how do I save transparent png from photopaint x4?

I have a cpt image that has a single object with transparency applied as a gradient from 100 to 0 via the interactive transparency tool. I would like to export this as a transparent png for web use. However, photopaint x4 doesn't seem to allow me to do this - I get a message that object(s) will be merged, and then no option to maintain the transparency.

My workaround is to save it as a psd from photopaint, open in photoshop, and then use photoshop's export for the web. But there must be a direct way to do it in x4, right?

Parents
  • Hello. I too was frustrated about saving real transparency for PNGs in PP. I found solution myself and didn't noticed anyone explained same tehnique in this topic. This requires no other software but Corel Photo Paint itself. I'll try to demonstrate step-by-step (in my example i use PP X3):

1. We have an object we want to save into real PNG transparency. The background is deleted and we see checkered background

(The object is zoomed by 200%)

2. We should create a copy of object and temporary hide original one (hiding is not neccesary)

3. Select a "Object Transparency Brush Tool" and set transparency level to 255 (max)

4. Make second object fully non-transparent with pre-selected "Object Transparency Brush Tool"

5. Combine second (visible) object with background. And get first one visible again

6. Create a mask from object and delete an object

Now you can see a mask on background. That's exactly what we need

7. Save PNG from "File->Save As". Do not forget to check "Masked Area" in "Transparency" options list

Here is result - a PNG with pure transparency achived by this tehnique

And wrong result made by PP

Here is a test showing correct transparency (achived by this tehnique) and wrong one (which is generated by PP) by placing image on various backgrounds.

Reply Children