• Thu, Mar 31 2011

Excess Nodes Revisited

A few weeks ago I wrote a post about Clip Art and Excess Nodes . In the post, I talked about some of the problems you may face when artwork has too many nodes. A user sent me a file that showed me yet another node-related problem that I wanted to share. In this case, the user had artwork with a small number of objects. Each of the objects had an outline and they needed a hairline outline on the outside of the regular...
    • Thu, Mar 31 2011

I illustrated an article for Spiridonov.ru :)

Hello! Today, I saw some of my illustrations published on one of the popular Russian web-site, and got really really excited about that! I was very happy to partner up with Maxim Spiridonov to illustrate an article about most popular blogs on the Russian Internet! Yay!:) (...)Read the rest of I illustrated an article for [...]
    • Wed, Mar 30 2011

The "Best" Camera

After I posted last week about the new pocket camera I got , I got an e-mail asking me what was the "best" camera to get. I'm guessing that this person missed the It Doesn't Work post about providing enough information to get the desired answer. In this case, there was no other information to help me answer the question. So I thought I would post some criteria for finding the best camera for your own...
    • Tue, Mar 29 2011

Page Setup and Labels in CorelDRAW

Getting the right page setup is an important aspect of creating files in CorelDRAW. This becomes even more important when you are designing labels. Lesson 35 of CorelDRAW X5 Unleashed will teach you how to get the settings on your pages just right. You'll also learn about the Page Sorter that makes it easy to move pages around in your file. You get an 8-page PDF as well as more than 10 minutes of tutorial videos....
    • Mon, Mar 28 2011

Prop It Up–Take Your Images to Another Level

Studio Photography is too often the realm of pristine yards of seamless paper (white or black) laid out in a wrinkle-free infinite horizon-styled manner. The unreal surface is punctuated with a beautiful model and lit with exquisite detail.  Make-up artists and hair stylists are often employed. Sometimes you even bring in a wardrobe stylist.  All [...]
    • Mon, Mar 28 2011

File Converter

Sometimes it is the thing right in front of our face that we forget to see. That is often the case with some of the great macros supplied with CorelDRAW. One I have been really guilty of overlooking is the File Converter. It has been in the box for many versions now and yet I rarely use it. Lately I've used it more and I can really appreciate its power. In short, you can batch convert files from one format to another...
    • Mon, Mar 28 2011

Interview with Dzhamiliya Ermakova (aka Mubai)

Today I am very excited to interview Dzhamiliya Ermakova (aka Mubai), a very popular iStock illustrator, the winner of the February challenge on iStock, an artist with a lively style and just a very nice person! In this interview Dzhamiliya will tell us about her artistic development and will share some of the useful tips [...]
    • Sun, Mar 27 2011

GDG Decal Duplicates Plus is released

This macro is intended for those who print decals, labels, or other items in quantity. The first feature can duplicate a selection as many times as needed to fit it within a desired media space. It can rotate it to fit more as to prevent a large amount of wasted media. The macro performs this function very fast, even with very complex designs. The second feature is for cost calculation. Set a price for an amount of media...
    • Sun, Mar 27 2011

CorelDRAW Files for iPhone App Developers

Corel recently released the CorelDRAW.com app for the iPhone . The app makes it easier for iPhone users to interact with the CorelDRAW.com Web site. I don't have an iPhone and I typically interact with the site via a mailreader so it isn't something of interest to me. Now if they come out with an Android app, I'd give it a look! What is probably more interesting to most users is a write-up showing how mock...
    • Fri, Mar 25 2011

Creating Paper Recycle Sign in CorelDRAW

In this post I will share a few tips with you of how to create a recycle sign in CorelDRAW.(...)Read the rest of Creating Paper Recycle Sign in CorelDRAW (420 words) © Anastasiia Kucherenko for Anastasiia Ku, 2011. | Permalink | No comment | Post tags: CorelDRAW, recycle, sign, tutorial, vector
    • Fri, Mar 25 2011

Acid Dreamer Font

Today's font is Acid Dreamer and I think I would categorize it as a grunge font. As you can see from the character sample at right, it has very rough edges. I immediately think of t-shirt designs where it could be useful, but I'm sure there are many other uses. Check it out and send me any samples of projects you've created with it.
    • Thu, Mar 24 2011

It Doesn't Work

Every single day I hear someone say "it doesn't work". It could be talking about something in CorelDRAW. It could be about a Web site. Heck, it could be about something that has nothing to do with computers. Many times it is a phone call or an e-mail to me. It also can be seen often in the support forums. I hate to break this news to you, but if that is all you have to say, it still isn't going to work...
    • Wed, Mar 23 2011

Flags, Stars and Labels, Oh my…

Programs to manage our images have a proliferation of tools with which we can rank, rate and identify our photographs. Sometimes it can be a little daunting keeping track of what the difference is in a 3-Star and a 4-Star image. What does a red label mean, a blue label, no label. I use Adobe Photoshop [...]
    • Wed, Mar 23 2011

Canon PowerShot SD4500 IS Digital Elph

I was at a charity event a few weeks ago and was trying to take a self-portrait with my pocket camera . All went well until I dropped it and the lens got a little crooked. Every time I turned it on, I got a lens error. So I either would have to send it in for repair or it was time to get a new camera. That could be buying the same model, or I could go ahead and get a different camera. Replacing with the same model wouldn't...
    • Tue, Mar 22 2011

Working With Tables in CorelDRAW

For those who need to add tabular information to their designs, Corel added Tables to CorelDRAW. Lesson 31 of CorelDRAW X5 Unleashed will teach you how to add, format and modify tables in CorelDRAW. You'll also learn all about the Table Preset Docker that makes formatting much easier. You get an 8-page PDF as well as more than 10 minutes of tutorial videos. An even better value is to get all 45 lessons, 567 pages...
    • Tue, Mar 22 2011

Filling a shape with other shapes

Usually when people think of the term "nesting", they think about birds the production term when aligning objects in a practical fashion for output While e-cut has an amazing powerful and affordable algorithm for doing the latter in CorelDRAW, I saw an interesting design challenge where I'd thought it might work. The design challenge: fill a shape or some text with other bones, but they can't touch....
    • Mon, Mar 21 2011

CADTool 4 Updated With New Features

There is a big difference between illustration software like CorelDRAW and CAD software like AutoCAD. Corel provides Corel DESIGNER Technical Suite as as more CAD-like experience for CorelDRAW users. Another way to bridge the gap is Alexander Penkin's CADTool 4 . This powerful macro brings a number of of new tools to CorelDRAW. I'll tell you about some of the features included, but I encourage you to go to the...
    • Sun, Mar 20 2011

What Do You Want in Clip Art?

I've had clip art on my mind a lot lately. There have even been a few others posting questions wondering if anyone uses the clip art Corel supplies. I'm sure the usage of clip art is something that is quite different for each user. For the sake of the question I'm asking, let's assume that you do use clip art. What I am trying to understand is what makes a clip art package most valuable to you. After reading...
    • Sun, Mar 20 2011

How to Create Glamourous Text in CorelDRAW

In this tutorial I will tell how to simply create a glamourous text in CorelDRAW. (...)Read the rest of How to Create Glamourous Text in CorelDRAW (483 words) © Anastasiia Kucherenko for Anastasiia Ku, 2011. | Permalink | No comment | Post tags: a, CorelDRAW, glamourous, text, tutorial
    • Sat, Mar 19 2011

Ditto Clipboard Manager

How many times a day do you use the Windows clipboard? If you are like most users, probably more than 100 times a day. Every time you use copy and paste, you are using the clipboard. The clipboard stores the last thing you copied. So what if you want to paste in something you put up there a few times back? That's where Ditto Clipboard Manager comes into play. It will save each item you put on the clipboard so that...
    • Sat, Mar 19 2011

Rebuilding a simple shape

Here's how I'd rebuild a shape:
    • Fri, Mar 18 2011

Steven Seagal Coming to Cave Creek, Are You?

Our next CorelDRAW Unleashed Training Boot Camp will be held April 7-9, 2011. Steven Seagal (action film star, producer, writer, martial artist, guitarist and a reserve deputy sheriff) will be in Cave Creek as the Grand Marshal of the Fiesta Days Parade . Why not come to Cave Creek and take your CorelDRAW and Corel PHOTO-PAINT skills to new heights? During the three days of CorelDRAW Unleashed Training Boot Camp , you...
    • Fri, Mar 18 2011

My Mail.ua Banners Won 4G USB-Stick:)

In October I participated in the banner contest for Mail.Ua – Ukrainian mail service. And I am really excited to find out that my banners were featured as “the best art-banners in the contest”. (...)Read the rest of My Mail.ua Banners Won 4G USB-Stick:) (99 words) © Anastasiia Kucherenko for Anastasiia Ku, 2011. | Permalink [...]
    • Fri, Mar 18 2011

Erin Go Bragh Font

I know I am probably a day late and a dollar short, but I thought I'd pick a St. Patrick's themed font. Erin Go Bragh font will bring back memories of green beer, corned beef and cabbage. I'm not sure if it is required or not, but maybe you should always set this font in green.
    • Fri, Mar 18 2011

Deleting segments of curves using the Shaping tool in CorelDRAW X5

In CorelDRAW X5, I learned the following from Hendrik, Corel Employee: "X5 allows you to delete curve segments (click on the segment while using shape edit tool (F10), hit the delete key). The shape must be a curve though."