• Sun, Aug 31 2008

Sunday Stock: Digital Design Ware

We have added a wide variety of clip art, textures, templates and more to the Graphics Unleashed Web site this week. This artwork is geared towards those in the sign and vehicle wrap industries, but it can certainly be useful to other artists as well. Probably the coolest feature is taking a two-dimensional template for a vehicle wrap and turning it into a 3D rendering of the finished wrap with only a few clicks. Typically...
    • Sat, Aug 30 2008

Behind the Shot: Flashing Butterflies

The waning days of the butterfly exhibit at the Minnesota Zoo prompted me to go out and do a little end-of-season butterfly photography.  There was a tough day waiting for me as I was faced with the dreaded mile-high-blue sky. In addition, the exhibit overflowed with last-minute patrons hurrying to see the ragged shreds of the exhibit before it closes on September 1. Those of you who follow my writings know that I have...
    • Sat, Aug 30 2008

Weekend Widget: True BoxShot

There is no doubt you've seen cool three-dimensional product shots on Web sites or in printed catalogs. You've probably wondered how they were created. Today's pick is True BoxShot and it makes the process incredibly easy. The box shot shown at right is a product of the software. In reality there is no box as it is downloadable software. So that you can go through the process yourself, download a trial version...
    • Fri, Aug 29 2008

Coloring areas with flexibility

I recently had an interesting challenge at one of the print shops I freelance at. The client provided an PDF file of some lots for sale. They wanted to use it in their sales materials to indicated the status of specific lots. Since the lots themselves were about a half millions dollars each, it was important that communication was clear. Yep – that's the price for the dirt only – welcome to Calgary. :-P I exported...
    • Fri, Aug 29 2008

I met Bob & Dan from Flagstaff in Stockholm

How odd is this. Fun, but whats the odds for this. For those who dont know, Stockholm is the capital of Sweden, in Europe (Land of the historical vikings) and Flagstaff a nice but smaller town in Arizona, USA. Beutiful landscape, worth a visit. It takes approximatly 20-24 hours with longdistance and changes with domestic airlines, and car from Flagstaff to Phoenix, to go door to door from Falgstaff to Stockholm, Sweden...
    • Fri, Aug 29 2008

Font Friday: Verzierte Schwabacher

Today's font is a recreation of a scanned blackletter font named Verzierte Schwabacher. That's German for Schwabacher Handtooled. It was originally drawn by Carl Kloberg in 1891. You can download it for free . No readme file was included regarding its usage. To start the download, click on either of the samples shown on the page. Each of them will give you a different re-creation of the original font. You can...
    • Thu, Aug 28 2008

Get Free Sports and Mascots Clip Art

Digital Art Solutions is running an amazing back to school special on their Sports and Mascots Clip Art. If you buy Sports and Mascots 2 , you also get the Sports and Mascots 1 collection for free! The offer will only last for a short time so don't hesitate or you might miss out. There are two ways to take advantage of the deal. You can call (800) 959-7627 to place your order. Make sure to use promotional code B2S...
    • Thu, Aug 28 2008

Delete a point on Photo-PAINT X4's Tone Curve line

Before, I'd drag it right off the line (like in PP X3). In X4, this "old delete method" is gone , but new one appears. New Way: Select a point with the mouse and delete it with your keyboard's Delete key.
    • Thu, Aug 28 2008

The new book direct from the printer

Today I received my reference samples of the actual book "Spelet" (The Game). Here placed on a café table, shot with a simple mobile phone camera, earlier today. Sorry for the bad camera. Its always nice to get book samples from the publisher. Like getting a nice chocolate bar from the candy store. This was a very nice book job. A nice publisher, editor and writer. Basically everything was nice. Stefan Lindblad...
    • Thu, Aug 28 2008

Thursday Tip: Anti-Virus Pros and Cons

Today's post is somewhat of a hybrid post. You'll certainly get a tip, but it also has some software suggestions so it could also fall into the weekend widget category. I often see questions from users who either have trouble installing software or installing a patch or service pack. Of course most of the questions I see are in regard to CorelDRAW, but they also apply to most any other software. Let me make this...
    • Wed, Aug 27 2008

X4 - some PDF presets discard live drop shadows

Hello, If you use drop shadows in your designs, note that Coreldraw X4's PDF engine will not include them in the final PDF, depending on the PDF preset. 1. Load shadow.cdr in X4. 2. Publish to PDF - choose PDF for document distribution preset. 3. Look at PDF, shadow not there.. Sigh.. one more reason to use the Sancho Drop Shadow macro ...
    • Wed, Aug 27 2008

Refreshing CorelDRAW's screen

I've heard of people closing and reopening files (and even Draw itself) again and again, just to redraw the screen . That's downright crazy. Here's a public service announcement to let all users know about CTRL + W . It redraws the screen, clearing away screen glitches and other anomalies. This works for all CorelDRAW versions. For many users, CorelDRAW X4 has more refresh problems than other versions. I lamented...
    • Wed, Aug 27 2008

Hump Day Hardware: Sound Cards

While we are all in the world of computer graphics, the projects we tackle every day can vary widely. Today I'm going to cover a product category that is vitally important to some of you and it probably isn't terribly useful for others. We're going to talk about sound cards. Those of you working on multimedia projects will find a good sound card to be an important component of your system. Others just want...
    • Tue, Aug 26 2008

Tutorial Tuesday: Glossy Lettering

I got an e-mail from someone today wanting to learn a number of different things in CorelDRAW. One of the desired techniques was "enhanced lettering". Certainly that can take a number of different forms depending on a user's needs. Today's tutorial will teach you how to create Glossy Lettering and it definitely qualifies as "enhanced" to me. Below is an example of what you can create. Just...
    • Mon, Aug 25 2008

A New Buyer for Corel?

Last week I told you that Corel Holdings had withdrawn their offer to purchase all outstanding shares of Corel Corporation. Well, it seems as if the offer was withdrawn because at least one other interested buyer is out there . Go ahead and read the article. You'll probably ask the same question as everyone else I've talked with. Who is it? I certainly have no inside information so I can only guess at who it might...
    • Mon, Aug 25 2008

Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the 'Screen'

As promised here is an image editing tip regarding post production of fireworks photography.  It doesn't matter which image editing software you use for this technique as most major pixel pushers can accomplish this task. For my example today, I am using Corel PhotoPaint . I will provide a glossary for the PSP folks and the Adobe inclined. Above is a shell from a competition at the PGI Convention in Gillette, Wyoming...
    • Mon, Aug 25 2008

Macro Monday: PP Macro Collection

Typically I provide you information about a single macro each Monday. Today I'm going to link to a whole collection of macros for Corel PHOTO-PAINT X3 and X4. James Aswell is one of the most prolific writers of macros for Corel PHOTO-PAINT. He has put together a collection of some of the most useful macros in a single GMS file. It is appropriately titled PP Macro Collection and can be downloaded for free. It includes...
    • Sun, Aug 24 2008

Sunday Stock: Xerox Templates

Sometimes you can find templates without even looking. I recently got a promotion from Xerox telling me about a new printer. One of the rewards for replying to their promotion is that you can download some templates. The good news is that you don't even have to reply to the offer to download the templates . You'll find templates for Business Cards, Postcards and Letterhead stored in PDF format. They are already...
    • Sat, Aug 23 2008

Weekend Widget: @icon sushi

A common question I hear from users is how to use CorelDRAW and/or Corel PHOTO-PAINT to create icons, specifically in the ICO format. Yes, there is an ICO export filter. Unfortunately it probably won't do what you desire. We need to use a helper application to do it right. My suggest is that you export from CorelDRAW or Corel PHOTO-PAINT as a PNG file. If you want the icon to have transparency, make sure to include...
    • Fri, Aug 22 2008

Font Friday: Kegger Collegiate

It is back to school time so what better time to talk about a slab-serif athletic font. These fonts are especially important for anyone creating garments, signs or awards for school athletic teams. Our font today is Kegger Collegiate and it comes with what they call a "recreational use license". That means you can use it free for personal use, but not for commercial use. Read the included license agreement for...
    • Thu, Aug 21 2008

Thursday Tip: Tint Your Fills and Outlines

Yesterday's post was really long, so I'm going to keep today's post really short. That's just fine as this tip gives you a lot of bang for your buck. You've filled an object in CorelDRAW with a solid color. The color looks good, but may be wish it was a little darker or a little lighter or had more yellow in it. No problem. With the object selected, hold down the Ctrl key and click on a color in the...
    • Wed, Aug 20 2008

New book "The Game", my illustrations

The new book "The game" (Spelet in Swedish) by KG Johansson, published by Hegas publishing have just been released. Click here to be taken directly to the book>> I made the cover, both layout & design, idea and the illustration itself. As well as the other full page size additional 7 illustrations in B&W inside the book. A total of 8 illustration and cover design. It was a real fun assignment....
    • Wed, Aug 20 2008

Fireworks Gallery is Live!

Aerial Burst at the PGI Convention Greetings all. As I promised in my previous article, here are some preliminary images from the PGI Fireworks Convention in Gillette, WY from mid-August. The link to the gallery is here . As you can see from looking at the images, I approach Fireworks photography from much the same angle as I do my waterfalls. Long Exposures and flowing colors are the rule.  I tend to like the exposures...
    • Wed, Aug 20 2008

Hump Day Hardware: Graphics Tablets

When you were learning to draw as a kid, did your parents hand you a crayon or a bar of soap? I think most of you learned with a crayon and yet there are a large number of people who attempt to draw on their computer with a bar of soap otherwise known as a mouse. Today we're goint to talk about graphics tablets. With a tablet, you use a pen (or a mouse) on the tablet's surface as a replacement for your traditional...
    • Tue, Aug 19 2008

Tutorial Tuesday: Website Magazine

Instead of telling you about a single tutorial today, I'm going to tell you about a magazine that you can get for free that will provide you a regular source of information. Website Magazine caters to those in the business of running a Web site. I've been receiving it since its inception and there are always a few articles of interest to me. Many of you have probably created a graphic for a Web site and it is...