Better grid; disable snap to locked layer?

Hi all, 

In using CorelDRAW (X6) I've wanted a better grid,  with distinguishable major and minor lines, such as distinguishable inch, half-inch and eighth-inch lines (progressively dimmer), like sophisticated graph paper.  So I thought I'd just draw my own grid, which I did and it looks good.

However, I now can't find any combination of settings which allows me to have "Snap to Objects" turned on, but disable snapping to every &^%$# intersection of my lovely grid.

I expected to be able to have my grid on some other combo of layer, master, locked, grouped etc that would keep it in view but disable snapping to it.

I even tried creating it in other software (Visio, FWIW) and importing it as SVG in the hopes that this would avoid the snapping, but no luck.  I suspect I could use a bitmap, but I'd rather have the grid be vector based so it will render nicely at different zooms.

Any suggestions how to hide my grid from snap?  (Or any other clever suggestions for improved grid, short of sticking a large acetate transparency on the screen?)

Thanks!

-- Graham

• I created a working sample, and was hoping to post it. However I encountered several additional gotchas that I'm working through. The main gotchas so far are:

a) You want the grid shape (in my case a group containing many vertical and horizontal lines) to be locked against editing -- some combo of locked shape and locked page -- not sure whether there are implications to choosing one, the other, or both.

b) You want the grid to appear at the back in the "shape order", no matter what. This requires some maneuvering in the Object Manager, in Current Page, Layers only mode.  Having dragged my Master Grid layer as back as possible, it's not completely evident that it will continue to be the back most layer when other layers or additional pages are added.  So more experience is needed to see if this is the final solution.

c) Probably obvious, but -- you want the grid to be invisible to printing.

d) It appears you can draw on the "Desktop" layer, not sure what the implications of that are.

d) All in all, it would be most convenient to simply be able to draw on the Document Grid layer, but that appears to be blocked.

-- Graham