• Sun, Feb 28 2010

New illustrations to Boot Camp Unleashed Productions

I am very happy to say that I got to do the new illustrations for Foster D. Coburn IIIĀ“s Graphics Unleashed Productions famous Boot Camps. The " CorelDRAW Unleashed Training Boot Camp ". And its especially fun to know it came at the same time as the release of CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5 . It was very fun to make these two new caracters, and especially fun to do them considering that when I started out learning...
    • Sat, Feb 27 2010

Simulated Painting Effect

A user asked me: "I've seen some stunning work in the community, and at present I am trying to outline a photo to turn it into a digital painting using the Bezier Tool in CorelDRAW. Am I doing this correctly, or am I going about it the wrong way?" To make a photo look like a painting, I'd use PHOTO-PAINT (not CorelDRAW). There are many excellent filters to try in this regard. Be sure to experiment with...
    • Sat, Feb 27 2010

Utilities Bundled with CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5

We all know about the main components of CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5 . So this post isn't about CorelDRAW, Corel PHOTO-PAINT, Corel PowerTRACE or Corel CONNECT. I'm going to talk about some of the "bundled" add-ons that come with CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5. We'll start with BenVista PhotoZoom Pro 2. It is an export plug-in for enlarging bitmaps with minimal loss of quality. If you have a lousy photo...
    • Fri, Feb 26 2010

Wildlife and Fill-flash

Greetings all. I have returned from my 16-day Costa Rica expedition with Worldesigns Photo Tours and am ready to begin blogging again. The lack of internet access while in Costa Rica means that I have many blog notions piled up and you should be seeing regular posts from me until I leave again for Costa [...]
    • Fri, Feb 26 2010

Premium Fonts Supplied with CorelDRAW X5 Boxed Version

CorelDRAW has always been known for supplying a large number of fonts and CorelDRAW X5 continues that tradition. A few days ago I posted the list of fonts included with CorelDRAW X5 . What you won't find on that list are the "premium fonts" that are new to CorelDRAW X5. You will only get the premium fonts if you buy the boxed version and they are installed separately from all other fonts. Let's back...
    • Thu, Feb 25 2010

Graphics Unleashed Media Marketplace Surpasses 1000 Products

It was just over a year ago that the Graphics Unleashed Media Marketplace was launched. Now there are more than 1000 products available. Yes, many of them have a cost associated with them. Yet many of the products sell for $10 or less. There are also nearly 100 products that are completely free. If you haven't looked at Media Marketplace recently, give it a look again. Before this time next year we fully expect that...
    • Thu, Feb 25 2010

Updates on Purchasing CorelDRAW X5

Many of you have taken advantage of the coupon code I've provided in previous posts and in the Graphics Unleashed Newsletter . I was informed this morning that the code to save 10% is only valid in the US and Canada store. Specifically, it will not work in the UK store. This is completely beyond my control so I'm sorry to those of you outside of North America. In fact it came as a surprise to the Corel folks who...
    • Thu, Feb 25 2010

Importing AI, EPS and PDF with CorelDRAW X5

I feel that one of the biggest reasons to upgrade to each new version of CorelDRAW is to get the latest and greatest import and export filters. Today I'm going to focus on three import formats that users feel are extremely important and talk about some of the changes that have been made in CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5 . AI Files: CorelDRAW X4 could import files from Adobe Illustrator CS3 and earlier. But it could not...
    • Wed, Feb 24 2010

Color Management: CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5

One of the biggest changes Corel made to CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5 was in the color management engine. David Milisock had compiled an ebook dedicated to the subject that is a must-read for anyone interested in getting the best color from CorelDRAW X5. Color Management: CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5 is available for immediate purchase and download from David.
    • Wed, Feb 24 2010

Article to CorelDRAW X5 - "Insights from the Experts"

During the summer of 2009 I was asked by Corel Corporation , and was commissioned to write a longer article with tutorial elements. Corel Corp.. asked what I would like to write about, and they liked my proposal on how to do an illustration and a book cover from start to finish, from the customer calls and the book is in one's hand. The article is a 'Insights from the Experts" , a printed book that comes...
    • Wed, Feb 24 2010

My Sooper Dooper "Must Have" Macros V1 has some cool updates. I decided to enhance the Gimme Numbers macro with some extra buttons: I also sped up the code and it offers a single undo. The other change was was more significant. We now have a dialog box with some new options (and other behind-the-scenes code optimizations): If you've purchased these before, log into your account and re-download from your...
    • Wed, Feb 24 2010

Cool updates for macro series

My Sooper Dooper "Must Have" Macros V1 package has some cool updates. I decided to enhance the Gimme Numbers macro with some extra buttons: I also sped up the code and it offers a single undo. The other change was was more significant. We now have a dialog box with some new options (and other behind-the-scenes code optimizations): If you've purchased these before, log into your account and re-download from...
    • Wed, Feb 24 2010

CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5 Hardware Requirements

Now that CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5 has been released, I've been bombarded by questions via phone and e-mail. As today is our designated "hardware" day for the blog, I'm going to focus on answering some questions related to the hardware requirements for CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5. If you have more questions on today's topic, please post as a comment to the blog rather than e-mailing me. That way...
    • Tue, Feb 23 2010

February 23 Graphics Unleashed Newsletter is Now Available

The February 23, 2010 edition of the Graphics Unleashed Newsletter is now available for reading online and downloading as a PDF file. This edition is loaded with information on CorelDRAW X5 as well as other valuable information.
    • Tue, Feb 23 2010

CorelDRAW X5 Unleashed In The Works

Many of you have utilized the previous CorelDRAW Unleashed books to become more proficient in CorelDRAW. I've been hard at work on the next series of CorelDRAW Unleashed books to help you get the most out of CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5. Did you catch my wording? I said a series of books. There will be a total of three books in the series. CorelDRAW X5 Unleashed will cover the features that all users need to understand...
    • Tue, Feb 23 2010

CorelDRAW X5 Font List Posted

A complete list of the fonts supplied with CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5 has been posted. This list contains both the name of the font and the location/name of the file on the CorelDRAW X5 DVD-ROM. Remember, the full set of fonts is only supplied with the boxed version of CorelDRAW X5 . The new release is available for pre-order so make sure to get your copy on order.
    • Tue, Feb 23 2010

ROMCat Catalog for CorelDRAW X5 Available for Immediate Free Download

If you are already using ROMCat 6.0 , it still works just great with artwork created in CorelDRAW X5. What you might want to do is download the catalog for the CorelDRAW X5 clip art collection . For those of you not already familiar with ROMCat, visit the ROMCat home page to learn more about how it works and download a copy for yourself.
    • Tue, Feb 23 2010

CorelDRAW X5 Announced

Corel has announced the release of CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5. All of the details can be found in the press release . A trial version of the new release is available for download or you can simply pre-order the new release. If you purchase from Corel , you can receive the download version immediately and the boxed version (with all of the extra content) will be shipped to you in March. Please note that the links provided...
    • Mon, Feb 22 2010

John-Dan Key's Random Macro

If you have a bunch of shapes on screen that all have the same properties, you may not be getting the effect you desire. What if you could select all those shapes and have them move randomly by a small amount. Or maybe you want the objects to have a random color assigned. That's exactly the kinds of things you can do with John-Dan Key's Random Macro . Give it a look as I think you'll find it quite useful.
    • Sun, Feb 21 2010

Textures Unleashed Volume 3: Stone

The third volume of Textures Unleashed, Stone, is complete and it is filled with 133 different stone textures. Each of the textures is provided in sizes from 256x256 pixels up to 2048x2048 pixels. So whether you're designing for the Web or a vehicle wrap, you'll find the perfect size for your project. You can see all of the textures included in this package at the Textures Unleashed home page , including the downloading...
    • Sun, Feb 21 2010

A Real Man

Our friends at Rocket City Shirts have been preparing an entire series of faith themed images and A Real Man is the first of the series to be available. Graphics are included for both the front and back of a shirt. Those of you using a digital garment printer will find a composite image included while those screen printing will find pre-separated artwork along with suggested colors. Everything is provided as vector CorelDRAW...
    • Sat, Feb 20 2010

CPU-Z Processor Information Utility

I'm sure none of you really think you need to know that much about the processor in your computer. You might even brush off this post because you don't feel you need to know much. If that's the way you feel, I'm going to ask you a very simple question. Does the processor in your computer support the SSE2 instruction set? I bet very few of you even know what that means and even fewer know if their processor...
    • Fri, Feb 19 2010

Modius Frigid

Here in Arizona the weather has been absolutely beautiful the last week with temperatures around 80 degrees (that's 27 Celsius) each day. Yet when I turn on the television, I'm greeted with the visions of winter at the Olympics. Of course NBC won't show anything live to those of us in the Western half of the United States so I usually know the results before the event is shown. OK, enough digressing, let's...
    • Thu, Feb 18 2010

Quick Route to Windows Explorer

Often when I am helping a user solve a problem, I'll ask the user to open Windows Explorer. It always surprises me that so many users have no idea what I'm talking about. First, Windows Explorer is not the same as Internet Explorer. Maybe you know Windows Explorer as "My Computer" though it is called "Computer" on Windows Vista and doesn't even appear on the desktop in Windows 7. Yet there...
    • Thu, Feb 18 2010

Corel PHOTO-PAINT X4 shortcut keys list

A user named Jack Ross took some time to compile a list of shortcut keys. PHOTO-PAINT has been able to export the list for some time, but often it imported poorly into Excel. So, he had to do some tweaking. I reformatted it to 8.5 x 11, and put in some gridlines. Then I created a PDF for you, so you don't even need Excel at all. click here to get it. The CorelDRAW shortcuts are here .