• Behind the Shot: The Frog Prints

You have to say the title out-loud to get it~ Some of you may remember a previous entry when I was feeling froggy. I wrote about using field lights at night for finding and photographing frogs in Costa Rica and then applying correct white balancing. Though...
    • Fri, Apr 30 2010
  • Wet Pet

After two months of grunge fonts, today will be the last one for now. Wet Pet is going to make you think this font has something to do with animals. That certainly doesn't look to be the case. Like some of the other grunge fonts, the outlines of the characters...
    • Fri, Apr 30 2010
  • Working With Scanned Text

I find that many users are thoroughly confused by the graphics they scan. I was reminded of this yesterday when a user posted a question about working with a page of scanned text. The user wanted to manipulate the individual characters of text and even...
    • Thu, Apr 29 2010
  • Tools You Can Be Leaf In

One user asked about leaves in CorelDRAW.

She wanted to use the PostScript Leaf fill, but find a way to fill those leaves with custom colors. While there are tedious ways to do it, IMO the fill itself isn't that great. One of the skills I have is to look...
    • Thu, Apr 29 2010
  • Cutting Press Sheets with Crop Marks

Once a user prints out their sheets with crop marks, they realize at some point that they've also cut off the marks that go in the other direction.

Here's an idea I came up many years ago when cutting business cards on a commercial machine. This is...
    • Wed, Apr 28 2010
  • Microsoft LifeCam Cinema

These days it is so easy to communicate with people on the other side of the world using software like Skype. Where Skype really gets fun is when you use it with a Webcam so the call has video of each of the callers. I have frequently done this when traveling...
    • Wed, Apr 28 2010
  • The Crop Dictionary is Online at Holy Crop!

Back from Costa Rica! I just posted an update on the Holy Crop! Blog announcing the inclusion of Rikk’s Holy Crop! Cropping Dictionary. Click here to read the post. Rikk Flohr © 2010
    • Tue, Apr 27 2010
  • Installing Plug-Ins in Corel PHOTO-PAINT

The last two weekends I've provided links to some cool Photoshop plug-ins that work in Corel PHOTO-PAINT. Today I wanted to write a short tutorial to explain how to install plug-ins.

Plug-Ins With Installer: Some plug-in packages include an installer...
    • Tue, Apr 27 2010
  • Registration for Vinyl Pieces

Lining up vinyl pieces relative to the edge of a sign, or to other pieces is possible by simply creating some registration pieces. I use triangles.

In this example, I'd lay the black artwork down first so that it's square with the sign piece. Then the...
    • Tue, Apr 27 2010
  • Transparency Option for Custom Icons

When assigning or customizing an icon, you may have overlooked an option to set a transparent area.

I'll admit I didn't notice this until about a year ago. One of our VBA developers at macromonster.com had icons with bright blue backgrounds as BMP files...
    • Tue, Apr 27 2010
  • NumberGen 1.5

One of the most powerful tools in CorelDRAW is the ability to impose multiple pages onto a single printed sheet. When combined with the Print Merge facility, you can do amazing projects in a very limited timeframe. Probably the toughest part of such a...
    • Mon, Apr 26 2010
  • Noisia Applications Color Spectrum Pro has had a major update!

In the sign and printing industries, artists are often called upon to match specific colors. This color can be anything from a Pantone color, to a hardcopy proof.

Due in part to the color shift between pigment based colors such as Pantones and the CMYK...
    • Mon, Apr 26 2010
  • CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5 - How to neatly pack a computer software

I read an article in Swedish Graphics Magazine Cap & Design (use google translate), Adobe Creative CS5 new packaging. Okay, it looks pretty traditional. Neither good nor bad. Nothing negative. It looks completely okay. Since Cap & Design is Cap...
    • Sun, Apr 25 2010
  • Text Line Spacing from Imported PDF Files

When opening a PDF, you may know how to reassemble text strings into blocks of text. If not, Shift+Select the text in the order you want it combined, then press CTRL+L to combine it.

However, many tremble with fear when they proceed to see a blob of text...
    • Sun, Apr 25 2010
  • Moon Vector Clip Art

A couple of nights ago we held the BBQ for the latest CorelDRAW Unleashed Training Boot Camp. As always we had a great meal and a great time socializing. The only bummer was that it was extremely overcast so we couldn't see the stars and moon. Afterwards...
    • Sun, Apr 25 2010
  • How to Make a Simple Icon

Most of our newer macros all come with "official" icons to help save time for the users when setting up their own macro toolbars. That means the older ones didn't come with them.

However, making a quick icon isn't too bad once you get the...
    • Sun, Apr 25 2010
  • MV Color Replacer

Last week I told you about the Wireworm plug-in and got a significant amount of positive feedback. So today I wanted to tell you about a plug-in from the same developer that is equally excellent. Most image editing software includes some sort of color...
    • Sat, Apr 24 2010
  • Trimming with Lines Instead of the Knife Tool

I've always felt CorelDRAW's knife tool was unintuitive and unpredictable.
    By drawing lines lines instead in advance, one can:
    • Create very complex trimming lines in advance (the trimming line can be very curvy)
    • Position the trimming line exactly...
    • Sat, Apr 24 2010
  • How To Make Blurry Text

A user in the Coreldraw.com forums asked about how to intentionally make text blurry. Here are some steps to follow:

• Sat, Apr 24 2010
  • VTKS Revolt

This font reminds me of a circus font gone wild. Maybe VTKS Revolt somehow means that the font is revolting from being a circus font. Or maybe it is just a really cool looking grunge font that is perfect for a project.
    • Fri, Apr 23 2010
  • Landscape Photography Tips

I just finished taking a landscape photography course last night. It was taught by a frequent contributor to Arizona Highways magazine. So it was interesting that I came across My Five Favorite Landscape Photography Tips just before going to that last...
    • Thu, Apr 22 2010
  • Corel Earth Day Sale

In honor of Earth Day, Corel is having a one day sale on the downloadable versions of several of their products. Please note that the discounts only apply to the download version and they will only be in effect on April 22, 2010. If you click on the links...
    • Wed, Apr 21 2010
  • Computer Tool Kit

We all use computers. If not, you wouldn't be reading this blog. If you need to do some work on your computer, do you have a special tool kit for it? I'm not expecting you to do major surgery on your computer, though you certainly can do that. Even opening...
    • Wed, Apr 21 2010
  • Bitmap Manipulator Released

This macro allows comprehensive resampling and color model changes for bitmaps in your document.

It's the fastest way to convert numerous bitmaps to another color model, and/or change their resolution.
    • It has the ability to find bitmaps inside Groups...
    • Tue, Apr 20 2010
  • Jeff's Select Same 2

Before I get to today's macro, I thought I would let you know that this is post #1000 in the Graphics Unleashed blog. It is hard to believe that I've written so many posts, yet it has been several years since the first post. I hope that you are all getting...
    • Mon, Apr 19 2010