• Drive By Shooting

Well, Point-n-Shooting, that is. Sometimes you find yourself strapped into a seat, hurtling at 75 mph in a car, down a highway, on the back roads of whatever land into which you are currently imprisoned.  Beside you the guide posts whirl by, much slower...
    • Mon, Nov 30 2009
  • Krasbit Layouter

Normally I talk about one macro each Monday. Of course that macro may have a few different features included with it. Today we are going to talk about a whole group of macros that are packaged together as Krasbit Layouter. I always recommend that you...
    • Mon, Nov 30 2009
  • Father Christmas

I saw parts of a few parades on TV during the Thanksgiving holiday. Each one had a very similar ending as Santa Claus arrived and the Christmas season officially began. So I thought it would only be appropriate if I were to find a clip art image of Santa...
    • Sun, Nov 29 2009
  • All CPU Meter Desktop Gadget

If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, you'll be in luck. Sorry XP users, you'll have to upgrade to take advantage of today's widget...or make that gadget. You see we're going to look at a Desktop Gadget that runs as part of the Windows Sidebar...
    • Sat, Nov 28 2009
  • Degrassi Font

Yesterday was very relaxing. It was the Thanksgiving holiday here in the United States where we take time to share a tasty dinner with our family and friends. As my family is many miles away, I joined an eclectic group of friends. We shared conversation...
    • Fri, Nov 27 2009
  • A note on creating attractive images with a Paletted bit depth

Study these settings, and give them a try on your next GIF or Paletted PNG.

A few changes make a huge difference...

• Thu, Nov 26 2009
  • HDR: The Results Show

Well, I received a good response off the last post. The image in the previous post was not an HDR image but rather one that was recovered strictly through the RAW converter. Below is the same file processed with the benefit of a three-exposure HDR. You...
    • Tue, Nov 24 2009
  • Pick Your Poizin

Rather than a plain tutorial today, I thought I'd show you how some artwork created in CorelDRAW is used to make some wine extra special. I know that many of you in the United States will be celebrating Thanksgiving this week and that often includes a...
    • Tue, Nov 24 2009
  • AM Halftone dot integrity for conversions to 1-bit monchrome

A quick test I made... interesting how 3 programs convert to 1-bit. I love Photo-PAINT, but hopefully the next version will have better integrity relative to the others shown.

I intentionally used a low line screen to reveal the circle integrity.

• Tue, Nov 24 2009
  • Hatch Fill

CorelDRAW includes a wide variety of fills in its arsenal. One type of fill that has been curiously missing is the hatch fill. It is included as part of Corel DESIGNER (download a free trial), but I've asked and Corel intends to keep it there. That means...
    • Mon, Nov 23 2009
  • To HDR or not to HDR?

That is the question. I get this question at just about every presentation I give. Oh, the question may take a different form such as: Is that HDR? What HDR program did you use there? Photoshop? Photomatix? That has to be HDR, right? Novices in the art...
    • Sun, Nov 22 2009
  • Round Turkey

I'm really lucky this year. I get to celebrate Thanksgiving twice. Yesterday I joined some friends for an early Thanksgiving dinner. I'm still full of food! Of course I'll celebrate with some other friends on Thursday on Thanksgiving day. What this means...
    • Sun, Nov 22 2009
  • Remember Your Passwords Automatically!

Do you use the same password on all the Web sites you visit? If not, do your forget many of them? Or do you completely forget the login information? I'm guess all of the above applies to many of us. Unfortunately that is one way that the bad guys get...
    • Sat, Nov 21 2009
  • We Give Thanks

Last week I provided you with a link to the 4YEOTHANKS dingbat font as one example of Thanksgiving designs. With the holiday less than a week away, we need another appropriate font to use. We Give Thanks is another dingbat font with some really intricate...
    • Fri, Nov 20 2009
  • Select All Tricks

When working in CorelDRAW, as well as most any other software, pressing Ctrl + A will select all. By default in CorelDRAW, it select all objects in your drawing. But there are a few tricks you can use to select other things. If a guideline is selected...
    • Thu, Nov 19 2009
  • At the Ready

Keeping a camera handy and ready-to-shoot is a great way to capture fleeting moments. Today’s Catch: Albino Squirrel Personally, I keep a camera charged and ready-to-go, sitting on the shelves next to my desk should something interesting happen by. ...
    • Wed, Nov 18 2009
  • Canon 7D DSLR

It seems like everywhere I go these days, the signs of Christmas are quite evident. So in my next few Hump Day Hardware posts I'm going to talk about some toys that you might want to get yourself as a present. We'll start out with a great new DSLR from...
    • Wed, Nov 18 2009
  • Illustration for Who is Pirate? at Swedish National Maritime Museum

This is the new illustration I did the for the new poster, for the new upcoming exhibition "Who is Pirate?" at Swedish National Maritime Museum, which opens December 5, 2009. I also made 4 additional illustrations that are part of the actual...
    • Tue, Nov 17 2009
  • Using OpenType Features: Figure Styles

Today we're going to return to a tutorial teaching you more about fonts. Using OpenType Features: Figure Styles gives you a wonderful description of the different types of figures and ways to use them in Adobe InDesign.

To use special characters like...
    • Tue, Nov 17 2009
  • GDG Click-It! Contours and Shadows

When you are working with Contours in CorelDRAW, the options provided don't give you a choice for the type of corners you want. GDG Click It! Contours & Shadows allows you to choose between rounded and beveled corners. You can also apply a Contour...
    • Mon, Nov 16 2009
  • Fashion Graphics Women

Fashion Graphics WomenIf you design garment graphics, you definitely want to check out YouGraph's Fashion Graphics Women collection. It includes a total of 30 fantastic designs that are ready to use or even to modify. Not sure if it is right for you? Download a free s...
    • Sun, Nov 15 2009
  • Wilcom DecoStudio e1.5

Not all users are aware of the amazing fashion designs that can be created in CorelDRAW. A really cool product for creating multidecorations is Wilcom DecoStudio e1.5 and now is a great time to give it a look if you haven't already. Why is it a great...
    • Sat, Nov 14 2009
  • 4YEOTHANKS Font

That name is sure a mouthful. Canadian Thanksgiving has already passed and the US version is getting closer every day. That led me to a search for an appropriate font. 4YEOTHANKS is a dingbat font with some cute graphics related to the holiday. If you...
    • Fri, Nov 13 2009
  • Changing Outline Defaults

A loyal reader recently asked me how to change the default outline to a hairline. Picking the thickness you want is pretty simple. The key is knowing how to change the default outline. With nothing selected in CorelDRAW, bring up the Outline Pen dialog...
    • Thu, Nov 12 2009
  • CorelDRAW X4 and Color Management Bundles

Corel has put together several holiday bundles that combine CorelDRAW X4 with tools to help you master the art of color management. There are introductory, advanced and professional bundles available and all of them are at special prices good through...
    • Wed, Nov 11 2009