Circle divided into segments or pie shapes

rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 4 Followers

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

Not Ranked
Valley Center, CA
Male
Stig Lundberg Posted: Fri, Feb 29 2008 22:59

I am making circle templates divided into equal pie shaped sections, to be used as templates in my production shop. It works very well when I make eight pie shapes in equal size.

Problem: When I divide the circle into ten equally sized pieces – I can not separate them individually from the circle form.

I use:

• Ellipse tool – F7.
  • Drag + Ctrl.
  • Click freehand – F5, Enter “quadrant on top and bottom of circle.
  • Click arrange – transformations – rotate.
  • Set the angle of rotation to 30 degree.
  • I can make the ten part “pizza”, so fat so good.
  • But, I can not drag the individual pie pieces from the circle – the way I can with the eight piece form.

Please help – I’m going nuts here. 

Stig.

Top 25 Contributor
Pune, India
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

Hi Stig 

Stig Lundberg:
But, I can not drag the individual pie pieces from the circle – the way I can with the eight piece form.

It seems you are talking about the one like the image I have attached. Let me know if I have done it right so that I can explain how to do it.

Anand

I'm not sure if this is the easiest or fastest way, but I used the smart fill tool to define the separate pieces of pie.

Diane Jersey Girl
Not Ranked
Valley Center, CA
Male

Yes Anand.

You are right indeed.  The problem i have is that i am new at this - loaded the program only ten days ago. I am eager to learn how you did it. Many thanks

Stig.

Not Ranked
Valley Center, CA
Male

Diane.

Thanks for your rapid reply. Your solution looks interesting. I think that I did something similar, as I explained in the first and only post at this forum. I am new at this as you can see. A ten section pinwheel or radial division is what I am shooting for.

Stig.

Not Ranked
Valley Center, CA
Male

Diane.

I typed down the word “pinwheel” in search and to my delight I found out what I had been looking for all of last week. It is a file written by you, May 15, 2007. The second I saw it the proverbial light clicked on. I went into a new file, typed in 36 degree for the angle and rotated, as you described. Bingo – there it was!

Perhaps you are a genius? Worth pondering, I think so.

Thanks again.

Stig

LOL Genius? No.

I think that I just get lucky sometimes.

Glad you found a solution to your problem and that I was able to help a little.

Diane Jersey Girl
Top 25 Contributor
Pune, India
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

Stig Lundberg:
You are right indeed.  The problem i have is that i am new at this - loaded the program only ten days ago. I am eager to learn how you did it. Many thanks

Sorry Stig,

It seems I am a bit late in answering your question.  Any way Diane has solved your problem. That is one way it could be done. I do it by using Shape tool to make the first pie -----> move the centre of rotation ------> duplicate the pie ---------> repeat last action with CTRL + R.

This what I like about CorelDRAW. You can develop your own style of working. 

Believe me, Corel is still more interesting. Enjoy working Yes.

Anand 

Not Ranked
Valley Center, CA
Male

Thank you Anand - that is exactly what i did and it worked just fine.All is well on the front.

However, now i have a new problem. I imported some files of flowers into the first wedge. I then tried to rotate them like you said. The rotation sequence worked but the imported flowers did not duplicate together with the wedge. In other words, there are no flowers on the rest of the wedges. How do i make the imported immage "stick" to the wedge that i duplicate?

Thanks for your help Anand.

Stig. 

either (1) group the image with pie chunk before setting its rotation point, then rotate+duplicate or (2) repeat the whole mentioned sequence for the image separately
Top 25 Contributor
Pune, India
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

Hope its done with Os' solution.

Since you are new to Corel, Stig, I just wanted to mention, as an alternative, you could also use PowerClip to put your flowers inside the pie wedges.

Something like this:

Diane Jersey Girl
Not Ranked
Valley Center, CA
Male

Oz – Anand – Diane.

Good morning all.

Today – Sunday, I will go into hiding in my computer dungeon. There I shall follow the recommend actions that you shared with me. I shall report back with the results.

Once again many thanks for your help.

Stig. 

Just to put forward another solution:

1. Draw the pie shape,
  2. Duplicate it (<ctrl>D or copy/paste or "clone" or R-drag and 'copy here' or L-drag with <ctrl> or L-drag and tap R button...),
  3. Blend between the two shapes (make the number of steps the number of segments you want minus two)
  4. Draw a circle to put the pie shapes arround
  5. Fit the blend to the circular path (tic "rotate objects" and "full path" on)

This method has a couple of things going for it:

• You don't need to do this with a pie segment; just use the 'flower' shape.
  • If you drag the circle you use for a path, the spacing between them will change so you can seperate the segments with ease.
  • You can just change the number of steps in the blend to increase the number of segments.
  • Moving the rotation point (on both the start and end points unless you "cloned" the start object) moves where the object attaches to the path.

Another tip to the 'copy' method: if you duplicate any object, then rotate the duplicate and position it next to the first one (position and rotate it without de-selecting it) then it remembers the relative position from the first object - if you now duplicate (<ctrl>D) this one, it will apply the same rotation and off-set to the duplicate - just hit (<ctrl>D) however many times you need to and it will fan out the objects.

(If you are just using the pie segment for positioning, then you may find that it's not really necessary - or only necessary for the first object)

{Edit: another method...}

This works just as well -

• Create a circle,
  • Draw a straight line from center to top,
  • Use the selection mode and click on the line again to get the rotation handles
  • move the center point to the center of the circle
  • Drag the top rotation handle and tap the R-mouse button (<Ctrl> constrains to whatever angle you've set in the Options, but you can simply type in the angle once you've coppied the shape)
  • <Ctrl>D to duplicate this however many times
  • Once done, hold <alt> and draw a selection box around the mid point of the circle.
  • "Combine" the lines together
  • Give them an outline eg of 2pt
  • <Shift> and drag a corner handle to stretch the lines beyond the cirlce
  • Use Arrange|convert outline to object (<ctrl><shift>Q)
  • <Shift> and click on the circle
  • Select "Trim"
  • use Arrange|break curve apart (<Ctrl>K ) to get individual segments
  • Delete the 'spokes'
Not Ranked
Valley Center, CA
Male

Thanks to all of You guys. I am now able to handle it, almost without a flaw.

However, now I have a different problem.

It is making a star. I made one and it turned out the way I wanted it. Problem is, I can’t remember how on earth I did it!!!

I and our daughter have tried all day and it get worse. I will make a copy of the one I made and come back soon under another topic.

Watch for the “perfect star”!

Stig.

Confused

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.