connecting users of the CorelDRAW family of products

Difference between Commercial and Education version

Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS

Not Ranked
Atlanta USA
Male
LuisAlberto Betancur posted on Thu, Mar 29 2012 9:40

What is the difference between Commercial and Education version of Corel X6 other than price.

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Virginia USA
Male

Hello Luis; One of the things is that you aren't suppose to use it for commercial use, and I'm sure someone will jump in and tell you other things. But this is the big one for me.

George

TheSignGuy

Computer i5 Intel 2500K 4.0 mh, 16 gig Ram, SSD Main Drive, 1T WD Black, 1T Segate, 2 gig DDR 5 G Force Video card, Windows 7 Utl. 64 bit, ASRock 4 Extreme Mobo

Top 500 Contributor
Warsaw, Poland
Male

I don't know exactly how it is in the US but in Europe the Educational version is not supported by Corel's technical support.. But the program itself is supposed to be exactly the same, like Thesign Guy said you shouldn't use it for commercial purpose :)

CDGSX6; Windows XP SP3; Pentium D 2,8 GHz; 3 GB RAM

Top 10 Contributor
Murrieta, California, U.S.
Male

The same program, minus a few things, like tech support, upgrade ability with service packs, upgrade discounts to newer versions, fonts, templates, bitmaps, etc., etc.

HuMJohn aka Hugh Johnson

Not Ranked
Atlanta USA
Male

Thanks for all you for your responses.
I have stopped at an store and compare the boxes of Corel X5 Commercial and Student and I have find this differences: Commercial has a lot of more clip arts, high resolution digital photos, fonts (commercial 1000, student 140) and much more templates. Student version have not technical support.

Again thank you, greetings,

LuisAlberto

Paradise

Top 200 Contributor
Bella Vista, Arkansas USA
Male

Usually the Educational version doesn't come with VBA. If you aren't using any macros now, there is a good chance you will be doing so in the future. Corel did a lot of really cool and exciting things under the hood for X6 macro guys.

Not Ranked
Atlanta USA
Male

Thank you for your response, I almost never use the macros but is a good way to do some actions.

Hello All - What is the difference between:

CorelDRAW Home and Student Suite X6 and the

CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6 Education Edition?

They both seem to have the same features from what I see.

Not Ranked
Atlanta USA
Male

Hello,
Commercial has a lot of more clip arts, high resolution digital photos, fonts (commercial 1000, student 140) and much more templates. Student version have not technical support and is not elegible for futures upgrades. Education doesn't come with VBA for macros. 

Star

Top 25 Contributor
Santos, Brazil
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

The text reproduced below was wrote by G. Metrailler (Senior Director, Product Management, Graphics at Corel Corporation)

(http://community.coreldraw.com/forums/p/37174/175097.aspx#175097)

"For Students, Corel has two different products: The Education Edition of CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6 and CorelDRAW Home & Student Suite X6.

CorelDRAW Home & Student Suite X6 is a version of CorelDRAW that is made for the hobbyist and has all the features from the full Graphics Suite that will be needed (and much more), but is lacking some of the high-end professional features such as print separation. Home & Student is licensed for up to 3 computers in one household for non-commercial purpose. Updates to CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6 are not applicable for Home & Student Suite, e.g. Home & Student Suite would get its own updates and fixes. I wrote a blog post when we launched it with more details.

The Education Edition of CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6 is, as its name indicates, the CorelDRAW Graphics Suite licensed for use by qualified students and education institution staff to be used in related with their studdies / school activities. It is also licensed for non-commercial purpose only, but doesn't include the right for multiple computers in one household. Updates for CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6 can be installed on an Education Edition, and they do require a Standard Membership (just like the normal box). The Education Edition is not eligible for a Premium Membership or for upgrades to future versions".

What exactly is a "standard membership"? 

Also, what happens when I'm out of school? Does it stop working or can I still use it?

Hi,

CorelDRAW Home & Student X6 doesn't have a symbol manager so you cannot create or edit symbols. I don't understand why they have removed this feature as it is available in Home & Student X5! I wouldn't have bought it if I had known.

Marciajune

Top 25 Contributor
Ottawa (ON), Canada
Male
CorelEmployee

There are actually different versions of Education / home products based on CorelDRAW. The primary difference between CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6full/upgrade and the Education Edition is the not-for-commercial purpose usage limitation. You normally need to be a student of an accredited school to purchase the Education Edition through an academic reseller (proof of eligibility is normally required)

Corel also provides a version called "CorelDRAW Home & Student Suite X6" which is also not for commercial use. This version is also slightly de-featured compared to CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6 (less content, some pro features such as print separation are disabled, only in 32-bit, ...) and was designed to be a great solution for home users for non-commercial purpose.

Gérard

Using CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X7.1 with Premium Membership, CorelDRAW Technical Suite X6 SP1 & CorelCAD 2014.5
on Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit  / Intel Core i7, 8 Gb RAM.

Hi Gérard,

Thank you for the information. I was using Home & Student Suite X5 which has everything (including symbol manager). Only the print separations and other printing features were disabled. I never imagined they would remove the symbol manager from X6 and really don't understand why they would do this. I am now stuck with the new software and don't know if there is any way I can exchange it. I am entitled to the Education Edition but now can't afford to buy it!

Marciajune

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.