• Sat, Dec 31 2011

30 Things for the New Year

Most of my focus on this blog is to help you get the most out of your graphics. As we are about to turn the calendar on a new year, I wanted to pass along some thoughts on getting the most from life. I wish I could say I came up with the 30 Things to Stop Doing to Yourself on my own as it is a really good list. Give it a read and hopefully it will bring out your best in 2012 and beyond. We at Graphics Unleashed want to...
    • Sat, Dec 31 2011

Design Base Automation Plug-In for CorelDRAW X3-X5

As I talk to designers, it seems like the Holy Grail is a tool that will just do what you want in one click. I'm not sure that it will ever be that easy, but Design Base Automation Plug-in for CorelDRAW X3-X5 certainly makes things a lot easier. When you launch it, you get a dialog box similar to the one shown at right. From the dialog you can access art packs, clipart, flyers, comps, templates, outlines and envelopes...
    • Fri, Dec 30 2011

Wager BRK Fonts

When I think of wagering, Las Vegas immediately comes to mind. Las Vegas is the most popular place in the US to celebrate New Year's Eve, so it is only appropriate to do a font about wagering today. There are typically three outcomes when wagering. You can win, lose or possibly push. Today's font, Wager BRK , comes in three flavors. Those are normal, won and lost. Are you hearing the sound of slot machines dinging...
    • Thu, Dec 29 2011

Convert Outlines to Objects

I don't know how often you refer to our CorelDRAW X5 Unleashed Multimedia Training DVDs , but I do it quite often. There is just no way I can remember everything included. As I was going over some thing yesterday, I was reminded of the important of converting outlines to objects. This is done by selecting Arrange | Convert Outline to Object or Ctrl + Shift + Q . The most obvious use is for those who have to cut or...
    • Wed, Dec 28 2011

OCZ Technology RevoDrive Hybrid 1 TB Solid State Drive

I've talked at length about various SSD (solid state drives) hard drives in previous posts and even included one in my Dream Computer . The upside is they are lightning fast. On the downside, they can be expensive and have limited storage space. Today I want to introduce you to the OCZ Technology RevoDrive Hybrid 1 TB Solid State Drive . This drive combines the flash memory of a SSD drive with a traditional mechanical...
    • Tue, Dec 27 2011

CorelDRAW X5 Unleashed Series of Multimedia DVDs

Over the past eighteen months, I have featured almost all of the individual lessons contained in CorelDRAW X5 Unleashed , CorelDRAW X5 Unleashed Advanced Topics and Corel PHOTO-PAINT X5 Unleashed . The few lessons that haven't been featured individually are highly dependent on links to other lessons and are most valuable when purchased as part of the DVD rather than individually. While we do offer the lessons and...
    • Mon, Dec 26 2011

Painting of Historical Figures

Most of us are in the business of creating or at least working with art. So today I wanted to share a really cool painting of historical figures with you. In addition to being a great painting, it is loaded with hyperlinks. Just click on a person in the painting and you'll be taken to a page describing them on Wikipedia. I'll apologize in advance for all the time you spend looking at the painting and learning...
    • Sun, Dec 25 2011

Merry Christmas From Graphics Unleashed

Here it is Christmas morning and I'm writing a blog post. Don't worry, I'm not actually writing this on Christmas morning. But I am reminded of how each year it is a special day in a unique way. Last year I wasn't able to be with my family as I was hiking the Inca Trail to Macchu Picchu. The diverse group of people from around the world became family during that memorable journey and that made for a great...
    • Sat, Dec 24 2011

PowerMenu Gives More Choices in Windows Menus

All of your software has a Windows Control Menu associated with it. It typically includes options like Close, Maximize, Move, Size, Minimize, etc. All useful choices, but it is somewhat limited. PowerMenu adds even more choices including Priority, Transparency, Always On Top and Minimize To Tray. Note that it doesn't list Windows 7 as being supported so you'd be installing at your own risk.
    • Thu, Dec 22 2011

2011: The Year in Pictures

Each year, I like to perform a retrospective on my photography from the last twelve months. Because of my geeky nature, I like to perform a cursory statistical analysis of what I shot and contrast that to what has gone before. The pictures chosen are picked by month and typically represent a favorite image to [...]
    • Wed, Dec 21 2011

Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about the Kindle Fire tablet and pondered if it would be the first tablet I owned. Because of its price, it certainly is enticing. Yet the smaller screen and some of the limitations of Amazon's interface would be compromises for my needs. For those who read ebooks or watch a lot of online video, it is a great choice. That just isn't something I do much. Another powerful contender...
    • Tue, Dec 20 2011

Automating Corel PHOTO-PAINT

To really get the best productivity out of Corel PHOTO-PAINT, you'll want to use scripts and/or macros to automate common tasks. Corel PHOTO-PAINT X5 Unleashed Lesson 11 shows you how easy it is to record your own scripts that can be used over and over. You'll also learn how to edit scripts and batch process them on many files. You get a 9-page PDF containing the lesson and more than thirteen minutes of tutorial...
    • Mon, Dec 19 2011

Free Set of Christmas Labels in Vector

In this freebie you will find a set of 4 Christmas labels. Click “Continue Reading” to find out more: (...)Read the rest of Free Set of Christmas Labels in Vector (137 words) © Anastasiia Kucherenko for Anastasiia Ku, 2011. | Permalink | No comment | Post tags: christmas, download, eps, free, Label, vector, xmas
    • Mon, Dec 19 2011

Total Eclipse of the Moon

Just recently there was a total eclipse of the moon. With any eclipse, it can only be seen well in certain locations. For example, this one wasn't fully visible in the Southern Hemisphere. I was in the Andes for the previous eclipse and didn't get to enjoy it. This time I got the full experience from beginning to end. Pardon me while I put on the headphones and listen to Pink Floyd's Eclipse . Ah, back to...
    • Mon, Dec 19 2011

Canon doesnt create proper scanner drivers for 64 bit software – they dont care

If you have thoughts of buying a new scanner from Canon, who claim in their advertizing & support driver download pages, it being Windows 7, 64 bit driver, sorry is not entirely true.  You may very well be heavily dissapointed. Why? Well its the 64 bit TWAIN driver Canon dont support. If you have a 64 bit computer, using Windows 7, 64 bit, (very common these days) you  wont be able to scann anything via...
    • Sun, Dec 18 2011

Road Signs Unleashed Volume 1

Do your designs need to point people in the right direction or warn them of a problem ahead? Our new Road Signs Unleashed Volume 1 collection has 65CorelDRAW graphics of popular road signs. Each of the files has been keyworded so you can easily search using ROMCat or Corel CONNECT. Files are provided in both CorelDRAW 9 and CorelDRAW X5 format so all users (who have upgraded in the past ten years) have a file they can...
    • Sat, Dec 17 2011

Easy Thumbnails

Not too long ago I got a question from a loyal reader asking for an easy way to downsample a batch of images to a specified size. This can certainly be done in Corel PHOTO-PAINT and is a task I describe in Corel PHOTO-PAINT X5 Unleashed . In fact, I provide the scripts necessary to do it. It can also be done quite easily in Irfanview , one of my favorite freebie utilities for working with bitmaps. Today's utility...
    • Fri, Dec 16 2011

Creating Knitted Pattern in CorelDRAW

In this post I will tell you how to easity create nordic knitted pattern in CorelDRAW. Find out more at a jump: (...)Read the rest of Creating Knitted Pattern in CorelDRAW (209 words) © Anastasiia Kucherenko for Anastasiia Ku, 2011. | Permalink | No comment | Post tags: CorelDRAW, jumper, knit, nordic, pattern, scandinavian, sweater, [...]
    • Thu, Dec 15 2011

The Magic Weld Button

I've been editing some artwork lately that was very poorly created. As I work through it, I sometimes find a group of a bunch of objects where it should be one object. Luckily there is an easy way to fix these objects....the magic Weld key. Those of you who have a good grasp of CorelDRAW are aware that the Weld button appears on the Property Bar when multiple objects are selected. There are times I want to Weld just...
    • Wed, Dec 14 2011

Inspire Your Inner Designer With a Classic Lava Lamp

I was sitting in the chair getting my hair cut the other day as music from various time periods played in the background. One of them took me back to my childhood and it got me thinking about a lava lamp we had. No, the song had nothing to do with a lava lamp so I'm not sure why I thought about it. In previous weeks, I've shared some cool electronic gadgets that could be a nice gift for yourself or others. Today...
    • Tue, Dec 13 2011

Fun With Digital Photos

You've mastered techniques for making your photos look great, but there are still a lot of other fun effects you can apply. This can easily be done with Corel PHOTO-PAINT and it is included with the CorelDRAW Graphics Suite so you've already got it installed. Corel PHOTO-PAINT X5 Unleashed Lesson 10 shows you some of the really cool effects included with Corel PHOTO-PAINT and how to apply them. You get a 10-page...
    • Mon, Dec 12 2011

Holiday Print–Special Offering

Wind-blown Relic 11×14 – Metallic Print – Signed – $ 59.00 US* I am offering the metallic print Wind-blown Relic in an 11×14 inch form factor as my holiday offering this year. It makes a great gift for the nostalgic, car buff, black and white fine art lover or just about anyone. This car sits [...]
    • Mon, Dec 12 2011

Take a Free Trip to the Sistine Chapel

I've been lucky enough to visit the Sistine Chapel in person on two different occasions. Standing inside the chapel and experiencing the amazing artwork is truly breathtaking. The biggest downside is that you share with experience with hundreds of other people at the same time. While visitors are asked to be silent, it just doesn't happen. Getting close to the artwork is extremely difficult and even capturing...
    • Sun, Dec 11 2011

Fruit Unleashed Volume 1

Do you need to add a little more digital fruit to your design diet? Check out Fruit Unleashed Volume 1 for 90 CorelDRAW graphics of fruit. Each of the files has been keyworded so you can easily search using ROMCat or Corel CONNECT. Files are provided in both CorelDRAW 9 and CorelDRAW X5 format so all users (who have upgraded in the past ten years) have a file they can use. The CorelDRAW X5 files support more keywords...
    • Sun, Dec 11 2011

13 Places Every Landscape Photographer Should See Before They Die

I'm always amazed at all the cool places in Arizona. That really hit home when I read a recent piece by Scott Bourne titled 13 Places Every Landscape Photographer Should See Before They Die . He lists his thirteen best and four of them are here in Arizona. I didn't see a single one on his list that I would dispute, though I could certainly list a few of my favorites. All of his choices were in the United States...