Locked JPGs & PNGs on Win7 Redux

Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Okay this locking of JPGs & PNGs in PP on Windows & is really becoming a PITA if you are editing files to be shared on a network. It effectively disables sharing of that file after you have edited it.  I decided to look into the matter further to narrow down what is actually happening.  The matrix gets a bit complicated because I tried a whole slew of combinations.

If you have a file in a shared or Public folder, it will have a user/group "Everybody" and/or Windows 7's new "Homeuser" attached to define the share permissions. Essentially what is happening is the  Window's "Everybody" and/or "Homeuser" security profile is being stripped off of the file after you save it in PP.

If you take a normal JPG  and you check the properties "Properties > Security" In the Group or Users list will be "Everybody" and/or "Homeuser". It will be at a minimum "Read" and "Read & Execute" set.  Edit in PP and save it and when you check the properties again the "Everybody" and "Homeuser" will be removed and the lock will appear on the icon, (and the trouble with network sharing begins!)

If you save as PNG the same think happens.

If you save as another file type, such as BMP, PSD, TIF, the "Everybody" and "Homeuser" is preserved and the file is not locked.

Strangely enough if you open a JPG where "Everybody" and "Homeuser" have been stripped and save as a BMP or any one of the other formats the "Everybody" and "Homeuser" permissions are RESTORED!

Of course there is no problem if you save to a fold not shared like your Desktop there is no problem because the "Everybody" and "Homeuser" are not present to begin with (unless you are sharing your Desktop!)

Same thing happens in CorelDraw when exporting as JPG or PNG.

Since this seems confined to the JPG & PNG filter like the SP3  JPG & PNG filter problem that the recent hotfix addressed (Whew! Luckily the hotfix works) I tested if checking the "DO not show the filter dialog" would have any effect.  It did not, but I do speculate that the problem is in the JPG & PNG filter improperly handling Windows 7 (maybe Vista?) user groups.

I hope we can get a fix here  as this really interferes with workflow in a network environment.   

--

Jonathan