How to separate part of a photo from a background, seamlessly?

Note: I am a novice user of Photo Paint.

I have a light box I have set up for taking photos on a neutral white background.  I wish to remove the background to have it appear as a single, solid white background color, while making a nice seamless transition from the image to the white background.  Here is a sample image I wish to edit:

http://www.pathfinderminis.com/039a.jpg

To do this, I normally select the Magic Wand Mask tool on the existing background and it will remove 95% of the background.  The Magic Wand Mask has great problems though, trying to separate where the base of the miniature is in contact with the white fabric, that it is sitting on.  I have spent a lot of time experimenting and have yet to find a nice quick and easy way to completely remove the background as depicted.

Any suggestions?

• Hello helpneeded; To start with I have never used X5, but in X7 I would use Cutout Lab in PP. It depends on the pic. but a lot of times I just use the Eraser Tool in DRAW.
      Down load the Trial of X7  and give it  a try, But I think I would wait Until Corel gets all the bugs ironed out.

Good Luck, George

• you can enhance bright and contrast in order to have a better background before to use the magic wand