The team at Corel is hard at work on the first Service Pack for CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5. In addition to answering to the main feedback we have receive since the launch of X5, we will be adding a few new things to this release. One of the extras included with Service Pack 1 that we will release over the summer (sorry, I cannot give a firm date) is a great enhancement to Corel CONNECT. As you know, Corel CONNECT is a new application that was introduced with X5 to enable you to find the different graphical components that you want to use in your designs. With the version of CONNECT we shipped at launch, you had the option to search your local hard drive, a local network as well as the DVD that came with CorelDRAW Graphics Suite. With the version that will be included with Service Pack 1, we will be extending the concept of "searching for the stuff you want to use in your designs" to the next level by adding the capability to search online sites as well. Instead of typing long explanations, here is a small video to show it (it is available in HD on YouTube):

With Corel CONNECT included in Service Pack 1, we will be adding the integration to search three major online photo providers: Flickr (only for creative commons content), Fotolia and iStockPhoto. We are looking at additional services that you would like us to integrate with Corel CONNECT in the future, and I will follow-up with you once the Service Pack 1 has been released to get your feedback and better understand the services you would like to have added.

• Well, SP1 cannot come soon enough.

I purchased X5 a week ago and have already gone back to X3.

X5 continuously shuts down when scrolling with the mouse.

Using Auto-centering in Powerclip doesn't center.

Switching from Enhanced view has to be done manually instead of using Shift+F9, and when shifting back it switches to Normal instead of Enhanced.

Selecting and shifting items has a lag.

The interface (skin) should return back to that in X3. It's as if the icons have been changed just for change sake without improving them.

Saving drawings increases file size 3 times.

Shadow effect from X3 files to X5 is very pixely.

Apart from that I don't have anything to complain about.

• I've used coreldraw since v3 in my advertising business.  X5 has been a mess for me as well

I was using X4 in a 32bit xp system with great results...I recently purchased a new system for my business: (Windows 7, 64bit, Fastest Intel 6 core processor, 12 gig of ram the works) and also upgraded to CorelDrawX5.  What a disappointment!  I'm wondering why I shelled out $4,500 for a new system and new software when X4 ran so nicely on the old 32bit xp!

I'll forward my concerns to support....

• When I use X5 with my Epson 4800 printer, and printing labels, the driver gets changed to Manual Feed. I am unable to Manual Feed sheets of labels. I go back and change the printer options in both places and the same thing happens. I get an error message on the monitor and a Red Error light on the printer. All the other printing using X5 and the Epson 4800 is notmal. Apparently the selection of the Avery Label option is insisting on the Manual Feed thing for my Epson 4800.

Any assistance appreciated.

Bob  AZ

• I just posted another entry in my blog with some more insights into SP1 regarding the upcoming fixes and enhancements: coreldraw.com/.../more-info-about-x5-service-pack-1.aspx

Please make sure to do the full reporting when you encounter a problem on Windows 7 as the information collected is very helpful for Corel to identify the problems.

• Has SP1 been released to the beta tester community?