connecting users of the CorelDRAW family of products

Some of the Fonts not displaying properly since windows updates installed today. 12.12.12

Answered (Verified) This post has 10 verified answers | 104 Replies | 15 Followers

Page 1 of 7 (105 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

Top 25 Contributor
Pune, India
Male
CorelDRAWMaster
Anand Dixit posted on Wed, Dec 12 2012 7:05

I got calls from 3 of the DRAW users that some of the fonts are not displaying correctly since they have updated their Windows today. I have not yet connected my laptop to internet. Shall check it and try to identify the culprit update. Any light on this is appreciated.

Few fonts known for not displaying correctly since today

Diavlo_MEDIUM_II_37.otf and its family with light, black etc.
Myriaid PRO

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Not Ranked
Germany
Male
Verified by ruckstande

drummachine:
The affected Microsoft-Update on my Windows 7 x64 system is KB2753842.

Thank you for checking this out. Uninstalling KB2753842 brings Draw back to normal. Of course, Windows Update wants to re-install it. I set it to manual installation, but this is no solution, it is a security update, classified "important".

Top 10 Contributor
Melbourne
Male
Verified by indigo

Watzmann:
Of course, Windows Update wants to re-install it.

In Windows Update you can right-click on an update and choose "Don't show me this update again" and it will not be offered to you again. There is always the option to "Show Me Hidden Updates" if you later decide you want to download it.

Best regards,
Brian.

Brian Melbourne

Top 500 Contributor
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Male
Verified by indigo

I have now completed all the rest of the updates in this list and verified both 32bit and 64bit CorelDRAW versions and indeed it is KB2753842 since that was the only update I did not install on either machine.

Top 500 Contributor
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Male
Verified by indigo

The only way I know for sure works, because I did this myself, is to use Windows Restore and roll back to the last restore point before the update. If you have System Restore turned off, then you may wish to try Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Installed Updates and then highlight the installed update and then uninstall it. I would have personally tried that method first but I chose the easy way out and did a System Restore. If I were you, I'd look in the list of updates and uninstall just that one first and that way if it works then you don't have to reinstall all Windows updates again, unchecking the problematic KB2753842 update.

Also, go to your Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > WIndows Update settings and select Change Settings from the sidebar. From there look for Important Updates and make sure you select Check for updates but let me choose when to install them or just shut them off (Never check for updates) until this gets worked out. It will be up to you to keep checking here until a solution is offered that works and then you can turn them back on.

Not Ranked
Sydney, Australia
Male
Verified by Perm

I can confirm that removing Windows update KB2753842 fixed the issue for me. Fonts appear properly now.

Regards,
Brenden

CorelDRAW powered online designer & eCommerce platform: www.deconetwork.com

Top 50 Contributor
Ottawa, Canada
Male
CorelEmployee
Verified by LAXMAND

John:

Corel is not investigating at this point...we logged a call with MS to find out what happened and we are awaiting news.

T.

Top 100 Contributor
Ottawa
Male
CorelEmployee

Hello guys!

We take this issue very seriously here at Corel. I looked into it and found out that is is indeed a Microsoft problem : not ours. Other application have similar problems, not just CorelDRAW.

The problem is with a windows API called GetGlyphOutline(). (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd144891(v=vs.85).aspx). For certain fonts like those mentionned here, it fails to return us the memory size we need to extract a character's glyph's curves.

That means that any application trying to convert character to curves will fail. CorelDRAW requires that to display text object in enhanced view mode. Other view modes might still work. Convert to curve will also fail and the bounding box calculation of artistic text object will not work as well.

We will notify Microsoft about this.

Claude Peloquin, CorelDRAW Principal Software Developer (Specialty : Text)

Top 10 Contributor
London UK

In Windows 7:

• Soon after uninstalling the unwanted KB, reboot the system
  • Immediately go to Control Panel > Windows Update which should summarise the updates available, including the unwanted KB.
  • Click on the "important" updates which should list them individually
  • Right click on the unwanted KB and select "Hide Update".

In XP:

• Soon after uninstalling the unwanted KB, reboot the system
  • Immediately go to Control Panel > Automatic Updates
  • Follow the "Windows Update Web Site" link near the bottom
  • Eventually (sometimes after accepting a few other steps) you will have two options, Express and Custom. Choose the Custom option.
  • After another very long wait click on high priority in the column on the left
  • Find the unwanted KB and expand the description using the [+] mark on the left
  • Tick the "Don't show this update" box

EDIT: The above (and most of this thread) no longer applies. Microsoft updated the defective KB long ago. The KB currently delivered by Windows Update no longer has the problem that this thread relates to.

Verified by indigo

I can confirm, in my case anyway, that a simple uninstall of the offending update and a reboot will fix the problem with

no system restored required using Win7 64 bit. I actually did it twice because I forgot to turn auto update off the first time.

Verified by indigo

The new update's working here too. Win7 64.

Thanks to the Corel folks for helping to resolve this.

All Replies

I'm using CorelDraw X3 and ALL of my Type1-Fonts are no longer displayed after this Update.

Not Ranked
Germany
Male

I can confirm this. On Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit (German), the following MS Updates were installed this morning:

KB2779652
KB2779030
KB890830
KB2753842
KB2758857
KB2770660
KB2761465 (Internet Explorer 9)

After that, no more fonts, except BT and Windows Standard (Arial, Verdana, Segoe etc); it seems to concern chiefly Adobe fonts. -- Removed the updates via system recovery, everything fine again. Updated once more, same problem. So far, Draw is the only program that shows the issue.

The strange part is that in the path and normal views, paragraph text is still shown, only graphics text fails. In enhanced view, no text at all. Also, when changing a font, it still appears in the preview on the page. But when selected, it disappears.

Not Ranked
Germany
Male
Verified by ruckstande

drummachine:

Thank you for checking this out. Uninstalling KB2753842 brings Draw back to normal. Of course, Windows Update wants to re-install it. I set it to manual installation, but this is no solution, it is a security update, classified "important".

Top 10 Contributor
Melbourne
Male
Verified by indigo

Watzmann:
Of course, Windows Update wants to re-install it.

In Windows Update you can right-click on an update and choose "Don't show me this update again" and it will not be offered to you again. There is always the option to "Show Me Hidden Updates" if you later decide you want to download it.

Best regards,
Brian.

Brian Melbourne

Yep, I can confirm this as well. Uninstalled and fonts are displaying properly again.

I work in the sign business so I must be crazy.

This effected 32 Bit XP as well. I was pulling my hair out until I cam across this... THANKS!!!!

Craig
Top 25 Contributor
Grand Haven, Michigan
Male

KB 2753842. I can confirm this as well for Windows 7 32 bit. Thanks everyone. We'll need to keep bumping this to keep it at the top for a few days I suppose.

Mike

Current System: i3 3.07ghz, 3gb ram, Windows 7 32 bit with all updates and X6

Top 500 Contributor
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Male

I can confirm this font issue also on both 32 bit and 64 bit CorelDRAW X6 versions. I have a screenshot of all Windows Updates that were supposed to be completed on my machines. KB2753842 is in the list...haven't tried to install the rest of the updates but now I will and omit the others.

Glad others are reporting on this issue. Running System Restore will get your machine back to normal as long as you have it running and enough restore points to choose from.

My culprit font was the Birch Standard Open Type font...literally disappeared from my files, that means not visible in outline mode - kapoof! Gone...Also, when typing out a new sentence in that font it would display briefly until I clicked off of it and then it would disappear also.

Top 10 Contributor
Lancaster, PA USA
Male

Anand Dixit:

Diavlo_MEDIUM_II_37.otf and its family with light, black etc.
Myriaid PRO

It appears that this is an issue with open type that has postscript outlines

David Milisock

Aviaon Sans vanishes, but still shows up in the object manager and the nodes are visible on the screen, I can not make it appear moving it to the top of the layer or filling it...? very strange

Top 500 Contributor
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Male
Verified by indigo

I have now completed all the rest of the updates in this list and verified both 32bit and 64bit CorelDRAW versions and indeed it is KB2753842 since that was the only update I did not install on either machine.

Boy, am I glad I found this page.  This thing was making me bounce off the walls.  Now I'm back to work after 4 hours of pointless screwing around.  Thanks guys!

Suggested by RZinzer

How do I remove this update?

Top 500 Contributor
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Male
Verified by indigo

The only way I know for sure works, because I did this myself, is to use Windows Restore and roll back to the last restore point before the update. If you have System Restore turned off, then you may wish to try Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Installed Updates and then highlight the installed update and then uninstall it. I would have personally tried that method first but I chose the easy way out and did a System Restore. If I were you, I'd look in the list of updates and uninstall just that one first and that way if it works then you don't have to reinstall all Windows updates again, unchecking the problematic KB2753842 update.

Also, go to your Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > WIndows Update settings and select Change Settings from the sidebar. From there look for Important Updates and make sure you select Check for updates but let me choose when to install them or just shut them off (Never check for updates) until this gets worked out. It will be up to you to keep checking here until a solution is offered that works and then you can turn them back on.

Page 1 of 7 (105 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.