Publish to pdf and file size

I publish files to pdf only as a proof sheet for our customers to review. The proof quality doesn't have to be the best. We don't print from pdf's anyway. I've been experimenting with different settings to get the smallest pdf file size possible. I've come to notice that CMYK is smaller than RGB. Seems kind of backwards to me but whatever. Trouble is most clients are happier seeing rgb colors in the pdf. All my pdf's are password protected whereby only allowing low res printing. I also set it to convert all fonts to curves. Once the pdf is created I open the pdf in Acrobat Pro and hit a corel macro to further reduce the size. This method usually takes a 450k file down below 200k.  If I use "document distribution" and only input the password parameters the same file is 300k and again reduce by Acrobat Pro, it goes down to 75k.

Anyone have any input as to what will make for the smallest file size? How about what acrobat pro does to further reduce the size? Be nice if I could skip that step altogether.

Keep in mind I don't have any problems with the process I use as it's all done with macros very quickly. Just seeking advice on how to reduce file size.