connecting users of the CorelDRAW family of products

Corel Draw 12 and vista

rated by 0 users
This post has 42 Replies | 14 Followers

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

DesignerX Posted: Thu, Jun 7 2007 19:11

Hi, I hope some one can help me. I recently got a new coumputer, which has vista. I have installed my corel draw 12 graphics suite on it, but I am having problems. I get a message that "corel photo paint has stopped responding" and that it has stopped interacting with windows. Does it have to do with the fact that it may not be compatible with vista? and if so what do i do? is there a patch I can download?

I am happy to have found this site, and hope I can get some good information here.

thank you

Top 25 Contributor
Ottawa (ON), Canada
Male
CorelEmployee

Hello and welcome to the CorelDRAW community,

you might find this thread interesting. The only version of CorelDRAW Graphics Suite that is compatible with Windows Vista (e.g. supported by Corel) is version X3. A patch is available for X3 for those who purchased it before Vista got released... but there are no patches for version 12. There seem to be mixed report on how well previous versions of CorelDRAW work on Windows Vista. As a side note, you are eligible for the upgrade version of X3.

Gérard

Using CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X7.2 with Premium Membership, CorelDRAW Technical Suite X6 SP2 & CorelCAD 2014.5
on Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit  / Intel Core i7, 8 Gb RAM.

Thank you for your quick response Gerard, Can I safely assume that I need to purchse the X3 up grade then get the patch for vista? that would make loads of sense. I am learning corel draw 12 basically on my own, and I am over whelmed at how powerful this program is. I am also learing photoshop 7 as well. so you can say i have my hands full.

I am i digital scrap booker, and create elements and papers in photosop, but would like to become more efficient in corel draw, so i have the option to use either program.

but i do have another question. with regard to corel capture, you can take shots of the screen. but can you take shots of moving pictures. for example if i have a dvd playing, can i take still shots of any moving pictures.

again i am soooo happpy to have found this forum. i now have a ray of hope to learn some cool stuff.

thanks

Top 50 Contributor
Jacksonville, Florida USA
Male
CorelDRAWMaster

FYI if you check out my first blog I have listed many resources along with urls pertaining to Corel.  Many tutorials some free and some not.

I think you'll be very pleased with X3, many new additions and by far the best version yet. 

Top 25 Contributor
Ottawa (ON), Canada
Male
CorelEmployee

DesignerX:
Thank you for your quick response Gerard, Can I safely assume that I need to purchse the X3 up grade then get the patch for vista? that would make loads of sense. I am learning corel draw 12 basically on my own, and I am over whelmed at how powerful this program is.

Yes, you can buy the upgrade version of CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X3. As this product was released before Vista was made available, some boxes don't have the Vista certified version of CorelDRAW in the box. If that's the case, you can download the Service Pack 2 for free from Corel's web site. In addition to the great tutorials and resources listed throughout this site, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X3 in itself also includes tools that will accelerate your learning (hints docker in the product, Insights from the Experts tutorials, training video - in the box).

With Corel Capture, taking screenshots of moving pictures might work with certain applications... it really depends on how that application shows the movie on the screen. Quite a few apps actually completely bypass Windows to display the movie, and Capture won't be able to get that. Worth a try with your software of choice. Cool

Gérard 

Using CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X7.2 with Premium Membership, CorelDRAW Technical Suite X6 SP2 & CorelCAD 2014.5
on Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit  / Intel Core i7, 8 Gb RAM.

Hi

I have graphics suite 12 also and it downloaded and runs fine with my vista, so I can't see why it shouldn't work for you. 

Draw 12 is working fine on Vista for me as well....sofar

G.

Hey everyone - I'm glad that I stumbled across this site. Definitely bookmarked for future reference!

I too am having some trouble with Vista. My new laptop came with Vista, so I'm kind of stuck with it.  Corel 12 installs find and seems to run fine, however I run into trouble when trying to install SP1. The installation wizard halts and doesn't update the program, presumably when it discovers that you aren't running XP. Because it is a Windows .msp file, I can't find any options to run it in XP compatibility mode.

So my questions are:

1) For those of you running CGS12 on Vista, what was your method for upgrading to SP1?

2) Failing getting it patched to SP1, is there a way to disable the update notifications each time I start one of the applications? I am going to be using PhotoPain primarily, and based on the list of fixes in SP1, there are only a few minor issues in PhotoPaint that were fixed (most were in Draw).

Of course, the obvious answer would be to upgrade to X3, but I'm not a heavy user of the software and I haven't yet felt limited by version 12 (until my little Vista problem came along!), so I'd like to try and get the most out of 12 if I can. Thanks so much for any tips that you might have.

JS

Top 50 Contributor
Apple Valley, MN
Male

Two options are availible to try:

1. Download the SP1 executable to your desktop. Bypass the Akami Downloader and get the file by direct download. On the file on your desktop, right click and select the properties. Choose Run in XP Compatability Mode and Run as Administrator. Close. Then execute the file. It should allow you to install the SP after a few warnings.

2. Disable UAC in the User section of Control Panel, reboot, run the Service Pack, Reenable UAC, reboot and you should be good to go.

So far, I am happy with Vista. One computer came with the other was an upgrade. I am no longer using 12 and believe X3 is a worthwile upgrade.

Rikk Flohr
Fleeting Glimpse Images
All things Digital Imaging  Blog  

Holy Crop! the blog dedicated to Cropping

Top 100 Contributor
University Place,WA

Regarding capturing screen shots, Corel Capture does a very good job! However, it has it's limitations when it comes to moving images. Several years ago I used Corel along with some other video software to provide a client with a "satisfactory" product. It was a very small portion of the presentation so "it got by." However, shortly after finishing,I came across a product called Camtasia that is very reasonably priced http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia/whatsnew.asp this might be a good choice for you.

Scott Markham Graphic Scenes

Hey Rikk - thanks for the fast reply. I appreciate the tips.

Regarding option 1, each time I try and download SP1 (whether using the downloader or the Corel web site) I am only able to get a .msp file. Is there a better way to track down an .exe?  The .msi (edit: .msp) doesn't give me the XP compatibility mode option like an .exe does. I was hoping that I would be able to do the XP compatibility thing for this because it has worked well for a couple of other programs that weren't liking Vista.

For option 2, I have UAC disabled. I actually turned that off on day one because I was sick of it asking me "permission" for pretty much everything!  :)

The exact error that I am getting happens right when the installer launches. It says: "The wizard was interrupted before CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 12 could be completely installed."  I have tried with and without disc 1 in the drive (worth a try), I have made sure I have the correct administrator privileges, reinstalled the entire suite a couple of times, etc.

Any other tips?

Thanks! 

JS

Not Ranked
Urbana, IL

I have the exact same issues with Sp1 and the "wizard".  If I get lucky I will pass it along. I was hoping Corel would take care of this since it's only one issue older.

Dave K. 

Not Ranked
Urbana, IL

What is the procedure to bypass the akami downloader?

Thanks

Dave

Top 50 Contributor
Apple Valley, MN
Male

Rather than have the downloader check for updates, go to corel.com and choose the Support Page, then the Download and Patch page. Select the Other products including previous versions at the bottom and find Corel Graphics Suite 12. Select the appropriate download and when you get to a page that looks like this, do not click the button but click the hyperlinked text in the paragraph below. This will bring the file directly to your computer and bypass the downloader.

~Rikk

Rikk Flohr
Fleeting Glimpse Images
All things Digital Imaging  Blog  

Holy Crop! the blog dedicated to Cropping

Top 75 Contributor
Huntsville, AL
Female
Val P. replied on Tue, Jul 10 2007 19:46
Did that, Rikk, and still have the .msp file that won't work in Vista.
I've tried everything I could think of, including renaming the file as a
..exe. (OK, I was flailing in the dark.) Fortunately, I don't have to
actually WORK in v.12 now, but it would be good to be able to get that
patch going anyway. Seems like it fixed a couple of things I was always
having trouble with.

If anyone gets the patch working in Vista, let us know. I'm sure my
students will be hollering sooner or later if they haven't all upgraded
to X3.

Val P.

Rikk Flohr wrote:
> Rather than have the downloader check for updates, go to corel.com and
> choose the Support Page, then the Download and Patch page. Select the
> Other products including previous versions at the bottom and find Corel
> Graphics Suite 12. Select the appropriate download and when you get to a
> page that looks like this
> ,
> do not click the button but click the hyperlinked text in the paragraph
> below. This will bring the file directly to your computer and bypass the
> downloader.
>
>
>
> ~Rikk
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Rikk Flohr
> Fleeting Glimpse Images
> www.fleetingglimpse.com
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> http://community.coreldraw.com/forums/p/582/3795.aspx#3795
>

http://www.lvsonline.com "Where learning is fun!"

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
© Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions / User Guidelines.