• Sun, Jan 31 2010

One Week Left to Sign-up for Worldesigns’ April’s Costa Rica Tour

Sign up before it is too late! The February Tour registration is closed and we are preparing to embark on a journey of photographic discovery.  The April tour, however has one week left for you to sign up to join us on the trip-of-a-lifetime. Registration for the April tour will close on Sunday, February 7th 2010. [...]
    • Sun, Jan 31 2010

Vintage Cupid Shooting Arrow

I started the theme on Friday with a Valentine's Day related font. So it only made sense to follow up with some cupid themed artwork. I found a vintage hand-drawn image of cupid shooting an arrow that can be download as either a Photoshop file with transparency (should also work fine in Corel PHOTO-PAINT. It is also available as a vector EPS file that you can use in CorelDRAW or Adobe Illustrator. This might be of...
    • Sat, Jan 30 2010

Serif PagePlus X4

Not a day goes by where a CorelDRAW user doesn't beg for more desktop publishing features in CorelDRAW. I really wouldn't hold your breath for these features. Instead, it is in your best interests to find a publishing tool that works the best for you for usage in conjunction with CorelDRAW. Today I want to introduce you to Serif PagePlus X4 as it packs a lot of bang for the buck. Is it the most powerful tool available...
    • Fri, Jan 29 2010

Heart and Soul

I'm not one who obsesses over a calendar so I hadn't even realized that we were so close to February already until I looked at the calendar today. With February comes Valentine's Day so I figured I would point you to some fonts with hearts and love as a theme over the next two to three weeks. Today's font is called Heart & Soul and it is a dingbat font with various pictograms geared towards a lover's...
    • Thu, Jan 28 2010

An Interesting Use of the Object Data Manager

The Object Data Manager is one of those features that has been incredibly useful to a small percentage of users while being ignored by the vast majority. I'm sure that one reason it isn't used more often is that users just haven't found a way it should be used. So today I'm going to show you one way that a developer is using it to create interactive data on a cemetery . Follow the link and then click on...
    • Wed, Jan 27 2010

1000 Words: Arenal Cloud Forest

A little in-camera impressionistic effect with deliberate motion. Rikk Flohr © 2010 del.icio.us Tags: camera motion,blur,Arenal,Costa Rica,cloud forest
    • Wed, Jan 27 2010

Thermaltake BlacX Duet

I've talked about external hard drives in the past and I've even talked about a simple connector for hooking up a loose hard drive. The Thermaltake BlacX Duet connects to your computer via either USB 2.0 or eSata and allows you to slide either one or two loose drives into the unit. This makes it very say to connect anyones drive to your computer quickly or simply to buy a new hard drive and connect it to your...
    • Tue, Jan 26 2010

PaintShop Photo Pro and VideoStudio Pro Upgraded and On Sale Today

Corel has released PaintShop Photo Pro X3 and VideoStudio Pro X3 and special pricing is in place today, January 26th, 2010, for the upgrades.I'll give you a brief overview of the products, but I'd highly recommend you follow the links to check out these new products for yourself. Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3 gives you the power to easily organize, edit and share professional-quality photos—fast. Ideal for DSLR...
    • Tue, Jan 26 2010

Simulate Parallel Lines in CorelDRAW

This tutorial goes back a few years, but the information presented is still very relevant. Jeff Harrison has a free video tutorials showing An Easy Way to Simulate Parallel Lines in CoreDRAW . Even better, you can easily edit the lines after they have been created. Give it a look and I bet you'll learn a new technique that will be quite useful.
    • Mon, Jan 25 2010

MonsterMerge Variable Imaging Suite

I've told you about the MonsterMerge Variable Imaging Suite before and I decided to talk about it again because it provides features that are useful to so many CorelDRAW users. One thing I should make clear is that CorelDRAW X4 is required to run it. Why not on the older versions? Quite simply because Corel added the ability to merge to a new file in CorelDRAW X4. That feature alone is worth upgrading if you use Print...
    • Sun, Jan 24 2010

Simple Exports for web graphics

Sometimes a simple thing like exporting a selected logo out from CorelDRAW can confuse people. Yes, there are several screens of parameters to get through. But they're available for a reason, and I'd rather have these options than not. Here's a movie to export a GIF file for cases where there are less than 256 hues.
    • Sun, Jan 24 2010

National Hockey Teams

Can you believe it is less than a month until the 2010 Olympics begins in Vancouver? I have already heard various people talking about their hockey team and how it might do in the Olympics. That led me to searching for the logos of the various national teams . Only a handful are currently available and I suspect that more will become available as we get closer to the start of the games.
    • Sat, Jan 23 2010

Like to chear yourself up a bit maybe

Like to chear yourself up a bit today maybe. What could better than listen to a song by Marvin Gay.
    • Sat, Jan 23 2010

Great Documentary of the great Billy Paul - man who wrote Me & Mrs Jones

I saw a great documentary called " Am I Black Enough For You Trailer " about song writer and artist Billy Paul. The man who wrote the great song " Me & Mrs Jones " - and of course "Am I Black enough for you". I was a very young kid when the songs came out, but the music came very early to my attention because of my brothers and cousins who were very much older and played all the great...
    • Fri, Jan 22 2010

KR Down By the Sea Font

For the last week, I've been enjoying time on and near the ocean. I've done some diving and saw all kinds of fish. I've walked the beach and found a variety of shells. Since I can't share that directly with you, I thought I'd try to find a font that might do the trick. Check out KR Down By The Sea Font and you'll find pictographs of many of the things I've seen.
    • Thu, Jan 21 2010

Bittersweet Software Decisions

The occasion of rebuilding a computer means that you can clear away the clutter of years of aggregated software installs, previous versions and flat-out mistakes in strategies. It also means that old, disused, obsolete and no-longer-compatible software doesn’t make the cut. Recently I decided to take my powerful quad-core machine up a notch and doubled [...]
    • Thu, Jan 21 2010

Memory and CorelDRAW

As much as I've tried to inform CorelDRAW users about the useless Memory setting, I still see it referenced on a regular basis. So I'm going to ask all of you to read a post from 2008 titled Memory Usage Setting Does Nothing . The most recent reference I saw to this setting was from a user who had 5 GB of memory installed in their computer and was complaining that Corel PHOTO-PAINT only was using 2 GB. I thought...
    • Wed, Jan 20 2010

Apple Releases (a little late) Boot Camp Support for Windows 7

Although promised by year’s end in 2009, Apple announced today the release of Boot Camp 3.1 with support for both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 7. It appears you must have Version 3.0 of Boot Camp installed prior to performing the 3.1 update. Version  3.0 can be found on your Snow Leopard [...]
    • Wed, Jan 20 2010

Yamaha 2-Way Indoor/Outdoor Speakers

Last week I told you about the small mixer I am using to provide microphone and computer output for our CorelDRAW Unleashed Boot Camps . There was one other piece of the puzzle that needed to be solved. The training room did not have speakers in the back of the room. Luckily I had thought far enough in advance to wire the room for rear speakers so there were already connections for plugging in speakers. The key was finding...
    • Tue, Jan 19 2010

Creating Murals with Corel PHOTO-PAINT X4

I know there are a good number of users who create tile murals with the CorelDRAW Graphics Suite. Today's tutorial, Creating Murals with Corel PHOTO-PAINT X4 , is a video made of static screen shots explaining the process. There is no sound so I admit the video might be a little tough to watch. Jeff Harrison and I have discussed the process and we think there is a way to significantly improve both the quality of the...
    • Mon, Jan 18 2010

Hendrik's Startnode

Need to find the first node on each path or subpath in your drawing? Hendrik's Startnode will make this process easier for you. To make the process even quicker, assign the macro to a button or shortcut key. Best of all, it is a free download.
    • Mon, Jan 18 2010

Eliminating Points of Failure

When presenting, leaving a single item to chance ensures that you will be at chance’s mercy. As a frequent presenter and teacher at both photographic societies and software conferences, I try to carry multiple backups of those things which are a point of failure. Examples: Backup Camera Backup Laptop Backup Presentation Copies Extra Mouse Multiple Laser Pointers Paper Copies of Presentations To [...]
    • Sun, Jan 17 2010

Dare to Dream

Today I'd like to tell you about a really awesome piece of artwork perfect for any of you doing either screen printing or digital garment printing. Sure, it can be used for other things as well. February is Black History Month and the Dare to Dream graphic is a perfect depiction of the month. You get a full color version of the image as well as pre-separated versions for both Photoshop and CorelDRAW. If you want to...
    • Sat, Jan 16 2010

Page Layout Software

Not a day goes by without a message from someone wanting to use CorelDRAW to lay out a longer document. For 4-8 pages, CorelDRAW can be a good solution. But I find it totally lacking on anything longer. Of course users ask Corel to add features to CorelDRAW to make it better. I wouldn't hold your breath on seeing those features anytime soon. People also try to use a word processor as a layout package and that is equally...
    • Fri, Jan 15 2010

FINALLY Thunderbird 3.0 has arrived, about time!

Finally the latest version of Mozillas Thunderbird 3.0 have arrived. It is surely about time. For those who only uses webmail nowadays, this is lika a non-news. But for those who still use a email client like Thunderbird, Outlook and so on, this is News! To look at and read about and finally maybe download this free email client, go here to Mozilla and learn more about this new release. Stefan Lindblad Illustrator &...