Speech Bubbles - Balloons, if you will.. - CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X4 - CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X4 - CorelDRAW Community

Speech Bubbles - Balloons, if you will..

Can anyone tell me how I import a speech balloon - CorelDRAW X4 won't let me import one from the Extras\Content\Fonts\Symbols\TrueType\BALLOONS.TTF file

I want to place a balloon on a drawing then add text - anyone out there know how this is done..?

BTW - Noobsville roolz apply - so be precise..

19 Replies

• From the menu: Text->Insert Symbol. (Or press F11).

Since the balloon is a character within a font, you have to treat the balloon as a font symbol, and insert it as if you were inserting a text character, in your drawing.

• Peter, like Hugh explained, and as you can see from the link you referred to, the file is a ttf, font file.

You can either treat it like a piece of text..............or probably better in your case, open the Symbol's docker, find the balloon that you want and simple click and drag it onto your workspace.

It will then behave just like a graphic element.

Hope that helps.

Let us know if you need more help/clarification.

• In reply to ColorYourWorld:

That would be ideal - only one problem, the symbol doesn't appear in the Docker

- how do I import the Symbols info into the docker in the first place..Huh?

[edited by: Peter Spreadbury at 10:51 (GMT -5) on Fri, Jul 16 2010]
  • In reply to Peter Spreadbury:

As everyone has pointed out, it is a font. Install it as you would any
    other font, and then select that font in the insert character/symbol
    docker (the docker's name has changed over the years; I don;t have X4
    installed at the moment so no sure which it is in X4).

On 7/16/10 8:50 AM, Peter Spreadbury wrote:
    > That would be ideal - only one problem, the symbol doesn't appear in the
    > Docker
    >
    > - how do I import the Symbols info into the docker in the first place..Huh?

--
    Paul McGee
    St. Albert, Alberta, Canada

Let's see if I can explain visually.

First go to the "Text" box on the top and then select "Insert Symbol Character";

Find the Balloon font;

Click and drag the balloon of your choice (first box in my sample) onto your work area.

There you go.

• Just in case this helps... there is a tool right in Draw for making this type of balloon.  If you NEED the specific balloon that is in the TTF then this isn't a help.

Anyway, on the "Basic Shapes" flyout there is a "Callout Shapes" tool.  If you select that tool, there are additional options on the property bar.  Check out these screencaps:

Hope it helps

• In reply to Andrew:

- many thanks for the very useful insights - gosh I'm such a noob..!!Embarrassed

Don't worry -- we were all there once (and I still am learning something everyday).

while I'm here, I have another noobstyle question,

is there any way I can remove a drawing from the "Open Recent" list..?

- apart from deleting the drawing itself, that is..

Open 5 or 6 jobs and it will dwindle away from the list.

• In reply to Graewerld:

Hello, I am new to this forum and a newbie when it comes to Corel also..I am now facing this exact same issue, i have tried what you showed here But it doesn't seem to work for me. I know i didn't install all clipart on my computer when i initially installed Corel, so i don't know if this could be the reason for this... i am trying to import the image off of the CD but I'm having a hard time with this. Can someone PLEASE help me out.

The Image I'm trying to install is under: Extras/Content/Fonts/Symbols/True Type/TRACKS.TIF

Thank you!

• In reply to NADIA R:

NADIA R
    The Image I'm trying to install is under: Extras/Content/Fonts/Symbols/True Type/TRACKS.TIF

That is different from the case described above, because the symbol in this case is an image (TIF) and not a font.

• Use File > New to create an empty document if you do not currently have a document open.
    • Then from the menu, File > Import and choose the file, ie Extras/Content/Fonts/Symbols/True Type/TRACKS.TIF
    • Coreldraw should show a special cursor which lets you choose where the top left ot the image will appear.
    • Press enter to import it.

[edited by: harryLondon at 7:58 (GMT -5) on Sat, Aug 13 2011]
  • In reply to NADIA R:

Nadia,

I think you have a typo in the file name and you are indeed referring to a "TTF" file and not a "TIF" file. Those are fonts and you simply need to install the font to use the "art" inside of it.