CorelDRAW and Illustrator ...

If one would like to have a true appreciation of CorelDRAW (any version), then spend some time using Adobe Illustrator (any version).

I free-lance doing illustrations for a major engineering magazine. The final file type has to be AI-EPS (CS3). I do the bulk of the drawing in CorelDRAW (now X4) and export the files to Illustrator. In Illustrator, I have to do things like add arrow heads (a specific arrow head number in AI is required). One area of comparison between the two programs would be something simple, like adding and/or changing an arrow head.

In Corel, select your line and all kinds of attribute options show up on the preferences bar above. Hey ... even if you don't see the arrow head you want, you can easily create one. So pretty much, that's it ... select the arrow head you want ... one or both ends, and that's all. If you want to get rid of the arrow head or change it, pull down the the little arrow head window(s) and do your thing.

In AI, after selecting your line, you must go up and pull down the EFFECTS window and then select STYLIZE-ARROWHEAD. A little docker pops up. Within it are two windows ... showing optional line ends. You get 27 different arrow heads to choose from. You CANNOT scroll by holding the mouse button down. You have to click each selection, one at a time. Okay, so you select an arrow head (number 11 in my case). You then have to hit the preview button to see which end of the line is going to show up. If you're arrow head is on the wrong end, then it's about 11 clicks backwards on the mouse to deselect the arrow head, and then another 11 clicks at the other window to select the right one.

Okay, now you have your arrow head. But wait! Now, they want arrow head number 9 instead of number 11. You CANNOT go through the initial process to change an arrow head. You have to to pull down WINDOW, then open the APPEARANCE docker. It is only here that you can access the arrow head dialogue to go ahead and make changes.

In summary, what it takes seconds to do in CorelDRAW can take substantially longer in AI. And I'm not just talking arrow heads ... just about ANY function in AI takes some doing. You can't (as far as I know) do all of the customization in AI as you can in Corel. Oh yes ... if you need to use the HELP function ... good luck! I pull my hair out trying to use HELP in AI.

If I sound a little biased, well, I probably am. I go by this "time is money" thing, so when you stack up the two programs, Corel gets me there a ton faster and with GREAT accuracy!!!

Yet, I still hear from my counterparts that AI is the truly professional program and Corel is really only a toy. NOT!

Well there you go ... after I spent the last several days working in Illustrator to do minor tasks, I felt it was time to VENT!

Thanks for listening,

Gary G.

Parents
  •  

Gary G. said:

If one would like to have a true appreciation of CorelDRAW (any version), then spend some time using Adobe Illustrator (any version).

I free-lance doing illustrations for a major engineering magazine. The final file type has to be AI-EPS (CS3). I do the bulk of the drawing in CorelDRAW (now X4) and export the files to Illustrator. In Illustrator, I have to do things like add arrow heads (a specific arrow head number in AI is required). One area of comparison between the two programs would be something simple, like adding and/or changing an arrow head.

In Corel, select your line and all kinds of attribute options show up on the preferences bar above. Hey ... even if you don't see the arrow head you want, you can easily create one. So pretty much, that's it ... select the arrow head you want ... one or both ends, and that's all. If you want to get rid of the arrow head or change it, pull down the the little arrow head window(s) and do your thing.

In AI, after selecting your line, you must go up and pull down the EFFECTS window and then select STYLIZE-ARROWHEAD. A little docker pops up. Within it are two windows ... showing optional line ends. You get 27 different arrow heads to choose from. You CANNOT scroll by holding the mouse button down. You have to click each selection, one at a time. Okay, so you select an arrow head (number 11 in my case). You then have to hit the preview button to see which end of the line is going to show up. If you're arrow head is on the wrong end, then it's about 11 clicks backwards on the mouse to deselect the arrow head, and then another 11 clicks at the other window to select the right one.

I wonder what version of Illustrator you're referring to.  I've never done this before, but I were going to do something like an arrowhead, I'd just use a brush.  However, I followed your instructions and I found that, like all Illustrator dialogs, there's a "Preview" box.  Check that box and you see your arrowheads.  There's a box for left and a box for right.  You'd have to try hard to put the arrowhead on the wrong side and have to go back and fix it.  I put arrowheads correctly, while previewing, then closed the dialog.  Then I opened up my brushes called arrows and I dropped plenty more brushes on it with a single click.  I do like Corel's way of doing this, but Illustrator isn't anything like you're describing.  And that appearance pallet is one of the more powerful things in Illustrator.  I'm using CS3 so maybe you're using some older version of Illustrator.

Gary G. said:
    Okay, now you have your arrow head. But wait! Now, they want arrow head number 9 instead of number 11. You CANNOT go through the initial process to change an arrow head. You have to to pull down WINDOW, then open the APPEARANCE docker. It is only here that you can access the arrow head dialogue to go ahead and make changes.

CS3 gives your a single click access to any pallet.  Appearance pallet, 1 click.  No pulling down of anything.  Also accessible via key command.

Gary G. said:
    In summary, what it takes seconds to do in CorelDRAW can take substantially longer in AI. And I'm not just talking arrow heads ... just about ANY function in AI takes some doing. You can't (as far as I know) do all of the customization in AI as you can in Corel. Oh yes ... if you need to use the HELP function ... good luck! I pull my hair out trying to use HELP in AI.

Well, your information is simply not accurate with regard to dealing with arrows although I really like Corel's way of making things certainly more simple and more obvious.  Corel is also far more serious with customization.  Illustrator is fine with customizing windows but key commands remains weak in CS4.  LOL  I've also found the help to be less than helpful in Illustrator and it's a rarity that I bothered to look up anything in Draw.  It's much more intuitive than Illustrator.  Still, you seem to have not so much experience with Illustrator.   Illustrator takes more time to learn than Corel Draw and if you use something like Draw first then Illustrator, you might find yourself frustrated.  You can point out a million things that each can do better than the other.  Most of the one way bashing from both sides is coming from people who have very little experience on the other side unfortunately.  With experience, there's plenty to be admired and desired on both sides.

Reply Children
No Data