had been on the Corel tutorials, however i feel like they skip to much of the basics. I 'm very new to this so still figuring out the simple stuff they assume you should know.

Way back at version 10 I picked up a copy of CorelDraw - The Official Guide. Still use it, too.

Personally I don't like a lot of video tutorials - you have to follow along, stop them and start them, and sometimes zoom in. Videos are useful I guess for the task at hand, but they don't give you the basics or tie into the big picture. I had the same experience with PhotoShop - I had to make an effort to go back to the basics and strip away a lot of  "everybody knows" stuff to relearn the program efficiently. I was working myself to death, and for no good reason.

Not trying to talk you out of it, just sayin' there's more than one way to skin a cat. Wink It's what works for you and the way you learn that's important.

Top 25 Contributor
Cave Creek, AZ
Male
TAG - Mediamarketplace (Foster)
Silvershoes,

That's why CorelDRAW X5 Unleashed has both the written word and video tutorials. The written part gives you the details you need to know and the videos show a feature in action. So in your words, we skin the cat in more than one way.

Top 10 Contributor
Virginia USA
Male

Hello Rog; It's me again. It is a lot to learn in todays graphic software, and it helps if you have some kind of back ground, but you can get started by trying to do something like draw a box and then reshape it to make something ( a rabbit or anything )  and if you have problems look for a anser for it. And to get going faster see if you can find someone using Corel and ask if you can look over there sholder. ( sign shop, print shop, ect. ) but keep in mind that not all the people that use Corel are up to a 100% in the program. Most people like me learn what they need to do with it and kind of stay at that level ( like me ) but after seeing what can be done I'm starting to pick-up things from the guys and gals here. If you were close to Richmond, Va. you could bring a case of beer over and I could show you everything I know about Corel ( it would take about 10 min. 5 min for the computer to start ) GOOD LUCK and have FUN learning.

My Thoughts Again George

TheSignGuy

Computer i5 Intel 2500K 4.0 mh, 16 gig Ram, SSD Main Drive, 1T WD Black, 1T Segate, 2 gig DDR 5 G Force Video card, Windows 7 Utl. 64 bit, ASRock Extreme 4 Mobo

Top 10 Contributor
Pigeon Forge, TN
Male
TAG - gdgmacros.com

TheSignGuy:
My Thoughts Again George

Hi George.

Completely agreed. I think that's how I learned everything I know.

I have quite a few PHP applications that I wrote a while ago. I look at them even now and wonder how in the hell I did it.

Easy when you actually think about it. Start with a goal in mind, large or small, and just begin. Along the way you tackle each hurdle as it comes and learn tremendously upon crossing each. Before you know it you'll have accomplished your goal. Then you can sit back and admire your work.

Of course I'm a big fan of making smart business choices and Foster's videos are nothing but. Devote a whole week or two and they'll boost you into a win-win situation no matter how you look at it.

TheSignGuy:
If you were close to Richmond, Va. you could bring a case of beer over and I could show you everything I know about Corel ( it would take about 10 min. 5 min for the computer to start ) GOOD LUCK and have FUN learning.

We oughta get together sometime George. If you want a fun summer vacation head down my way. We'll have some beers.

-John

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.