Problem in Color Setting

Hi All,

I'm a graphic designer by my hobby. I'm using corel draw from it's 4th version. Recently I decided to purchase Corel Draw X5. So I download the trial from internet.

But, its disappointed me. When I print text/line art from X5, its prints sharp dotted lines. And the solids are not perfect solid. I opened some files from X4, and same result. But when I create a file in X5 and save it to X4, then print it from X4, its perfect. I'm using a HP LajerJet 5000 & Samsung ML1610 Printer.

What is wrong with Corel X5? or the Color setting?

my setting is :

Parents
No Data
  • RaviR said:
    What is wrong with Corel X5? or the Color setting?

Nothing, however our default settings do not work well with your workflow. Based on your description the most probable cause of the problem is that you have your black colors in the document defined as CMYK black but you are printing to GDI ( non-PostScript ) printer that does not support CMYK colors. CMYK colors get converted to RGB by the color engine, profile-based colorimetric conversions do not convert CMYK 0 0 0 100 to RGB 0 0 0, hence printer will use halftoned ( dithered ) fills instead of using solid black ink. CMYK colors are best used in the workflows where they can be natively supported ( PostScript printing and PDF output ). The solution is to enable "Preserve pure black" option in Tools/Color Management/Default Settings dialog, it will ensure CMYK 0 0 0 100 is converted to RGB 0 0 0. X4 merely has this option always turned on in print engine, you would get different results converting colors in the app and printing, depending to whom you talk this might be a good or bad thing.

The problem is that we assumed our users know a difference between GDI and PostScript printing and difference between RGB and CMYK, which is not a case on much grander scale then we ever anticipated. We are working on making these things more straightforward at the same time ensuring we are not breaking color managed workflows.

Gennady

Children