Why won't X4 print to our new Bizhub printer but all other software does?

Good day. I am hoping that someone can help me. I am currently using X4 Graphics Suite (updated) on a PC running XP (service pack 3). Yesterday we received a new printer (Konica Minolta Bizhub C454e), and for some reason X4 (both DRAW as well as PhotoPaint) is unable to print to it (unless I tick "rasterize image" in the miscellaneous print options before printing). All other programs (Word, Publisher, Acrobat Reader, Outlook) print fine, but when printing from X4 the light on the printer comes on, showing that data is being received, but it doesn't progress further than that, which results in the printer having to be shut off and on to clear the printer memory of the job.

We have been using Bizhub printers for the last couple of years (last one was a Bizhub C451), so I was rather disappointed when this happened. I have tried downloading and installing different versions of the printer driver from Konica Minolta's website, but with still no success. I have played around a bit and have deduced that it could be the postscript driver, because A) when I go into the Advanced printer options and set "Postscript Pass Through" to DISABLE it prints from X4 (although the colours come out all wrong, plus it only wants to print plain 80g bond paper from the default tray, instead of the paper settings specified to the job), and B) the PCL driver for the printer does print, but the that driver doesn't give me a full colour printing option (only 2 colour printing).

I was hoping someone could advise me of a setting or something I have to change in order to be able to print as I have always done, as it is rather frustrating. Would REALLY appreciate it.

• Hello Riggidig; I think I would call the people that made the printer if the printer show up in the print dropdown.

George
  • I'm probably no help on the Bizhub front. Sounds like the end of file instruction or end of page instruction is either not being sent, or is not being interpreted correctly by the print driver. It can also happen when a piece of software is sending PostScript to a non-PS printer...or when the printer is expecting PS and not getting it. Another scenario can be the shear length of the printer name in Windows. Some applications have problems with long printer names.

Until such time as this is resolved, why not Publish to PDF and print from Acrobat or Reader? I don't have problems printing direct to my Xerox printers...but I still go to PDF and print from Acrobat.

Mike