X5 experiences -crash of X5 Photopaint, out of memory error and one old problem fixed

X5 Photopaint has crashed for me and the error seems to be repeatable.  In the past I was able to use the techniques in Ctein's book on digital restoration to fix old photos with silver tarnish and wanted to refresh my memory on this technique. I was editing one of his samples, a 28.7 Mb 48 bit .tif file. I was making various adjustments with the tone curves, desaturation, when Photopaint crashed.  The following info was in the debug message.  

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: CorelPP.exe

Application Version: 15.0.0.486

Application Timestamp: 4b5e702e

Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdb3b

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 0002e29b

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 462f

Additional Information 2: 462f57ec7ef6584ad05b37264e37f769

Additional Information 3: f0d6

Additional Information 4: f0d68275a997e7dbc801694b781bcb40

Even more problematic was the fact that after restarting X5 I could not work with ANY images.  Each time I tried, I would get the following pop-up message. "This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose Switch To to activate the busy program and correct the problem." with options provided to "Switch to" or "Retry".  Neither was effective, and the only way I could recover was to use the Windows task manager to kill Photopaint. After rebooting, I could restart Photopaint but editing the same sample image in a similar manner the failure(s) occurred again.  

I also have had several occurances of another error attempting to edit images produced by Vuescan (compressed .tif images).  After selecting the image, the message "Out of Memory" pops up and the image is never brought up.  That is not as repeatable so I am not sure what more to say in that case.  For both types of these images (the Vuescan and the Ctein sample) I have not had the same problem when I repeat the action with X4.  

I am running Windows 7 on an Intel quad processor.  

NOTE:  The problem with image slicing of large images seems to have been fixed in X5.  In the past I had to revert back to Photopaint release 12 to do this but now I am on a new system and am glad not to have to go back and install release 12 for that work!