PsiService_2.exe :(

am pretty annoyed that Corel finds it necessary to add AND run a service ALL the time in my computer without warning or consent of the user at the time of install in order to protect it's product.

After installation I found Protexis Licensing (PsiService_2.exe) set to run Automatically in services.msc, if this service is stopped Corel will no longer run and requests a reinstall.

It unnecessarily consumes resources and if every software developer decided to use this scheme no Ram would suffice as the service uses 2 Kb. It might not seem like a lot but if you add it to all the other junk it translates into your system taking a hit just to run this program

PaintShop Pro X2 does the same thing, that alone was reason enough for me to uninstall it and request a refund under the 30 day money back guarantee.

I certainly understand a developer's need to protect its product but to bog down precious system resources is not the way to go about it.

Parents
No Data
  • Although this topic is rather old I'd like to agree on all points mentioned.

This is unacceptable. A spyware program that runs all the time in the background using up valueable system ressources without me even knowing that it is installed (until searching for such services specifically) or what exacty it is doing!

It is not even possible to reactivate the service when needed. You would have to restart your machine every time you use Corel software.

No wonder piracy is so widestread. People are forced to when they want to run programs without such reprisals.

Children